Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2002, 10:51 AM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Nazgul The growing mythology of LOTR

The first couple of times I watched the movie I couldn’t resist comparing everything Peter Jackson did to the books. But, like Orlindall, I quickly began to enjoy the movie on its own merit and have developed a rich appreciation for how wonderful the movie was made.

I think if Tolkien were still alive, he would be the first to congratulate Jackson for capturing the essence of his story (which, by the way, is no small accomplishment.) Tolkien wasn’t writing a fantasy story, he was writing MYTH and following in the ancient footsteps of the Nordic, Greek, and Roman mythmakers he studied all his life. People who study ancient mythology know there are variations on many of the stories. So he would be the first to say that Jackson’s retelling of his LOTR tale doesn’t detract from his story but instead – as with the mythmakers of old – only builds a new layer on the wonderful “mythology” that he created.

So there’s no need to argue which is better – they are woven from the same mythical cloth and enhances our appreciation of both. Regarding the movie, I particularly love:

Jackson’s version of the Breaking of the Fellowship. After my initial “omigod, this is SO DIFFERENT from Tolkien” reaction, I’ve grown to admire how Jackson’s version tied everything together to create an exciting and very dramatic ending to the first chapter of the movie trilogy. Wasn’t it great to have every member of the Fellowship play a role in helping Frodo continue on his quest? I thought it really enhanced the LOTR mythology to have Pippin and Merry sacrificed themselves in order to lead the orcs away from where Frodo was hiding. As a result, their capture by the orcs became yet another shining example of the selflessness of true friendship.

Jackson’s portrayal of Frodo. The only real criticism I heard about FOTR was that Frodo was portrayed as being ‘weak.’ Jackson has acknowledged in interviews that he added a few things with Frodo in order to create an emotional climax for the movie which was important because the full story plays out over three movies instead of one. Personally, my understanding of, and empathy with, Frodo was enhanced by the movie. We all can relate to Frodo’s reluctance to carry on and fear of going on alone. As a result, the audience appreciated the courage and determination Frodo showed by jumping into the river boat alone much more than the usual bravado shown by the usual assortment of summer movie heros.

Jackson’s portrayal of Aragorn. Another stroke of genius was the way Jackson expanded on aspects of Aragorn’s personality that Tolkien only addressed indirectly. Having Frodo test Aragorn’s will at the end of the FOTR was a very dramatic and powerful way for Aragorn prove himself worthy of the throne by redeeming his himself and his forefathers for the fall of Isildur.

As we all know the Council of Elrond was very different from the book. I was one of those Tolkienites in the audience who thought “where’s Bilbo?” and “why the hell are they FIGHTING for crying out loud?” the first time I saw it. Now but I’ve grown to appreciate how well Jackson took a section of the book that was guaranteed to translate poorly to film and turned it into something very powerful and moving in its own unique way. I love rewatching the council scenes and while we lost Bilbo, we’ve gained the magical elf, FIGWIT! =)

I have developed a total trust in Jackson’s vision and can’t wait to see how he has decided to interpret Eowyn, Treebeard, Theoden and especially Gollum. It will be fun.
[B]
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 01:03 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well OK! Welcome
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 03:15 PM   #3
Urksnik the Sleek
Hobbit

Hooray for a voice of sanity where the film is concerned!
I agree completely with all you say, only I could never find the right words. I loved the film, despite the changes made, and feel that most of them make at least some sense, especially considering the huge amount of non Tolkien readers who will see the film, and wouldn't understand some of the finer nuances of the plot without huge amounts of explanation.
And Gondolin, who now beyond
The Western Seas have passed away
The world was fair in Durin's Day.
Urksnik the Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:18 PM   #4
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

You slick genius, you.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:00 PM   #5
galadriel
Elven Warrior

What an entrance!

To vaguely quote... somebody on the net... movies like Harry Potter might be visually perfect, but on their own, they're kind of pointless. Lord of the Rings had *soul*.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:05 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Methinks I'll refrain from commenting.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:42 AM   #7
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

hmmmm

thankyouthankyouthankyou

[Blackie acknowledges the applause from the peanut gallery.]
Old 09-04-2002, 02:28 PM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

The city of Troy was considered a myth, until it was found.
Hobbits, LOTR etc. are myths too. Think on it.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:27 PM   #9
entss89
lord of the ents

Treebeard ummmmmmmmmmmmm!

um very looooooooooooooooooong, but good for you!

(P.S.: i didnt have time to read it all!sorry.)
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 05:33 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Re: ummmmmmmmmmmmm!

Why did you bother posting then?
Old 09-04-2002, 07:42 PM   #11
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
The city of Troy was considered a myth, until it was found.
Hobbits, LOTR etc. are myths too. Think on it.

i believe.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:53 AM   #12
Vorernil
Hobbit

Black Breathalizer (did I spell that right???) - VERY well said!!! Good for u - I TOTALLY understand what U mean . . . & U are very right. Bravo!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 11:18 AM   #13
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

black breathalizer - wonderfully put, i totally agree.

( mind you , you do realise your life is now in danger from the ninja sheep ! good job you never mentioned how good the music was ! )
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 01:28 PM   #14
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

oh, by the way...

...did I mention how GREAT the music was???

Interestingly, when I first purchased the CD before the movie came out, I liked it but it didn't overwhelm me.

But it is one of those soundtracks that just keeps growing on me. One of the best things about the music is the way it captures the emotion of every scene. I can listen to the soundtrack in my car and watch the whole movie play out in my mind.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:51 PM   #15
Nibs
Head Hollara

Ah, hindsight. Nothing to do now but agree.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:04 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ninja sheep? Try a box full of them.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:08 PM   #17
entss89
lord of the ents

Treebeard HI

the reason i posted is because i never saw someone new post that long! sorry if i upset you!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 09:35 PM   #18
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Just like most ppl (other than sheep woman) I totally agree!!!! i've been trying to say this (but more incoherently than you) and I love the music. I have one question (and i hugely out of the loop) who is figwit?

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:38 PM   #19
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Figwit

Figwit is the "fan name" for the elf that many female FOTR fans have been swooning over. He is briefly seen in the left hand corner of the screen in the Council scene immediately after Frodo says he will take the ring to Mordor.

A woman from Canada who started the Figwit craze named him after the first words that she uttered as she was admiring Frodo's courage before spying this elf: "Frodo Is Grea...Who Is THAT?!?!?!?"

Do a name search on Figwit and you'll learn more.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:41 PM   #20
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Figwit

Oops...I meant Figwit is on the RIGHT hand side of the WIDESCREEN version (he's cut out of the other version entirely).