Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

Arwen Undomiel I heard this rumor:

Has anyone heard a rumor about the Two Towers coming out in theaters before december 2002? I heard this from a friend and I don't know where they got it from. Just wondering (and hoping) if it was true. Please let me know if it is.
Eowyn, The Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 09:08 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

You're friend doesn't know what he/she is talking about
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 09:33 PM   #3
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

ditto. rumors are rumors...

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 01:09 AM   #4
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

There's one about the DVD version having about 4.5 Hrs of footage in it and not just 30 to 40 mins and hopefully that it will be a director's cut and not simply separate outtakes.

There's even an online petition to the producers.

The articles/features are in http://www.theonering.net

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lĂșmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 10:11 AM   #5
Lightice
Elven Warrior

There are two time scales out, which the longer is propably the right one. First time scale published, had FotR at december 2001, TT at summer 2002 and RotK at december 2002, but then was published the longer, and propably the right time line, FotR at december 2001, TT at december 2002 and RotK at december 2003.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:43 PM   #6
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

From what I have heard, they will be released every Christmas, but that may change, according to a few resources.

Last edited by Liviaine : 01-15-2002 at 09:44 PM.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:29 AM   #7
HOBBIT

Well yeah.....athough about 50 other people have already said this.. TT Dec. 2002...RotK Dec 2003. right? looks right to me

Us Potter fans must wait to. They are either done or 90% done with the second harry potter film....and its the same sort of fixed dates for Potter: Nov. 2002, Nov 2003, Nov 2004, Nov 2005, Nov 2006, and Nov 2007.....right? I think thats right. Just wanted to make a comparison there

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 01-16-2002, 01:08 AM   #8
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

HOBBIT:

i completely agree with you that the films will be released annually, for LOTR and HP alike.

however (and don't let this distress you, my fellow HP fan), it has not been confirmed whether they will continue to make the HP movies. I'm certain they will complete the second movie (a lot has been invested in it already!), although the making of the further five seems somewhat dubious.

firstly, i think it will be difficult to do the third and esp. fourth books as films (especially if they choose to be as close to the book as the first movie).

secondly, each harry potter story is more or less an individual story with closure at the end (not so much in the fourth book i know *waiting with baited breath for fifth book*). not so with LOTR, hence PJ's commitment to make all three movies in one hit.

i still think they'll take the whole year before releasing TT for editing, market research, marketing, to market FOTR on VHS and DVD, and to bring hype back to it's peak. i think we'll all be a bit rabid by xmas this year
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:10 PM   #9
Nibs Cotton
Sapling

Since ticket sales did so well,I doubt he'd want to change the release date.and that was against,and on the heels,of some of the best movies of the year.
Nibs Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:14 PM   #10
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Agreed, and the same is true for the HP films. HP and the philanthropist's scone took far too much money for them not to plan the whole series.

My wish was that TTT and RotK were rescheduled slightly to come out earlier than the HP films. I reckon this would damage HP and help LotR MASSIVELY.

HP did so well partly due to the fact it was the first reasonable film of mass-market appeal to come out in about 5 months. But I've yet to find a single person who says that the tedious, long-winded, stereo-typical drudgery of Harry Potter was better than FotR.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:23 PM   #11
HOBBIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
Agreed, and the same is true for the HP films. HP and the philanthropist's scone took far too much money for them not to plan the whole series.
*cringes* dang did you mess up the title...sure you know what you are talking about? lol Is it tasty?

Quote:
My wish was that TTT and RotK were rescheduled slightly to come out earlier than the HP films. I reckon this would damage HP and help LotR MASSIVELY.
Thats your opinion.

Quote:
HP did so well partly due to the fact it was the first reasonable film of mass-market appeal to come out in about 5 months. But I've yet to find a single person who says that the tedious, long-winded, stereo-typical drudgery of Harry Potter was better than FotR.
Hmm you sure don't like Potter or seem to even know who or what he is do you? I'm sorry I even brought Harry Potter up, but the deed is done (I was just trying to make a comparison, you don't have to jump on Potter). Actually, many, many, many people (not saying me, I liked Lotr better, but Harry Potter was a pretty great film too) will say that they liked Harry Potter better.....that is a FACT, not opinion. hehe.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:28 PM   #12
Gerbil
Elf Lord

How did you guess I'm not a HP fan? *looks mystified*

I've actually got nothing against kids reading them, or even adults.
What has got me worked up about HP is the number of adults reading it and saying they are the best books they've ever read.
All that tells me is they need to read a lot more.

Personally I'm lucky enough not to be surrounded by people who like HP, which (if the film is anything to go by) is about as clicheed and stereotypical as it's possible to get. (although to the uneducated, LotR is a rip off of D&D , although a fair number of my friends have read them. But they also read a lot, which gives them a much better basis for comparison.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:22 AM   #13
orald
Enting

originally posted by Gerbil:

What has got me worked up about HP is the number of adults reading it and saying they are the best books they've ever read.

I agree,shows how many adults haven't read ,The Hobbit,and LOTR.
orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:21 AM   #14
HOBBIT

Wow, you guys have reached a new low. You are making fun of adults for (a)making their own decisions .....and (b) reading good literature ....(c) enjoying themselves, having a good time...maybe even making them better readers (like maybe they read Harry Potter so much that they read Lotr, if they already had not, and others....)...........

Belive it or not, but not everyone thinks that Lotr and the Hobbit are the best books ever written. Even to some who have read the books in their entirety do not belive that they are the best thing since sliced bread...to some - Lotr is just another great book that they have read. Yes, it is very unique and the reader enjoyed it, but its just one of dozens of that genre to them....

Are you also saying that any adult who has or has not read lotr that forms their own opinion on what their favorite book is are stupid? (i know, i messed that sentence up, but you get what i am saying)

Have you ever thought that if an adult read lotr (if he/she already hadn't) they may still have HP as a favorite..or some other book?

HP to you, maybe, is just another childrens fantasy book.....hmm just another book for 10 year olds...umm NOT! Harry Potter is a book (AND MOVIE) that can be enjoyed by all ages...all around the world. The books were NOT WRITTEN FOR KIDS - SIMPLY MARKETED FOR CHILDREN. They are GREAT books if you give them a chance, which you HP bashers obviously have not....Picking up book no. 1 and laughing at it does not count........I also don't get why as Lotr fans you must always be rivals with HP. They were both great books...

You can't really compare them........
I mean HP was written like 50 years later
by two different people
with two different styles
Lotr takes place in a sort of mythological world
HP takes place in the present day world.
They are about different things, people, different plots, different references....COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WORKS OF GREAT LITERATURE. Why compare them? Why say one is better than the other? They are both great and I enjoyed them both.
Almost only similarities: 'fantasy' genre, author has initials in front of title (J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling), they both 'deal with magic and magical things' - but both in very different ways.

Get mature people. I am the official Harry Potter defender. If you knock it down, I will put it up.

this is getting off topic though, way off topic.

lets get back on it shall we? or continue this thr

Old 01-17-2002, 07:50 AM   #15
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

i'm 17 and have lot's of friends (and i mean the vast majority *sniff*) who simply don't read. who cares if HP is garbage or too commercial? i'm seeing a lot of kiddy winks forsaking their gameboys and reaching for a book! let's hope that those kids will then reach for the narnia series and the hobbit and LOTR and grow up to be a group of teenagers that actually read!

in the mean time, those of us who enjoy HP can read and view as we may, those who don't enjoy shouldn't worry their curly toe hairs about it.

*climbs down from soap box and puts her hanky away*

harry potter has it's place in society, not necessarily on this board, though. so please no more potter bashing my dear comrades?
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:32 AM   #16
HOBBIT

Well yeah I was going to say that too, but I went to sleep instead. Kids who have never really read in their lives got into the Harry Potter series (hmm some adutlts too) wanted more. They discovered that reading was fun.........all those "books to read if you liked Harry Potter" lists....hmm I believe Lotr was on almost all of those lists. But people don't assume that if a person's favorite book isn't Lotr that they either haven't read the books or are stupid in some way...it doesn't work that way

OK I could do for a change in topic here.
But go ahead everyone if you want.

Old 01-17-2002, 08:46 AM   #17
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I've got nothing inherently against HP, and the points to do with kids reading is fantastic - the more that read the better for sure.
The same is true with adults. It just smacks me as a bit mad that it takes a kid's book to make them do so.

And saying HP is not written for kids is, I believe, completely untrue. Of course they were. That would be like saying the Chronicles of Narnia were not written for kids. Of course they were. The fact they had strong adult / religious undertones and themes was beside the point.

And at no point ever did I say that my judgement was formed on me thinking LotR the bestest book of allest time :P
I am not narrow-minded enough to think that my favourite book means it must be everyone's favourite, simply that there are better offerings in a multitude of genres than HP. The fact it's in the same area as LotR though doesn't help it much
But yes, LotR is not perfect - I remember not finishing it the first two times I tried to read it because it's unwieldy, and as a youngster, FotR was actually very boring to me.

My point is, many adults who form such opinions are doing themselves a dis-service by not reading more and getting a wider sense of literature that is out there. And I'm fairly certain that if they did, many would NOT count HP as the bestest books of allest timest
Old 01-17-2002, 09:10 AM   #18
HOBBIT

Quote:
And saying HP is not written for kids is, I believe, completely untrue. Of course they were
Well, you are 100% incorrect. HP was only marketed for kids...not written (and sitll not) for kids. In almost every interview (and in the biography about J.k. Rowling), J.K. Rowling states that she wrote the books for herself....many authors do. She was surprised when they told her that it was going to be marketed for kids. All ages can enjoy it because it was written for them.

Old 01-17-2002, 09:48 AM   #19
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Really? Blimey!
I wonder then, was she shocked it it being marketed for kids, or simply marketed at all?

The only way I can rationalise them being for adults is if they are the fantasy equivalent of Mills and Boons. It's not got enough literary meat in it. Of course, this is all from my perspective, and I read a lot. Personally I prefer books that have some sort of depth to them. Current fave examples are LotR (naturally and the Dune series (although not prequels . I'm sure you'll admit they carry a different weight to their words than the HP story.

Perhaps where I'm getting mistaken is over what the general population of reading adults wants. To use my earlier example, there's a hell of a lot of women reading light romance rubbish. I don't understand that. Do people really want pure escapism with no mental processes involved? That's scary to me 'cos it's so far from what I want.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:01 PM   #20
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Maybe it's not what you want
Quote:
Do people really want pure escapism with no mental processes involved? That's scary to me 'cos it's so far from what I want.
But many people do want to escape. And people are able to make their own choices. Many TV shows that are number 1 in the US - I feel are stupid - Millionaire, Survivor, etc. But people have a right to their opinions and are free to read and enjoy what they want. I use my right to change the channel.

LOTR for me was an escape from reality - but it's not really light reading - especially since I also read the Silmarillion twice while in HS. HP is a good book/series and was a good movie. Maybe it is more simple than LOTR - but why would that make it any less than Tolkien's books. It's just different.

It's good to see that the child that was picked on by his evil relatives for 12 years is able to find himself in the center of another world. Maybe more people can relate to that more than they care to admit - whether it's being picked on in school, coming from abusive family, or whatever. Many books are just a way of escaping the mundane life - and everyone has a mundane life if they do the same thing day after day - even if they do enjoy it.

I loved Harry Potter (read them twice) I will be getting book 5 the first day it comes out too. I do love LOTR more - but the books are so different, it's impossible to compare them.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote