Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2002, 11:42 PM   #1
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Hostages in Moscow

Just heard on the news (ABC's Nightline) that the hostage situation in Moscow is over, but no definitive news yet about how many people have died or have been injured.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:20 AM   #2
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
I heard that too, but on a different channel (Fox). I was surprised and a little upset that, as a situation where hundreds of lives were at stake, it didn't get any more coverage than it did. Well, not a little upset, actually. I was so upset that no one seemed to be saying anything about it that I had to leave the room! I'm just thankful that it's over and they'd been able to get the hostages out of there.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:35 AM   #3
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I think I understand what you mean by being upset. I don't know what the coverage was like in other countries, but it seems US channels don't bother much with situations involving non-US people, even when it is such a terrible event involving many people. I suppose it's only human nature to pay more attention to your own, but we do tend to ignore events that don't involve US citizens. Even when it's terrorism.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:46 AM   #4
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
I know, but I don't think I've ever seen a situation where we paid this little attention to something so important. I wonder if there was more coverage anywhere else? (I mean other than Russia, where I'm guessing this would have gotten a lot of coverage).
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 03:34 AM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

We didn't get much coverage of it over here either.

The way it was resolved was perhaps not the best one. I wonder how many civilians got taken out by the russians.

EDIT: Sorry, I was not aware that the terrorists were killing off the hostages.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-26-2002 at 03:41 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 03:37 AM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

This has been the main topic in Norwegian news these days. Russian special forces took action when the terrorists started to kill hostages this morning. Latest update is that 10 hostages are killed and also 36 of the 50 terrorists are killed.

I'm glad it's over now. My honour to the Russian special forces.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:44 PM   #7
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

cee2lee2 you said "but it seems US channels don't bother much with situations involving non-US people, even when it is such a terrible event involving many people."
There actually were U.S. hostages. at least 3. and i don't know where, i'm guessing some other country, they showed on live TV the people shooting someone. or maybe they just showed the person being carried out dead. anyway it must have looked awful. but it's over right? kind of off the subject but they caught the snipers too.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:18 PM   #8
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Elven Archer
they showed on live TV the people shooting someone. or maybe they just showed the person being carried out dead.
At one point one of the female hostages tried to escape, and was shot in the attempt. She was carried out by red cross personnel, dead. It must have been that incident you watched in the news.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:37 PM   #9
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I think the news covered the Russian hostage situation a lot. Nightline had several shows devoted to it - including doing an interview with a Russian reporter on "Up Close". World News Tonight also covered it a lot.

Obvisouly around here though - the sniper killer in the Maryland area was covered much more (sometimes too much in my opinion). There is only so much news that can be covered at one time. The attacks in Israel also weren't covered as much during this time.

I'm glad that both situations are over with. It is upsetting that 90 hostages died - but still 750 were saved. If Russia didn't do something - there is hardly any doubt that the terrorists would have blown up the theater. Then we would looking at everyone dead and wondering why something wasn't done to rescue them.

Sometimes hard choices have to be made and they're not always 100% successful.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-26-2002 at 11:46 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 02:38 AM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Sometimes hard choices have to be made and they're not always 100% successful.
very true

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:15 PM   #11
Artanis

Well, the terrorists sure succeeded in bringing the Tsjetsjenian (sp?) war into the media. At least here in Norway. And I'm afraid there will be more terrorist actions like this one.

jerseydevil, I'm also glad they've taken the sniper. That situation disturbed me much more than the hostage event in Russia. It must have affected far more people.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:52 PM   #12
Sween
im quite stupid

Just saw on news that of the 200 hundred dead or so only 1 died from a bullet wound the otherts were from the gas . What the hell was in that stuff?
Old 10-27-2002, 03:58 PM   #13
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Just saw on news that of the 200 hundred dead or so only 1 died from a bullet wound the otherts were from the gas . What the hell was in that stuff?
Supposedly it was a "sleeping" gas. The hostages were very weak from lack of food. It was reported that the gas had such a strong affect because the people hadn't eaten since the hostage situation had started. It's not like theatres have a lot of food and drinks.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-27-2002, 04:13 PM   #14
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Sleeping gas? I don't know.... I heard about 100 hostages dead, most of them by gas poisoning and still about a 100 more still in intensive care. It was also said that the russian military might have used stuff a little more dangerous that sleeping gas. Apparently the military also doesn't want to tell just what gas they used. (not sure about that one, my sister just told me)

Although the fact that the hostages hadn't eaten might have had some influence there. According to the teletext they only had some chocolate left to eat the last day or two.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:22 PM   #15
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Sleeping gas? I don't know.... I heard about 100 hostages dead, most of them by gas poisoning and still about a 100 more still in intensive care. It was also said that the russian military might have used stuff a little more dangerous that sleeping gas. Apparently the military also doesn't want to tell just what gas they used. (not sure about that one, my sister just told me)
Well it wasn't sleeping gas like you get at the hospital. The military had to knock out the terrorists enough though so they couldn't detonate their explosives.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-27-2002, 04:36 PM   #16
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Well it wasn't sleeping gas like you get at the hospital. The military had to knock out the terrorists enough though so they couldn't detonate their explosives.
very true JD the official 'sleeping gas' line didnt wash with me much either. They needed a inistant nock out my dad whos got a degree in chemistry assures me that sleeping gas will not do this unless in a very pure state. Not eaten? I heard that they were treating them well and food was been sent in.

My guess is that they did not use sleeping gas probably something much more effective. Is there acctually any reported cases of people falling asleep?

