Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2002, 11:43 AM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Is this a Photo of Grishnakh?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63898,00.html

Story on The Two Towers, some jerk from Fox News got to watch SIXTEEN MINUTES OF FILM FROM THE TWO TOWERS!!!! Plus, to add insult to injury, the moron says his only interest in Tolkien's books stopped at The Fellowship of the Ring. Pultroon.

Anyways, at the top of the story there is a photograph of a black-faced Orc. He looks like an older Orc, not young and vigorous like the Uruk-Hai. This leads me to believe that this is, if not Grishnakh, one of the Orcs of the Red Eye, and that the argument between the factions WILL appear in the film. I am truly hoping so.

Also, remember from the theater 3.5 minute trailer where Merry and Pippin are looking over this face which looks like it is dead, kinda deformed? I think it's the Orc in the above-referenced photograph.

All in all, I think we're getting a hint that the great scene where Mordor's and Isengard's Orcs are arguing over the captives will be in the film, and that's good news to me, as it is one of my all-time favorite parts of the story.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 01:33 PM   #2
Sween
im quite stupid

Could be. Ive noticed that the mordor orcs from the battle of the last allience look quite diffrent to the Uruk-Hai.

Would new line realease a promotional photo of a character of no intrest what so ever?
Old 09-24-2002, 02:18 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I too love the quibbling between the Mordor and Isengard orcs, but I'm still highly doubtful that this will happen. There is no indication in the film of The Fellowship of the Ring that any orcs were sent besides Saruman's forces from Isengard.

Of course, it should be noted that this black-faced orc does not bear the White Hand on his face, as Saruman's orcs did...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 02:37 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, good point, IP, I had thought about the absence of the White Hand as well, but figured someone could just say the war paint just kinda sweated off.

But this Orc looks different, and as Sween pointed out, does it make a heck of a lot of sense that New Line would release a promotional shot of a minor minor character? And to me, I cannot see the tale being successfully relayed without adding the tension between the Two Towers, but then again, maybe Jackson thought that it would be too confusing to movie audiences to understand that the two could be allied and yet working at cross-purposes to each other at the same time.

If Grishnakh's character and activities are missing from the film, I believe it would be as objectionable as replacing Glorfindel with Arwen, stealing Frodo's lines at the Fords of Bruinen, or turning Frodo into a running coward on Amon Sul. However, much to our collective chagrin, all these changes to the story WERE perpetrated, so it is highly possible that Grishnak is out, Saruman dies impaled on a spike at Isengard, and the Scouring is omitted entirely, as the rumors have us believing so far.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:35 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well, I would argue that the tension between Barad-dur and Orthanc isn't being entirely omitted. I never quite understood where, after the release of FOTR, people came up with the whole argument that the film made Saruman look far more in cahoots with Sauron than he originally was. In both the film and the novel, Saruman is indeed subservient to Sauron but with the intention of usurping the latter by finding the Ring first. It's just that in the book, specifically in the chapter "The Council of Elrond", we don't know that yet, because the whole deal with the palantir isn't revealed until later.

One of the key lines in the film in terms of understanding this is when Saruman asks his Uruk-hai chieftain, "Whom do you serve?" and he replies, "Saruman!"

However, all that aside, I still hope that the infighting between the bands of orcs is shown. Perhaps in the first film, Saruman's intentions were not made clear enough to the audience. And visually speaking, I think the look of this orc in the publicity still is different enough from what we saw in FOTR that people will be able to identify and understand the conflict readily.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Good points, and agreed.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:24 PM   #7
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

No, I don't think that's him. It looks far from what I pictured him as.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 08:48 PM   #8
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

what do you mean that he dosen't look like how you pictured him, alot of stuff in the movie don't look like how we pictured them...
Old 09-29-2002, 09:18 PM   #9
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

i think it might be him. he looks sort of how i pictured him, only without the big red scar i imagined him with
Old 09-30-2002, 11:41 AM   #10
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

have to dissagree im afraid - thats not grishnak, i dont know for sure who he is, probably a similar character to lurtz ie sarumans general. im sure ive seen a picture of grishnak and hes a really sly ,stooped creature who has slightly bald eagle type features -
but you dont have to beleive me if you dont want to !
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:29 PM   #11
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I guess if it ain't Grishnakh, but you've seen a pic of him, viggosbeard, at least we know he is still in the film. The part we don't know (and probably won't until the film is released) is how far from the original story, once again, Peter Jackson will stray.

Farewell to Kings is a really great album...
Old 09-30-2002, 01:59 PM   #12
Blackheart
Elf Lord

The uruk pictured appeares aged somehow. An odd concept for Jackson to use for the "newly-created" Uruk-hai.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:22 PM   #13
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

yeah, he looks kinda old. and really hairy. maybe he's been in the su too long. maybe pj made him 1000000 years old. i dunno. it just looks like that orc dude. kinda
Old 09-30-2002, 09:37 PM   #14
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Grishnakh

Viggosbeard (and others): are these the pictures of Grishnakh that you've seen? I found these on the "Quintessential LOTR Website" which has tons of images and the complete script.
http://www.quintessentialwebsites.co...extrapics2.htm (You have to scroll down a bit)

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 05:26 AM   #15
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

shadowfax - hard to tell as its not the same photo, the one i saw was straight after you see merry and pippin crouching on the ground looking up in terror, then the pic of this very scraggly orc
( no way was it anything like an uruk ) walking towards them with a raised scimitar. Is that the mark of the eye on his forehead by the way ?
just a thought on the big nasty uruk ( that may be Grishnak ), could this be Mauhaur ( think thats how you spell it ) leader of the Isenguard orcs ?
Bropous - you are a man of taste indded.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 03:23 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

I don't know if that's Grishnakh, but I DO know that I for one will be very disappointed if they leave this episode out, as it is my favorite from book three.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:45 PM   #17
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

i just read that part in the two towers last night, and it said that girishnak looked like a "crooked legged creature with long arms" so obviously grishnak is an orc from morodr or something, not an uruk hai
Old 10-02-2002, 09:38 AM   #18
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think very few of us, durin's bane, were laboring under the misapprehension that Grishnakh was an Uruk-Hai.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:45 PM   #19
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I pictured Grishnakh as sorta green-skinned, crooked and bowled legged with long arms. That first one looks like an Uruk-hai.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote