Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2002, 02:30 PM   #1
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Entering The Real World

I have to get a job... And so far the only place that I could get an application was McDonald's Ick....Any suggestions for a sixteen year old with no car that lives in a small town?
Old 07-10-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
anduin
Entwife

Babysit.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 05:44 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Try your library for summer work. Won't your parents help you out with rides? My first job was at a German Bakery that was close enough that I could walk to. It took a half hour but soon enough my parents helped out. I learned how to "cut the cake" and cook bratwurst. Sold lots of Gummi bears too! Cashiering at a local store wouldn't be quite as hard as food service. Food work is hard! My daughter works at Walmart a couple nights and weekends, it's good.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 07:11 PM   #4
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

If you are 16, whats wrong with Mcdonalds????????? Im 14 and fast food places are the only places that I could have worked at this summer. I was playing around with the idea of getting a job so I applied at Burger King. They didn't call me back, and I was too lazy to apply anywhere else. Oh well

But at 16, you can work many places. Like you can apply at suncoast, which you have to be 16 (that would be a cool store to work in). You could work at target, or practically every store in the mall (ive checked, you have to be atleast 16 to work at these places). That is many different options from many restaurants to shoe stores, toy stores, movie stores, technology stores, movie theatre. I'm sure somebody would hire you I don't think you can work at as a cashier yet at 16 though.

But seriously why the "ick" at mcdonalds being the only place you applied to? They have good food most of the time. I can understand being an adult and not wanting to spend your life working at mcdonalds, but at 16 working a summer job, whats the problem??

And remember, the store doesn't have to have a "help wanted" sign up. You can go up and ask them for an application - and be persistant. What do you mean by Mcdonalds being the only place you could get an application? Do you mean the only place that would hire you??? You can submit an application everywhere.

edit: just read that you live in a small town, but surely your town must have a mall or a movie theatre, or something that interests you. go apply there.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:00 PM   #5
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I need to get a job that has an hourly wage that's minimum wage or above, and it needs to be an 'actual' job, so babysitting's out.

I DID try the library, but she won't take anymore teenagers. I would love to work at the library. I practically live there anyway

edit: My town is just large enough to have a McDonald's, but not large enough for a mall or movie theater. We're more of a suburb. I have NO car, so the mall and Target are out. I just applied at a local grocery store, so I can avoid McDonald's. I've been told repeatedly by my friends who work at McDonald's to only work there if I'm absolutely desperate (as in, I have to work because my mom lost her job and no one else will take me)

Last edited by Starr Polish : 07-10-2002 at 11:02 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:02 PM   #6
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Say, what is minimum wage these days? Does anyone know? I know it used to be $5, but I bet its gone up.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:05 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I think it's 5.35...
Old 07-10-2002, 11:22 PM   #8
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Is there any reason it has to be an hourly wage? You need references...or are you getting "work" credits for school or something? And some people do "babysit" for a living, so don't knock it.
I was going to suggest tutoring, because it pays quite well. I just don't know how studious your town is. I get alot of students here who want to use summer to get ahead with school work, so summer isn't as bad a time for it as you would think. It depends on the place though. You have to be good at manipulating word of mouth to your advantage though, to get students.
The best jobs are the ones that they don't advertise widely, I find. Make sure your relatives/family friends know you are looking for a job. Ask them if they know anyone who is looking for help. Bug them!
How do you feel about manual labour? My province is a big on forestry, traditionally, so tree-planting is often people's "first" summer job. I don't know that there might be fruit-picking or tree-planting or something where you live. You emphasize your age, so I'm guessing you think you don't have alot of work experience. Jobs like that don't typically ask for big long resumes, but I would think of it as a last resort.
Personally, I don't like manual labour. And you don't learn much. The library was a good suggestion. I would go on that thread and brainstorm all the community service type jobs: food bank, community centre (kid's summer programs!), your local pool, park board. It sometimes works to volunteer at a place first and see if that doesn't turn into a paid position. But I don't know how much you need the money.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:44 PM   #9
anduin
Entwife

Wow, those are some great suggestions....listen to mirrille.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:03 PM   #10
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I didn't mean to knock babysitting, in fact, I am looking into the day care, but they don't really need anyone.

I basically need a job that isn't just babysitting for the neighbors to please my mom, and to get her off my back. I live in Iowa, so detassling (pulling the tassles off of corn) was an option, but both of my parents discourage it.

Things we have in my town: Two small grocery stores, a McDonald's, a motel, a library, a day care, one sit down restaurant, two convenience stores, and a pizza place/ice cream store.

We don't have a pool or a community center.

My town isn't too studious, and kids that do want to keep up with school work during the summer don't need tutors usually, they just do it on there own. I may look into that, I could tutor kids in basically everything but math.

I can't work at the library, the motel or the pizza place. The library isn't hiring (I checked, I really wanted to work there), I think you have to be eighteen to work at the hotel, and the owner of the pizza place is infamous for mild sexual harassment.

Thanks mirrile, I think I'll look into the tutoring thing. I applied at the larger of the two grocery stores, but I can't be interviewed for about another two weeks.
The reason I emphasized my age is because I don't have much work experience and you need to be 18 to work in a lot of places.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:46 PM   #11
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I live in Iowa, so detassling (pulling the tassles off of corn) was an option, but both of my parents discourage it.
I say go for it!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 04:49 PM   #12
anduin
Entwife

I wouldn't consider the convience store. They aren't always the safest places to work. Grocery stores are a pretty good place to work though.
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

Old 07-11-2002, 05:30 PM   #13
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I think detassling may be over, anyway. It's long, hot work...ick I actually do'nt mind getting sweaty, but when my DAD says no, you know you aren't getting a different answer.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:54 PM   #14
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Ok. If you are just trying to get your mom off your back then I HIGHLY recommend looking into volunteering. It's more fun and you learn alot, depending on where you go. Hospitals are always looking for volunteers. Parks, seniors homes... I really can't suggest any more because I don't know your area. There should be some kind of directory of social service organizations in your area, so you can do some research. I'd ask for one at a government office or possibly the library. Ask around to see if people you know have suggestions for where to volunteer. My favourite volunteer job in the summer was for kid's summer camps or daycamps. I think volunteer places are not as picky about your age and routinely take high school students, with obvious exceptions being rape relief centres and the like. They don't have to worry as much about child labour laws since it's not really a paid job.
If you're not desperate for the money, then I argue that it's much more rewarding than detassling corn or serving at McDonalds. It looks just as good if not better on a resume. And it'll keep you out of trouble and your mom can brag about what a responsible citizen you are instead of nagging you about sitting around all day doing nothing.
But tutoring is really good money. (I charge about 3X the minimum wage and the most education I have is a little college. And like babysitting, it's not taxed. ) and I get the impression that you are a pretty good, responsible student, so you can probably justify a good fee. You can even get the student to come to YOUR house, so the lack of a car is not a problem.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:52 PM   #15
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i volunteer at animal aid and work at a pet supply store, my twon can be considered small, and i don't have a car yet.
don't give up.. keep on trying, and,... umm.. yea, what everyone else said!
Old 07-12-2002, 12:03 AM   #16
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Give the day care a try, it's a good reference.

When I was 17 I went to live on an Indian Reservation in S. Dakota and worked as a summer school teacher and painter, for the local church whose pastor was also a cattle rancher. It was a really good experience. I got to see cattle branding and teach the kids and it was interesting.

Volunteering first is a good idea.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 06:33 PM   #17
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I don't ever plan to enter the real word. I like the matrix too much.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:42 PM   #18
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I have a job! And it's at a law firm! For awhile anyway...I'm filing bills (they're six months behind...well, five now, I worked today). Eeh, my legs are sore, and then I had to go to band camp! Stoopid file cabinets, don't open when I want them too, and I had to bend over, stand back up, all in shoes with a heel because my mom wanted me to look nice. Bah. It's the place my sister works at, and she told me to just wear jeans and tennis shoes tomorrow...
Old 08-15-2002, 05:47 AM   #19
Sween
im quite stupid

Ive got a job working in a bar (im 19) most of the time i just play pool and my mates come in and they get drunk and i get paid.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:58 AM   #20
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the update Starr!
Filing (ewwww!) . But a law firm should be a really good reference. Make sure you suck up to the important people so you can use those connections later.