Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-10-2002, 11:31 PM   #1
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

What makes a book?

What is it about the great books that makes them so... well... great? What do you folks think?

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:43 AM   #2
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I don't think there are any guidelines for what makes a great book (everyone differs in opinion over what is great so there's no pattern) but for me a great book is something you're drawn into (fiction or non fiction) and that you loath to put down, even right at the end. Mx
Old 12-11-2002, 08:24 PM   #3
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I think it differs for each person what they think is a great book. For example, we had to read1984 last year and I hated it but there were many who loved it; they have different tastes than I do. For me a great book has 1) an excellent storyline with deeper meanings, lots of symbols, metaphors, etc. 2) interesting and diverse characters, some with a lot of depth to them, and some who don't. 3) and it MUST be written well. Actually, it would be kind of difficult for a story to possess 1 & 2 without being written well. Anyway, it must be full of literary devices, enriched vocabualry, and interesting plot twists.
I love good books, and let me say that JRR Tolkien's are amazing and they definitely measure up to my aforementioned standards.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:52 PM   #4
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

It depends on what type of book you read!
For some you need a good imagination!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:44 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

To me, a good book is interestingly written, has good characterization, and has a plot that interests me.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:00 PM   #6
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

i like books that 'transport' you into another world (I've done that tons of times with LOTR, Mortal Engines and THe Edge Cronicles), books that are well written and books that aren't romance! (i hate romance, regardless of what other people say).
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:37 PM   #7
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

Good writing goes a long way, but a strong plot is the most important to me, with believable characters. Too many books (and fantasy/SF are the worst offenders) rely on their setting to carry something. A thriller, say, is all well and good but you've got to be able to believe that the people in it are genuinely bemused, scared, whatever.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:41 AM   #8
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
I like books that are completely different. And original. Ones that dont remind me of other books. That have characters with great personalities. I also like lots of description, so i can put myself there.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

Time for my opinion. I think that a book is good when you loathe having to put it down. It can have shallow characters, loosy plot, or even poor grammer, but if it can captivate my interest, its good reading.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 08:11 PM   #10
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Greatness is an attribute ascribed by other people, not imbued by the artist. So a book is great when enough people say it is great. A book that may have been called great a hundred years ago might now be forgotten. Nobody much cares about The Lady of the Camillias, except that it was the first version of what is now Moulin Rouge. And a book may have flopped during an author's lifetiime but be called great by academics a hundred years later, like Moby Dick. That's my philological answer.

But what makes me call a book great? Isn't that what you're asking?

I call something great if it goes beyond itself. For instance, Moby Dick (again) is more than a sea story. And Stranger in a Strange Land trancends the limits of the science fiction genre, too. Camus' Stranger strikes a chord in most people, too. Other times I call something great when it seems to embody a lost time or past culture that I got to experience secondhand. And other times I respond that way when it passes on what I call "wisdom".

My wife says she responds to "general particulars". (Every time I ask if she means "general specifics" she explains her word choice again and since I can't reproduce that, I am destined to repeat the question.) But by that she seems to mean that the specific things in the life of the character touch us, not by what they are, but by some general sympathy we have. Maybe someday she will join the moot and post a better answer.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:24 PM   #11
Duddun
I Antha

I like having charactors that are mysterious. I've been reading a lot of books that I have heard were great and I didn't like because I am trying to write a book that people like. Now I know that I just need to use my own style and people will like it.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:32 AM   #12
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I consider a book great when it has characters that I care about and a plot that keeps me reading long past my bedtime. And when the book is done I wish there was more of it to read. So it also has to be a book I enjoy rereading more than once. And like Elf.Freak, the book has to "transport" me to its world.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:15 AM   #13
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
What makes a book? Paper and words.

What makes a great book? Words that swirl off of the page and into the terrifyng depths of my mind, crowding out the brightly colored swirls that are the stresses of the day. It takes me from my state of mind and puts me in a state of BEING. I have to live the story while I'm reading it to really love the book.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:30 AM   #14
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

What makes a book?

Escapism, empathy and a little curiousity

What makes a great book?

All of the above mixed with emotion

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:06 PM   #15
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
A great book in my opinion is a book you want to read and re-read over and over again like, for example,The Lord of the Rings which I've read 20 times (Once every year since the first time, when I was 13 years old).
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:19 PM   #16
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

to me a good book has good characters, plenty of adventure, and something that relates to my life
Old 02-18-2003, 08:12 AM   #17
Millane
The Dude

i learnt in lit that the main things in books were Sex and Death...
what i preferably like is a drunk irish/scotsman and plenty of violence
Old 02-26-2003, 01:48 AM   #18
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I think regardless of the intent of the author, the stature of a literary work is determined by how deeply the reader can read into it. I'm sure Shakespeare didn't intentionally weave every single little clever thing we accuse him of having done. In fact, Tolkien's an even better example - he didn't intend an allegorical tale, yet his thematic bases were so universal that we can apply The Lord of the Rings to almost anything.

I do maintain, however, there is a certain line to be drawn where you stop and say, "this is trash." It's not that I'm a highbrow elitist card-carrying literati, but at some point you do have to admit that there's a lot of bad writing out there as well.

Still, individual components don't necessarily make a book a masterpiece. You can't judge literature by criteria. It has to be a holistic appraisal of overall quality and appeal.

Some key questions:

- Can I put it down?
- Does it make me think?
- Did it expose me to new ideas?
- Overall, am I glad my lifespan encompassed the hours it took me to get through the thing?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:22 AM   #19
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
Paper. Paper makes a book.

Oh, you mean what makes a book great? Gee, I dunno...

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 08:36 AM   #20
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
i learnt in lit that the main things in books were Sex and Death...
what i preferably like is a drunk irish/scotsman and plenty of violence
Patience Millane. I'm writing out my memoirs even as we speak!

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote