Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-10-2004, 08:11 AM   #1
Shelob's Hubby
Enting

Martial Arts

Does anyone else on the moot take any form of martial arts? If so, what style of martial art, how long have you been taking it, what do you think of it, how much do you like it, what rank are you, etc...

I have been a member of the Order of Isshinryu Karate for almost three years and am a second-degree brown belt. I love my style and my sensei and love to spar. I am very interested in other styles so if you take anything, don't be shy.

Shelob's Hubby

I think so Brain, but without ears, we look like weasels.

"The next time I lent an ax to a surgeon, I would pick my century." A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

The Last Alliance of Orcs and Spiders
Shelob's Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:58 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There's an old thread around somewhere, but I seem to recall that both spock and afro elf were big on martial arts... and liked to argue about it too!

I used to do Taekwondo... I'd like to get back into it sometime, and make it to black belt (I got up to blue belt, red tip).

IIRC, Earniel and Falagar both do Karate...

*BoP still rues the time she attempted to "lift" Earniel's pants, and got a swift kick in the shin*
Old 09-10-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
*BoP still rues the time she attempted to "lift" Earniel's pants, and got a swift kick in the shin*
I did? Well, I doubt I'm still as fast now so I'll have to watch my pants more carefully. I have barely trained this last year. Too much work with my thesis and my work experience came between. I've been trying to pick it up again but I have to force myself go to trainings and I feel like a sac of potatoes, a very stupid and slow sac of potatoes that is unworthy of my 7th kyu that is. I need to get back into shape rather desperately.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
Mercutio

In case you didn't realize it Shelob's Hubby (do I have to type all that out when I talk to you? ), Beard of Pants (BoP) steals people's pants. So beware.

Now that I think of it, she never tried to get mine...*quickly runs away*

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
katya
Elven Maiden

I'm going to start kendo pretty soon. I've wanted to learn some martial arts ever since Power Rangers (about 1st grade!), and I'm really excited about it! I already have my shinai, and also my hakama and gi, and I'm anxiously awaiting my armor that was supposed to arrive in August. Yeah....so I don't really know anything yet except a couple very very basic things, but still, that's enough too get me totally psyched! Yeah!
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm a red belt in TKD (Tai Kwon Do... however you spell that ) and I also have a blue belt in Kung Jung Mu Sul (Royal Korean Martial Arts).

I took the TKD when I was maybe... tenish. My whole family took it, and we were about three months away from our black belts when my mom hurt herself walking the dog (he damaged one of her fingers and seriously hurt her shoulder. i.e. she couldn't make a fist with one hand and she was in major pain for years with that shoulder). Not only that, we ended up moving and it was an hour to get there and an hour back, so we dropped out.

Then just last year, when I had nothing to do and had been forced to drop out of gymnastics because the gym here was awful, I asked my parents if I could take a form of martial arts. I ended up in Kung Jung Mu Sul, and I LOVED it at first.

Then I reached yellow belt and had to start sparring . I really hate sparring- I don't like the concept of trying to hurt someone and having them trying to hurt me back. Yes I know what you're going to say, and I know the reasons, but I still dislike it. I'm not a physical person in ANY way (as I've found out playing tag football with some other guys... I dun like tagging or being tagged).

So anyways, I ended up dropping out of KJMS.

If I do take up karaty again, it's going to be one of the "soft" styles that doesn't require you to spar and/or is kata based. I'm perfectly willing to and capable of defending myself with what I know, but I just hate sparring like nothing else.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
Shelob's Hubby
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
In case you didn't realize it Shelob's Hubby (do I have to type all that out when I talk to you? ), Beard of Pants (BoP) steals people's pants. So beware.

Now that I think of it, she never tried to get mine...*quickly runs away*
Oh, well then I already foiled BoP's plan. I never wear pants when I'm online anyway. And no, you don't have to type my name out.

I think so Brain, but without ears, we look like weasels.

"The next time I lent an ax to a surgeon, I would pick my century." A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

The Last Alliance of Orcs and Spiders
Shelob's Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*BoP's mind runs away with her* Oh yes? Are you one of those... Tolkien... fetishists? ....