The Russians have allways been not the most carefull that pic of the guy going underneath the reactor at chenobobly whats the hell were they thinking?
Old 10-27-2002, 04:51 PM   #17
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by sween
My guess is that they did not use sleeping gas probably something much more effective. Is there acctually any reported cases of people falling asleep?
I think, well, they guessed in the newspaper, that the gas was a combination between a sleeping gas and a nerve gas, witch is pretty lethal.

Quote:
originally posted by sween
The Russians have allways been not the most carefull that pic of the guy going underneath the reactor at chenobobly whats the hell were they thinking?
They probably thought that's the best way, and the safest way. The Russians still didn't say somerthing against this action.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 05:02 PM   #18
Sween
im quite stupid

im sorry but putting a guy under a leaky reactor with no safety gear is never ever the safest course of action. My dad worked at sellefeild for 20 years so i know a bit about nuclear reactors (yes my bedtime storys were indeed that fun).

Yes they probably did use a mixed gas if they used a mixed gas at all. Ive a feeling they would of just used a nerve gas i dont think there was any sleeping gas present and there was not much.

But with anything you have to weigh up the pro's and cons i dont understand the sition enough to sya well russia should of gioven them chetzenia etc.

But there is one thing im sure of once people start killing and show that level of commitment to the cause its not so much about getting them all out allthough that is the ideal its about ending it without any AVOIDIABLE complications.

Im sure the facts will come to light so i know there was brits in there and if there isnt an investigation ill be writting another letter to dear old tony.

I would hate to think that the russian army had been careless in this matter.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:31 PM   #19
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Not eaten? I heard that they were treating them well and food was been sent in.
I didn't hear anything about them having food sent in. I know that several times that (at least this is what was reported) that the terrorists had scheduled times to talk but then kept coming up with some excuse why they wouldn't meet when the time had come.

In the Star Ledger today it said -
Quote:
Vasilyev said none of the 67 initial victims died from gas poinsoning, He said nine died because of heart problems, shock or lack of medicine....

Government film of the aftermath showed dead female hostage-takers sitting in red plush theater seats, in black robes and veils, heads thrown back or bent over, indicating they may have been shot while unconscious. precisely placed bullet holes could be seen in their heads. One had a gas mask on her face.

The TV footage showed the camouflage-clad body of the assailants leader, movsar Barayev, lying onhis back amid blood and broken glass.

A congnac bottle could be seen near Barayev's hand and syringes were scattered in the litter surrounding the corpses of other gunmen, their faces masked by blood. Vasilyev said puncture marks, possibly from drug injections, were found on some gunmen's bodies.....

Olga Chernyak, an Interfax news agency reporter caught in the hostage audience, said the gunmen killed a woman and a man "before our eyes."

"They shot the man in the eye; there was a lot of blood," Interfax quoted her as saying from her hospital bed. She said she lost consciousness soon after, apparently because of the gas...
This I added later - as more news related to the above information came out.
Quote:
Gas Use Questioned in Moscow Raid
Those who stopped to talk gave accounts that sometimes contradicted the official version.

Podlesny questioned Russian television footage that showed the captors' corpses in the theater amid liquor bottles and syringes. "They didn't drink, didn't smoke, didn't swear. They were very disciplined," he said.

Podlesny and Georgy Vasilyev, producer of Nord-Ost, disputed Russian officials' statement that the guerrillas had begun shooting hostages before dawn and prompting the special forces' assault.
Quote:

There were probably some deaths from the gas though.
That was during the Soviet era - under a totalitarian regiem. You did what you were told and you "trusted" the state.

These actions do nothing to generate sympathy for muslim situations around the world. They may have taken hostages because of the war in Checnya - but I think most people just view it now as just a bunch of muslim fanatics that kill innocent people.

The Sniper here ended up being a "black muslim". He had declared to people that he supported the actions on 9/11. I won't prejudge all Arabs or Muslims - but these actions will eventually have a negative affect on innocent Muslim lives. Muslim American Society It is interesting how the Muslim American Society - condemns the terrorist attacks on 9/11, the "occupation" by Israel, US foreign policy, etc, but seems to be silent on the Palestinian Suicide Bombers.

American Muslim Alliance. When Muslims condem the action of ALL terrorist - including the suicide bombers against innocent Israeli citizens - then maybe I will consider that they are impartial and their concerns should be listened to. The taking of innocent lives in retaliation does nothing to bring sympathy to their cause.

What will eventually happen is that the majority of people will just start viewing all Muslims and Arabs as terrorists.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-28-2002 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:56 AM   #20
jerseydevil

Although 100+ hostages have died and 150 are in critical condition in the hospital at this point - I probably would have instituted a similar operation. I had told a friend that they should "gas" the place in order to make the terrorist disoriented or knocked out. I don't know what kind of gas they used - whether something less strong, but just as affective might have been available. Maybe the operation could have been carried out better - but hindsight is 20/20.

Quote:
Gas killed 115 Moscow hostages
A reporter for the Interfax news agency, Olga Chernyak, who was among the hostages, was quoted by Interfax as saying: "We were all waiting to die. We understood that they would not let us out alive."

She added that two hostages were shot in response to a young boy having a tantrum and running for the exit.

"He dashed towards the exit, shouting: 'Mummy, I don't know what to do.' They opened fire on him, but missed and hit seated people instead," she told Russian television from her hospital bed late on Saturday.
As far as I'm concerned - these people are no better and in some cases worse than whatever problems they are dealing with. I will never side with terrorists that do this type of thing. Blowing up military installations is one thing - taking the lives of innocent men, women and children is another. I have no pity for suicide bombers, the IRA, the Checyna rebels, the muslim extremists or any other group that purposely take the lives of innocent people.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-28-2002 at 12:58 AM.