Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-05-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Creating Web-sites

I don't know if there is a thread already about this topic, but I was just wondering how you would go about making a web-site. I know several mooters have them, and I was thinking of creating one (not just to host pictures).

A few of my friends and I do this Masquerade, and I came up with the idea of putting it up on the net. I'm starting to create the pages and I'm alright with all the graphics and that, it's just where to go after that.

Any help would be much apriciated.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
Ithilgalad
Elven Warrior

I guess what´s most important (aside from WHAT you put on your site) is a good navigation... when I started my site, I had a rather easy navi because the whole site consisted of no more than two or three pages...

But with time... it grew... and I discovered very quickly that my first navi was horrible ... so I made another one... and another one... and I think the one I have now is OK... not GOOD but OK .

A sitemap might be a good idea if you´re planning a lot of pages...

And of course... think of some kind of 'order' naming your pages... create a special folder for images (if you want to include some... even if they are only buttons...)...

Perhaps try to think of something unique (I haven´t done that part yet )... so that visitors won´t get bored after a few seconds and leave...

If you plan to update the site every now and then (most probably)... have a NEWS page... it´s rather annoying to search a site for what´s new ...

That´s all I can think of at the moment (that sprang to my mind )... hope, it´s of any help...
www.ithilgalad.info
-----
The Queendom of The Roaming Galadhrim
Ithilgalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

It is help. And anymore would be brilliant.

The main pages will probably be one describing what exactly the site is and what happens there. Then there will be a character page - saying who we are in real life and a bit more about our characters. And then there will be a series of pages - each in a chronological order, telling the tale. It's a mixture between a rp and a story, so it will be updated with new stories, so hopefully people won't get bored. Also there should be a picture page, with a mixture of pictures of the masquerade and maybe some of us in RL. After these I have a few ideas for some other pages, and I'm working on something that will let whoever visits to site participate somehow.

Those are just my main ideas. Of cousre, the planning is still incomplete and I haven't got very far in designing the thing, but I'm hoping that it will all go well.

And like I said before, I really do need help when it comes to how I'll get it on the net!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

There is already similar threads. There is the latest where I was helping GreyWolf. You can check out the "My third attempt at a homepage thread.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-05-2004 at 04:11 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:14 PM   #5
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Oh okay. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #6
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
It is help. And anymore would be brilliant.

The main pages will probably be one describing what exactly the site is and what happens there. Then there will be a character page - saying who we are in real life and a bit more about our characters. And then there will be a series of pages - each in a chronological order, telling the tale. It's a mixture between a rp and a story, so it will be updated with new stories, so hopefully people won't get bored. Also there should be a picture page, with a mixture of pictures of the masquerade and maybe some of us in RL. After these I have a few ideas for some other pages, and I'm working on something that will let whoever visits to site participate somehow.

Those are just my main ideas. Of cousre, the planning is still incomplete and I haven't got very far in designing the thing, but I'm hoping that it will all go well.

And like I said before, I really do need help when it comes to how I'll get it on the net!

Hi L_E!

You can also check "View/Source" on my web page and get some idea about how to make your page. And if you want more help I've been going thru a veritable bible of HTML and done some sample webpages. If you want me to pm you them just ask.

Regards,

G_W

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 04-05-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:18 PM   #7
Ithilgalad
Elven Warrior

There are some companies that offer free webspace (like FreeWebs for example, but there are many more out there )... or you get yourself some webspace and pay for it... but if you prefer that way... search thoroughly... a lot of many doesn´t mean a lot of features ...

To upload the site when you´ve finished it... there are several ways... I do it with FTP (File Transfer Protocol *orsimilar*) using the program I create my pages with... but there are also very nice little proggis for uploading with FTP (I only got a link to a german one)... some providers of webspace also allow upload via browser... never tried that one myself but it should work just as good I guess...
www.ithilgalad.info
-----
The Queendom of The Roaming Galadhrim
Ithilgalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #8
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Thanks guys. I really do appriciate it! If you don't mind, I'll pm you, when I'm a bit furthur on. I can tell I'll need alot of help with this!
Old 04-05-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i also have problems with websites

i have prepared a site, not for me, but for my
dog club.
how much would a site cost?
we are a non-profit society, would that affect costs?
how do i go about any of this?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #10
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
i also have problems with websites

i have prepared a site, not for me, but for my
dog club.
how much would a site cost?
we are a non-profit society, would that affect costs?
how do i go about any of this?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Well it actually all depends. I have my website now hosted with DreamHost It's only $9.95 a month and gives a lot of benefits. It's a no frills one - for instance - they have no telephone support and you basically have to manage a lot of things yourself, but there is a lot on information on their forums and people will help you. They do have 24/7 e-mail support and I have never had any problems. I'm actually surprised. Hey - if anyone goes to them make sure you let them know - I think referrals get discounts.

But really - I am extremely happy with them and I was really concerned - because of the cheap price.

One thin you will want to do if you have an organization is to get a domain name - like mine iis AboutNewJersey.com. You would want something that is easy to remember. I think it costs roughly $30 for 2 years. It's not expensive for the domain name.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote