Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

The constitution

I just got asked by an on campus newspaper what does the constitution mean to you? it is a vague question i realize, (and i hope the obscure paper realizes it too ) but i digress. My answer to that question was that it was one of the founding documents of the united states and IMO should be the foundation of law when it came to courts making decisions (i.e..the supreme court)

what does it mean to the rest of you?
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by rohirrim TR : 09-12-2005 at 02:52 PM.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i think it's an incredible document for it's time... the work of some of the greatest minds of their time on the best way to govern a country with a very diverse population and diverse interests

that said, its ultimate power is in its flexibility and ability to be changed (though it takes a lot of consensus to make that change)... it should not be seen as an almost "biblical" piece of paper that is the end-all system of the United States (which is how it is seen by some)

and btw, the power of the supreme courts to decide whether or not any given law complies with constitional law stems from the constitution itself... congress passes laws, the supreme court assures they fit the constitutional framework... and if the congress does not like the answer, they have the power to ammend the constitution... it's all in the system
Old 09-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
rohirrim TR

I totally agree with you.
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
rohirrim TR

brownjenkins made me think of something, he said jokingly "the constitution is evlolving" but should it,
should it be a living document or should it be set in stone? and how much power should the supreme court be given?
Quote:
Old 10-10-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

it should be evolving, just difficult to change... as the many amendments show... the founding fathers came up with some good ideas, but times change and situations arise that were unforeseen
Old 10-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
rohirrim TR

yeah, i agree, the system works, the supreme court should balance congress and vice versa, the key to keeping america a democratic republic is keeping governement limited
Quote: