Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
An organic pesticide

Hearing about the troubles Africa has from crickets I thought perhaps honey sprayed on them would disable these flying pests and at the same time give starving Africans a handy meal already marinaded (if they want to fry them).

What say ye - most esteemed mooters.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Wouldn't honey just attract more insects? And even if honey proved to be an effective way to cope with pests, I doubt it would be cost effective - and cost effectiveness would be important if the pesticide is to be used in Africa.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Honey may prove effective against this one winged plague but undoubtedly be the breedingground for another. Besides the costs of making large honey deposits to use in Africa will be quite huge. Although I suppose it's a lot healthier than all the DDT and other poison bombs we from the west shipped off to Africa...
Old 08-11-2004, 02:29 AM   #4
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Well, I guess that the smell of honey would attract other insects making the problem worse. Perhaps some none-smelling essance made out of honey and some other organic substance such as eucalyptus would perhaps do.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
Earniel

But you need much research for it, either to isolate the necesary essance from honey or to make a synthetic form of it. And that takes money. I don't see African countries having the money for it, that's exactly why they still use dangerous pesticides that are banned in Europe, because they don't have the money to buy or make something else.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:04 AM   #6
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
But you need much research for it, either to isolate the necesary essance from honey or to make a synthetic form of it. And that takes money. I don't see African countries having the money for it, that's exactly why they still use dangerous pesticides that are banned in Europe, because they don't have the money to buy or make something else.
We could use the money we pour into those countries to fund the research and get the project going.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:57 AM   #7
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Most of that money is and should be used for humanitarian rather than environmental projects. I'm afraid the development countries will have to do with their poisonous pesticides until they are in a position to afford with better solutions to their insect problems. Right now maybe there are more urgent conerns than insects. Like clean water.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:43 AM   #8
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Most of that money is and should be used for humanitarian rather than environmental projects. I'm afraid the development countries will have to do with their poisonous pesticides until they are in a position to afford with better solutions to their insect problems. Right now maybe there are more urgent conerns than insects. Like clean water.
Yeah, but unfortunately most if not all of that money is funnelled into coffers of the governments and military of each and one these countries.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #9
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
We could use the money we pour into those countries to fund the research and get the project going.
We don't even pour enough money in them to buy food for the millions who are starving or to get medical help for the millions who have AIDS.

Research for a new pesticide that may or may not even work is just too expensive and very far on the to-do-list of those countries.

The better way would be to have western researchers look for new, less dangerous and less persistant pesticides since that's were all the expertise and money is. The downside of it is that those new pesticides become so bloody expensive that the poor countries can't buy them. It's an endless circle.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:03 AM   #10
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Perhaps the future will give the honey-pesticide it's due.