<edit on topic>

As for sparring, I used to love it! Where else would I get a chance to go two against one... wait... that came out wrong....

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-11-2004 at 04:00 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #9
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelob's Hubby
Oh, well then I already foiled BoP's plan. I never wear pants when I'm online anyway.
What makes you so sure that will stop her!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #10
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Well, I doubt I'm still as fast now so I'll have to watch my pants more carefully.
As carefully as I'm watching them?

I did Judo in junior school. I kicked ass. But then in one tournament someone punched me in my eye, and it felt sour.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Ahh, yes, people hit back.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:27 AM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
As carefully as I'm watching them?
I thought you were watching Lizra's pants so unless you're a chameleon.... Hm, I now see the reason for your slight obsession with the right sunglasses....
Old 09-14-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Hey, who says I'm not?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:00 AM   #14
Varda
Elven Warrior

Tang Soo Do -- Former Red Belt

From when I was 11 to about 17, I went to Martial Arts America. My style was Tang Soo Do (similar to but slightly different from Tae Kwon Do). I rose to the level of red belt in my senior year of high school (after many hours of testing and training). Sadly, that year after my red belt test, I fell and sprained an ankle, tore some ligaments and by the time I was recuperated from this semi-serious injury, I was almost ready to leave for college (where I am now, 5 years later). I returned once two years after leaving, but I had lost so much skill and gotten so out of shape that they reduced my rank back down to white belt. I only managed one test before I restarted college again that fall.

I tried Tae Kwon Do also at my school, a free no-credit PE class. I became bored with the level of instruction, as much was left out and I was with beginners. Also, TKD has a different style. Plus, I had to race across campus to my next class after sweating like a pig! So, I didn't enjoy and soon dropped the class.

Anyway, I've seen and read about a lot of other martial arts but never tried any. I'm interested in Shotakan, which is Japanese and more what people tend to call "karate". Also, Brazillian Capoeira and Jiu Jitsu interest me as well.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:10 AM   #15
Varda
Elven Warrior

Oh yeah... my godfather, dad's best friend went four times in four months to Japan! Not for martial arts but for some kind of sacred spot he believed would help him? I don't know. He's an interesting character. Just throwing that out there...
Old 02-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Wow, nice comments; I'll respond in reverse order. Varda: There are several places of power in Japan, mostly on Hoikaido (where Tokyo is) but another I know of on Kyushu. You can feel the power when you go to places like that if you are at all sensitive as I am. Brazillian Capoeira and Jiu Jitsu are mainly different as there is much more of a dance movement in the former. It takes a lot of stamina for a Capoeira person to do moves. Jiu Jitsu (where I hold Yondan rankings and a teaching license) is excellent for self defense and can be done by anyone of any age and most any physical condition; much like Aikido. Shotokan is a VERY hard style and so be prepared for many bruises and possibly worse if you don't get a good instructor or partner.
STARR POLISH: IS tengu sword, based on the spirit of the same name---no problem I only pointed out that the Tengu was a mythical creature and not a sword. If your system says such a god taught someone back in the 16th or 17th centrury then fine. If your systems roots are 19-20th century, I'd be very skeptical. No matter, if you like sword you can call it Howdy Doody style, as long as it works.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #17
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Ha, I agree...the name doesn't matter, it's effectiveness does. I'm almost positive the style we're working in was created before the 18th century. My school focuses on older styles (though we do spar, which I have heard is considered a modern way of training), and tries not to Americanize it very much. We focus on the actual art and the self defense, not tournament technique. WHich means, the older you get, the more fun things you get to learn that are illegal in tournaments. Fun fun.

In my hapkido do-jang it's all about intense training and partner work. It's completely self defense: there is no sparring, kata, or tournaments. I hope, once I raise in ranks in hapkido, I'll be able to join the judo club under the same instructor. Judo does participate in tournaments, but I'm more interested in the practical application (sparring) with the throws and choke holds I've learned in hapkido. It'll probably be a year or two until I think I'm ready for the level of judo that the do-jang expects, however. The training at my university is much more intense and it goes MUCH faster, but I really, really enjoy it. The level of concentration, respect, and focus in this class is helping me with a lot of other areas in my life.

