Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2003, 03:20 PM   #1
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Why the hell?

why the hell, cant sauron make a new ring?
why the hell has tolkien portryed him to be such a looser, who duznt even know where the ring is headed.
how the hell two stupid hobbits in the middle of U knwo where, survive, and make it thru.
this is all too fantastic. quite unbelievable.
congressmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

It's a fantasy story.....

Have you taken your Ridlin today?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 04:00 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Why the hell?

Quote:
Originally posted by congressmn
why the hell, cant sauron make a new ring?
why the hell has tolkien portryed him to be such a looser, who duznt even know where the ring is headed.
how the hell two stupid hobbits in the middle of U knwo where, survive, and make it thru.
this is all too fantastic. quite unbelievable.
Sauron can not make another ring because a great part of his power and essence went into the Ring of Power. The ring was Sauron and Sauron was the Ring.

Tolkien does not portray him to be a loser, but an evil character in all respects.

The Hobbits were the perfect choice to take the ring and destroy it, because as Gandalf had said, Hobbits were creatures that Sauron had never paid attention to and so perhaps he would not notice their quiet footsteps in Mordor.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:33 PM   #4
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
If you haven't read the books DONT READ!

Quote:
Haven't you read the books? Or did you miss the fact that the Lands of the West were setting up a ploy to distract his attention?

When Pippin looked into the Palantir Sauron thought that Saruman had him captive and therefore he thought that meant that Pippin was the Ring bearer because Saruman was trying to get the Ring, but when the Nazgul went to Orthanc after Pippin talked to Sauron they didn't find the hobbit there because he WASN'T captive.
They reported back to their master that the hobbit was absent from Orthanc which to Sauron translated as "The halfling is FINALLY being taken to Minas Tirith by Mithrandir." Remember Sauron suspected that the ring would be taken to Minas Tirith because he thought the Ring would corrupt their minds. Gandalf expected this, so he took Pippin to Minas Tirith as a ploy.
Aragorn then took the Palantir and looked into it, revealing himself as the Heir of Isildur and the one who would rule Middle Earth which kind of thickend the disguise because then Sauron's mind would be assailed with doubts which happened so Sauron showed Aragorn the Corsairs of Umbar and their alligiance with his (Saurons) army which happened to be composed of all the stinking Orcs in Mordor...so Sauron empties half of Mordor in preperation to over come Gondor.
Aragorn leaves for the Paths of the Dead and the Rohirrim ride to Minas Tirith's defense. Aragorn returns and flattens the orc army...but then he and the army of Gondor and Rohan ride to Mordor to create a HUGE diversion by offering themselves as ploys.
Sauron then makes two HUGE mistakes that cost him Middle Earth, his Ring and his life. He empties Mordor of the remaining orcs, and turns his eye and his thoughts (which communitcated and called to the Ring) towards the pitifully inatiquite army at his gates...because there were no more orcs left Sam and Frodo could slip past easily and because he was paying attention to the armies of Rohan and Gondor he didn't hear the Ring calling him until Frodo claimed it for his own at the Cracks of Doom...but then it was too late. The West had won.
That is one of the oldest tricks in the book...and he didn't get it.
Cheers,
sam
ps. dont call the hobits stupid.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:00 PM   #5
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
why the hell...
Hell is a place so I wouldn't use that word as lightly as you seem to be doing, if I were you...

And read the books again, and pay closer attention, because you'll see that it all really does make sense.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:31 PM   #6
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

I agree with you, Shadowfax.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Re: Why the hell?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
Hell is a place
Depends on what your beliefs are
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:53 PM   #8
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

It's "Udûn," people: "Udûn."

Anyway, thanks, samwise of the shire, great post, and especially:
Quote:
They reported back to their master that the hobbit was absent from Orthanc which to Sauron translated as "The halfling is FINALLY being taken to Minas Tirith by Mithrandir." Remember Sauron suspected that the ring would be taken to Minas Tirith because he thought the Ring would corrupt their minds. Gandalf expected this, so he took Pippin to Minas Tirith as a ploy.
I'd never seen it that way before. Of course!
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:52 AM   #9
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Because Hobbits are the best And because WE WANT IT THAT WAY or because we're special....or maybe JRRT was special....I think we're all very very special kids *leaves room*
Old 01-20-2003, 09:05 AM   #10
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
why the hell has tolkien portryed him to be such a looser,
How so?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:19 AM   #11
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Considering that Sauron kept Middle Earth in terror for many long years, brought about the downfall of Numenor, and managed to build a terrifyingly strong empire several times, I'd hardly call him a loser.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #12
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Considering that Sauron kept Middle Earth in terror for many long years, brought about the downfall of Numenor, and managed to build a terrifyingly strong empire several times, I'd hardly call him a loser.
Neither would I, but remember, he lost in the end, giving him the title loser
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:11 PM   #13
congressmn

Finally someone who agrees with me in Entmoot.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #14
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
congressmn:
Finally someone who agrees with me in Entmoot.
Actually, the context in which "loser" appears in Blackboar's post is different to that of the first post in this thread.

So, unfortunately, nobody agrees with you in Entmoot.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:29 PM   #15
congressmn

Quote:
Originally posted by Andúril
Actually, the context in which "loser" appears in Blackboar's post is different to that of the first post in this thread.

So, unfortunately, nobody agrees with you in Entmoot.
ok, i am back to square one then.
the most hated person in Entmoot. sadly
Old 01-20-2003, 03:49 PM   #16
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Well, if you choose 'congressmn' as your screen-name . . . jk.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 01-20-2003, 03:57 PM   #17
congressmn

Well I intend to change it.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:58 PM   #18
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I doubt it......wait until your name apears in someones signature........then you know your hated

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:02 PM   #19
congressmn

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
I doubt it......wait until your name apears in someones signature........then you know your hated
Yes I am waiting for the confirmation. I dont think it is too distant in the future. the way the things are going presently, is shocking enough.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:30 PM   #20
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Fight a Balrog and be reborn as a great wizard, and I guarantee everyone will love you.