Old 05-22-2002, 09:11 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

the most tragic heroes

the most tragic heroes

1st age Turin

2nd age ? i need more thought

3rd age denethor

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:43 AM   #2
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Turin also gets my vote for most tragic hero in the first age.
Second age - Amandil (Elendil's father) for keeping the true faith alive in Numenor when most of the population was under the influence of Sauron. And for bravely sailing to the west to try and get help.
Third age - Boromir , because ultimately he was valiant and heroic in his last fight to try to save Merry and Pippin.
I can't think of Denenthor as a hero, especially in light of Theoden and Boromir who both rose above their previous corruption.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:53 PM   #3
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

1st age turin
2nd age elendil the tall.
3rd..i havent a clue..i guess in a sense gandalf..just think that he didnt come back from dyin in moria
Old 05-22-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
Eäráng
Elven Warrior

1st age: I have to go with Turin, too

2nd age: That would have to be Elendil

3rd age: That's Theoden, to be sure
Eäráng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:26 PM   #5
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

1st age- Turin. Definitely Turin.

2nd age- Erendis (Aldarion's wife who turned bitter against all men once her husband kept going away...she's not exactly a hero, but she's a tragic figure.)

3rd age- Gollum
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:39 PM   #6
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Isildur has got to be on the list. A hero who's tragic fall after the greatest victory over Sauron in battle is most cruel.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:45 PM   #7
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

"Tragic Fall?"

He got shot by orcs when he was betrayed by an evil ring that he should've destroyed.. Basically, he brought it upon himself.. And it wasn't really the "greatest victory over Sauron" considering he came back..
Old 05-22-2002, 08:46 PM   #8
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

1st age - Turin

2nd age - Elendil

3rd age - Boromir
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:57 PM   #9
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

and neways..he would have to be a hero of the 2nd age rather than the 3rd. what did he do in the 3rd other than plant the white tree and delivering the south kingdom to meneldil? NOTHING. and he couldnt be a more tragic hero than his father by any means.
and nice pic Rána Eressëa
Old 05-22-2002, 09:21 PM   #10
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirahzi
"Tragic Fall?"

He got shot by orcs when he was betrayed by an evil ring that he should've destroyed.. Basically, he brought it upon himself.. And it wasn't really the "greatest victory over Sauron" considering he came back..
Did he understand the rings true nature? Sure, Elrond and I tried to get him to destroy it, but he wanted to use it to fight the evil. And who else defeated Sauron in direct combat? Sure, Gil-Galad struck some serious blows before he died, but ti was Isildur who had the wits to go for the ring. If he had not hte battle surely would have been lost. Is Sauron dead or is has he fallen from power? (I haven't read HoME on the fourth age yet, so don't tell me). It was a tragic fall in the Greek tradition - by hubris.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-22-2002, 09:27 PM   #11
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

isildur cant be ont he list..he cant top some of the people in the 2nd age..and he did almost nothing in the 3rd age cept lose the ring and die
Old 05-22-2002, 09:28 PM   #12
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan

Did he understand the rings true nature? Sure, Elrond and I tried to get him to destroy it, but he wanted to use it to fight the evil. And who else defeated Sauron in direct combat? Sure, Gil-Galad struck some serious blows before he died, but ti was Isildur who had the wits to go for the ring. If he had not hte battle surely would have been lost. Is Sauron dead or is has he fallen from power? (I haven't read HoME on the fourth age yet, so don't tell me). It was a tragic fall in the Greek tradition - by hubris.
I don't think he wanted to use it to fight evil, since he thought he had already destroyed evil..
I hardly call that direct combat, considering Sauron had him pinned.. He only managed to cut off his finger, because Sauron got a bit overconfident.. After the Last Alliance, Sauron only fell from power.. he never died.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:53 PM   #13
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirahzi

I don't think he wanted to use it to fight evil, since he thought he had already destroyed evil..
I hardly call that direct combat, considering Sauron had him pinned.. He only managed to cut off his finger, because Sauron got a bit overconfident.. After the Last Alliance, Sauron only fell from power.. he never died.
Doesn't Sauron always fall due to overconfidence? What is with that guy? Why do they keep him broken sword at Rivendell if he is such a minor figure? They seemed to respect his deed. The best fighters come back when they are down.

It tough, Fingolfin is up there on my list. All the heros of the Silmarillion seem to be tragic figures. Are we looking for the most heroic with a tragic end or the hero with the most tragic end?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-22-2002, 10:05 PM   #14
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Isildur is often taken as more purposely evil than accidently (especially in the movie). Isildur, like many, was mislead/deceived and drawn by the power of the ring. Very much like Boromir. So, how I see it, he pretty much has right to have a "Tragic Fall".
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:13 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

First Age- Turin
Second Age- Gil-galad
Third Age- Boromir
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 04:42 AM   #16
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
I can't think of Denenthor as a hero, especially in light of Theoden and Boromir who both rose above their previous corruption.
i used to dislike denethor but after i read more about his background i had more respect for him

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 09:45 AM   #17
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Quote:
Why do they keep him broken sword at Rivendell if he is such a minor figure?
because it was a precious heirloom to the line of Isildur. elrond took the shards of the sword at the wishes of the dúnedain. It meant something to the dunedain. probably showed the power they use to hold and their stand against sauron. i doubt to honor isildur, more elendil and westernesse.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:59 AM   #18
Garina
Elf Lord

Turin is definitely the tragic hero for the First Age. Funny how no one disputes that!

Gollum isn't a tragic hero, his heroism is more ironic. He saved Middle Earth because he lost his balance!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 04:10 PM   #19
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I'll do some new "tragic falls"

1 age - Thingol
2 age - Isildor
3 age - Saruman
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 04:46 PM   #20
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean