Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2003, 03:48 AM   #11
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Oh I definately doubt that South Afrika is the only land where languages are compulsory subjects. Here in Flanders (Vlaanderen, the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium) we get French at the age of 11 (decided not to mention the grades because I'm pretty sure they won't correspond with the way other people's education system is divided).

It's compulsory, although not in Wallonia (Wallonië, the French-speaking part of Belgium), they get the choice between English and Dutch and I'm not sure if either of them are compulsory. Which is why a reasonable part of the Flemish can speak French but only a few people in Wallonia seem to be willing to take Dutch lessons. But I'm not going into that any further, language strife goes back a long time in my country and it'll takes ages to explain it fully.

I got English at the age of 13 and German at the age of 17, both compulsory. Though I believe that defers from school to school and the type of education you take.

o sure isnt. in indian schools (english medium). English is compulsory thru out. then we have our local language, and a foreign language or an ancient indian language(sanskrit), meant to be taken to earn required credits to get promoted to the next grade level.

i took Sanskrit, and i failed 2 times. my scores: 32/100 then i improved with 36/100, and then somehow a whopping 95/100. go sanskrit!

and on the matter of britich or american english, i think the Indian variant is the BEST!

at least we know how to spell "color", our color is "colour".

and unlike the Americans we dont have so many "z" in our words.

Surprizingly it isnt Americanz. the way things are going all the damned S's will be removed and replaced with "Z's". And it is only an issue of time before they are called Americanz.