Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2002, 03:34 PM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I think that since we are humans, we are able to freely choose what we consider important; physical attractions or personality. Isn't it a little too easy to say that we can't change things? It's a question of how we want our society to be like.
But obviously, most posters here doesn't want the same as me
Of course personality is more important and in the perfect world people wouldn't look at the way someone talks, walks or looks. But in reality - both matter. And on INITIAL impressions - looks matter more.

When it comes to Hollywood stars - everyone sees them on the screen - very few people know what they are really like. My sister worked at a PR agency in Hollywood - a lot of stars that people like are not nice at all, but they have the looks (and some have the talent). But the audience judges actors on their looks. Why does everyone seem to be fawning all over Elijah Wood? He played Frodo - he's not Frodo. Most people seem to like him because of his looks. He is a good actor though - I've seen most of his movies. But usually when people like an actor or musician or something - it's not because of personality - it's because of looks (sometimes because the get the character confused with the actor and sometimes because they're talented).

By the way - I agree that some things are influenced by the media. It does have an influence with the magazine covers and everything else, but it's our decision as to whether we want o accept what they give us. It's sort of funny how everyone is still going on about Marilyn Monroe, but by todays "standards" she would be considered overweight. But the waif look was brought on by viewers, not just the media. I've heard people say things - "man they're getting fat" when they see an actor come back from being on break. Sorry - but if Jennifer Aniston gained 200 hundred pounds, most people wouldn't want to see her in the role she currently plays on Friends. I have a friend, who actually said that Britney Spears can lose some weight. I tried explaining to her that Britney Spears is in shape - not waif thin with no muscles.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-06-2002 at 03:39 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote