Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2003, 01:20 AM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Percy Weasley
But it comes down to this - someone has to be brave and stop the cycle of violence. Someone has to say "I am not doing this anymore." Will they suffer for it? Probably. Nobody would say that the followers of Gandhi had an easy time, or that they didn't suffer.
How would the world have conquered Hitler and the Japanese Empire by just saying "we're not going to do this anymore"? As I said - sometimes force has to be used to bring about a greater peace. We went into Bosnia as I have said in previous posts - Meloshivic didn't have wmd, and didn' attack another country - yet Europe and US went in there to end the bloodshed. Meloshevic is another one who would not have backed down through negotiations.
Quote:

As for the United States being the policemen of the world - this can be done in a non-violent way as well as a violent one. We control such a huge percentage of the world economy that it could easily be used as leverage, and if we are patient enough, would work as well as violence.
Our control over the world economy can be used as leverage with our trading partners. But the Middle East is basically only in one direction. They have the western world in their grasp because they control the majority of the oil that goes to Europe and Japan and to a lesser extent America. If they decided to restrict production - we will have an economic disaster on our hands.

I think there has to be a balance between military and diplomacy. I feel we ran out of diplomacy with Hussein. We use diplomacy with Iran and we are forced to with North Korea and other countries. But sometimes - it's a time to say - diplomacy is not going to work and it's time to take action.

Okay - you posted somethings in the post above that may make some of my points mute. Anyway - I do think that the war in Iraq was worth it - and it will be proved to have been worth it in the future. Even Churchill was hated before World War II because the world did not share his fear of Hitler. Today we know he was right all along and if the world listened to him - millions upon millions of people could have been saved and a great war would have been avoided.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-18-2003 at 01:26 AM.