Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

the **** word usage.

I was writing a chapter on how God is ****ing humanity. I mean He is literally ****in us.

To bring out the seriousness and to create the right effect in the reader's mind I just can't do without the word "*****.

any advise here on how to avoid the word, and to open up a space for euphemisms?
Old 04-21-2003, 01:08 PM   #2
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

It usually is possible to avoid using swear words, but you should rate your story if you see a need for one and have it in there. Like Starr Polish did, saying there's slightly dark content and mild swearing. It's true that putting "*" through the swear words does rather mess them up in a story. To avoid that problem, it's good to have notices in the beginning of your story to warn your readers of possibly less acceptible content. I'd probably say the same rule should apply to things that are not swearing, but are still nasty. Like intense violence, dark content, or sex.

However, I'd prefer it if you didn't post any stories that had any of those problems in more than a mild dosage. It really would just be polite for you not to. Also please don't post anything that others would find offensive to their religious beliefs or anything like that.

So just try to be as broadly acceptible and enjoyable as possible in the story, and if you have things that are necessary but go against those rules, please make a notice in the beginning of your story.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
congressmn

O thank you much.

but the other reason I use the word, is because in the story i tackle with all the contexts in which THE WORD may find an appropriate place or meaning.

The WOrd is just too versatile, can be used in thousands of situations.

One more question:\

Wouldn't it be different to have so much swearing? would it not be something unique?

The sheer amount, and the many facets in which the word maybe handled in this chapter of the story should really shock the reader a little bit, dont u think?
Old 04-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'd imagine it probably would shock some readers. If your story has no option but to involve very large amounts of swearing, I'm afraid I'd have to advise you not to post that one here.

I really just don't like the idea of material beyond the PG-13 rating being posted here.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

My stance on this, from an administrative perspective, is that we should definitely be sticking to the PG-13-ishness of the board.

I realize that this restricts some stories going a bit beyond that, especially with the use of language, from being posted. However, that should not preclude you from sharing those excerpts privately or off-site, or discussing them otherwise in a way that does not involve posting offending segments.

The primary concern here is that a lot of kids do read this board, so Entmoot has to be kept fairly clean.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

The easiest way to get around the liberal use of the F-word is to copy what many comic books did in the 70's......Invent new swear words! ............ That way these new words, used in the correct context, still emphasise the meaning without causing any major faux pas.

(best example I can recall is the "swearing" done by Judge Dredd in the old 2000AD comics).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 03:27 PM   #7
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

If your really going for something to be serious and not just shock value, dont use the swears at all. You could draw much larger and varied readers with better words than slang swear words. Unless it totally fits, like a character talking or something.
I swear alot though so...*shrugs*
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 03:29 PM   #8
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
The easiest way to get around the liberal use of the F-word is to copy what many comic books did in the 70's......Invent new swear words! ............ That way these new words, used in the correct context, still emphasise the meaning without causing any major faux pas.

(best example I can recall is the "swearing" done by Judge Dredd in the old 2000AD comics).
Like in The Wheel of Time . I know that some of the swear words used there were real swear words, but definitely not all of them. But those swear words don't really sound that great or fluid in a story. That's actually nearly the same as astrics.

However, unreal swear words will definitely be acceptable in this forum . They're definitely not over PG-13 .

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-21-2003 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:33 PM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebréiel
If your really going for something to be serious and not just shock value, dont use the swears at all. You could draw much larger and varied readers with better words than slang swear words. Unless it totally fits, like a character talking or something.
I definitely agree with that. It generally is possible to avoid swear words, unless your character is in a real fit of passion or it is in character and is just the way they speak. Even in those cases, it is possible to get rid of them. It's simply inconvenient to, and in some of those cases I'd think it's better to leave them and put a warning on the story.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:02 PM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I have very, very, VERY rarely seen swear words used effectively in a way that enhances the writing.

The major exception I can think of was a short story that won my campus newspaper's literary contest this year, and its contents are inappropriate for this board anyway.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 04-21-2003, 07:17 PM   #11
elvendrummer87
Enting

i think swearing takes away from the creativity of the story. it's one thing if your character is swearing in a different language (like in the Rhapsody trilogy or the Tiger and Del books) because it's expanding upon the culture of that world. if it's not a fantasy story, i'd say leave it out. your smart enough to think of better words than those.
elvendrummer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:48 PM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

But if you're doing a fantasy story in a "medieval" setting, as many fantasy stories tend to be, you have to remember that the characters are naturally in a conservative cultural environment, so they wouldn't really be talking dirty anyway, especially if they are members of high society or royalty. If you have peasantry or low-class characters like Tolkien's portrayal of Orcs, go ahead and make the language harsh: but otherwise, definitely avoid it. The "swearing in a different language" thing should not be used recklessly.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:37 PM   #13
congressmn

o thank you , u guys. but Ip it aint in a medievel setting at all.
it's in a setting where the likes of Baby-K thrive...
Old 04-23-2003, 12:57 PM   #14
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by congressmn
it's in a setting where the likes of Baby-K thrive...
o_O ......... I take it you mean South Africa?

Beatallica
Old 04-23-2003, 08:58 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Er.. winged be-thonged hussies?
Old 04-23-2003, 09:02 PM   #16
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Er.. winged be-thonged hussies?
I'll have you know the wings are purely onamental

(as for your other two points.............well, we live in hope )

Ok, K.....yer can stop scowling at me now

Beatallica
Old 04-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #17
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
I know, I was referring to the comments about how if it's in another world, you can make up your own swears...

Old 04-29-2003, 11:45 AM   #18
congressmn

o I have ****ed the idea about using swear words. I am ok with normal vocabulary which cleverly does the job in its place.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:08 PM   #19
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Ok, well, I actually agree with Coney on this one. For instance, in the books I'm reading right now, the most common swear is "vulk" or "vulking". Satisfying to say, but not above PG-13.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:44 PM   #20
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Never mind.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote