Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2002, 09:30 PM   #1
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Choosing A Major

Being a junior in high school, it's about time I get serious about deciding what college I want to go to, and what I major in. Basically, what I'm going to do with the rest of my life.

And like any respectable teenager, I've been having trouble making up my mind. For nearly four years, I was completely set on being a marine biologist. I adore biology, and dolphins are one of my favorite animals (I have an entire wall of my room lined with my dolphin collection). Then, in ninth grade I changed my mind, because I've always struggled in math, and I didn't know if I wanted to take calculus and physics simply to study dolphins.

After bouncing around ideas from performing arts to history I settled down on journalism, while considering psychology and history still.

And recently, after a discussion with my mom (akin to those 'you can be anything you want', but she actually said "Be more unique") I've changed my mind again, back to biology, with a minor in photography. I would like to work as a wildlife rehabilitator, or specialize in raising abandoned young at zoos or wildlife reserves.

But I'm still shaky and insecure. I'm worried about taking the hardcore classes, and getting ahold of scholarships.

The point of this thread is, to those who have chosen their majors, whether they've started, are in, or have finished school, how did you decide on something so important?

(Please don't close this thread, though it is a 'poll' thread. I mean it to be utterly serious.)