I really enjoy hapkido's three principles: The water principle, circular motion, and nonresistance. I'm not a very big person, and I need to stop trying to use my limited strenght against an opponent...my partners and instructor say I'm getting better, though.

edit: Just a note...my hapkido instructor is a Korean immigrant, and thus the style of teaching is Korean (and strict! but he can still be funny). My old dojo focuses a lot on a mix of Japanese and Korean instruction, though mildy Americanized in it's not extremely disciplined (though I hear lately they've become more strict and are using more and more traditional Japanese ways of lining up, enforcing the use of "sir and ma'am", etc.). IT's been interesting to know the differences and similarities between the two. I noticed at my last class the way one of hte choke holds in hapkido is actually an application in one of the higher katas in my karate/mma class.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 02-07-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #18
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

[QUOTE=Starr Polish]Ha, I agree...the name doesn't matter, it's effectiveness does. I'm almost positive the style we're working in was created before the 18th century. My school focuses on older styles (though we do spar, which I have heard is considered a modern way of training), and tries not to Americanize it very much. We focus on the actual art and the self defense, not tournament technique.
EXCELLENT APPROACH (NOT SHOUTING JUST TO HIGHLIGHT THE REPLY)
STRICT ASIAN TEACHINGS ARE WHAT I WAS BROUGHT UP ON ALSO AND THEY CAN BE MORE DIFFICULT AND IN THIS DAY OF SUING SOMEONE FOR A HOT CUP OF COFFEE, MANY INSTRUCTORS HAVE CHANGED THE STYLES. I PERSONALLY TURNED DOWN AN OFFER RECENTLY TO TEACH LOCALLY FOR THAT VERY REASON. I'M HAPPY IN RETIREMENT .

In my hapkido do-jang YOU MIGHT WANT TO RENT "BILLY JACK" WHICH BON SU HAN (SPELLING?) DOES THE MARTIAL ARTS WORK. IT SHOWS THIS ARE FOR THE FIRST TIME TO US AUDIENCES. IT WAS RELEASED IN '71 AND AGAIN IN '73. I'VE SEEN IT ON LINE FOR UNDER $8.
Judo does participate in tournaments--YES BECAUSE UNDER GENERAL MACARTHUR NO MARTIAL ARTS COULD BE TAUGHT IN JAPAN SO THEY MADE IT A SPORT AND GOT AROUND "THE ROUND EYES IGNORANCE" BY THAT. ONCE YOU REACH DAN LEVEL IN JUDO IT BECOMES QUITE DEADLY.
I really enjoy hapkido's three principles: The water principle, circular motion, and nonresistance. THOSE ARE ALSO FOUNDATIONS OF AIKIDO AND NINJITSU ALTHOUGH THE LATER HAS A FEW OTHER ASPECTS AS WELL.
YOU APPEAR TO HAVE FOUND A GROUNDED TEACHER. I FEEL YOU WILL GROW AND ENJOY THE ARTS MUCH MORE NOW. .....FALL EASY......
Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #19
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Capitals For Clarity Of Reply

edit: FOR A BRIEF TIME, SEVERAL YEARS AGO, I PARTNERED WITH THE OWNER OF A KEMPO STUDIO AND WE TOO FOUND SOME TECHNIQUES OF JIU JITSU ARE SIMILAR TO HIGHER KEMPO STYLES. JUST REMEMBER WHAT BRUCE LEE SAID "USE WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU".
Old 02-08-2005, 04:26 AM   #20
Varda
Elven Warrior

I heard of Kempo. Is it Korean? I know Hapkido is, right? I feel like I have a smattering of knowledge of various arts, but not enough that I understand many more than my own, lol.

Last edited by Varda : 02-08-2005 at 04:38 AM.
Varda is offline   Reply With Quote