Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

The great Patratiotism debate

This is not a direct Iraq thread or really to do with theprotests or even the morals of the war in Iraq. It is to do with the line many UK Mps have been comming out with since the war started which is you have got to get behind the troops otherwise your not patrioric!

Now this has brought up a lot of questions in my mind first off is does it make you un patroiric to disagree with your country? Secondally do the iraqis feel the same dont agree with there leadership but feel they have to get behind there troops. Is this how states like this lears stay in power for so long a kinda under seige pulling together.

Last centuary was full of governments doing things that the mass populas would not agree with (i dont believe for one second if most germans knew about the holocorst they would support it)!

when is been patrotism turned into blind faith and possiable fear and is there a time when people should offer no support to its solders etc if the cause pains them so much!
Old 03-23-2003, 06:58 PM   #2
Sween
im quite stupid

Re: The great Patratiotism debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
This is not a direct Iraq thread or really to do with theprotests or even the morals of the war in Iraq. It is to do with the line many UK Mps have been comming out with since the war started which is you have got to get behind the troops otherwise your not patrioric!

Now this has brought up a lot of questions in my mind first off is does it make you un patroiric to disagree with your country? Secondally do the iraqis feel the same dont agree with there leadership but feel they have to get behind there troops. Is this how states like this leaders stay in power for so long a kinda under seige pulling together.

Last centuary was full of governments doing things that the mass populas would not agree with (i dont believe for one second if most germans knew about the holocorst they would support it)!

when is been patrotism turned into blind faith and possiable fear and is there a time when people should offer no support to its solders etc if the cause pains them so much!
Old 03-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #3
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I just looked up 'patriotism' and found a definition that said it is "love for or devotion to one's country."

Sounds good, I suppose, but I'm not patriotic and never have been. It has always resembled nationalism to me. The idea of being proud of your nation seems to hold the unspoken implication that other nations are not as good. Nations are made up of people, some good, some evil. I don't believe any nation is better or worse than mine, only different. The differences, in my opinion, are worth celebrating! I love French wine, German opera, Indian food, Japanese pottery, English literature, African textiles, etc.

Guess I've always felt that 'patriotism' was a dirty word with its hidden message of 'we're the best!' -- no one is best -- only different. I know that the above definition used the words 'love' and 'devotion' -- not 'proud' -- but it seems that most people see patriotism as a way of validating their belief in their own superiority. I find that offensive.

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 03-24-2003 at 03:27 AM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

What the...there was a post by Liz here a moment ago, and a reply by me to it!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:12 PM   #5
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Yes, it is totally possible to be patriotic and still disagree with your country. Support of and devotion to something are different.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:09 PM   #6
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

odd gwaimir...

hmm patriotisms definition didn't include anyhting about "having blind faith" or "lets follow the crowd" or "if you don't follow the christian leader (bushy) then your going to hell"

that's just the local meaning though.

argh, sorry if i make no sense, darn cold medicine
Old 03-23-2003, 11:17 PM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I just read that Gwaimir! I thought I was going batty! My post did dissappear! Also a happy birthday post, and a reply to Coney on Happy thread. Whoops! Whatever!

Nevermind! A glitch has occured. My post was on the "simple" side anyway!

Last edited by Lizra : 03-23-2003 at 11:25 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 11:26 PM   #8
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I just read that Gwaimir! I thought I was going batty! My post did dissappear! Also a happy birthday post, and a reply to Coney on Happy thread. Whoops! Whatever!
I'm pleased I found that other posts have gone missing.....I thought I was going fruit-loops

Is the moot under attack?

Has one of the mods gone mad?

Have I been sober too long?

Or is it all just a dream within' a dream within a computer program?

Yup, I've been sober too long...

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 11:48 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra

Nevermind! A glitch has occured. My post was on the "simple" side anyway!
I disagree. As I said in my (now passed on ) reply, I thought it was a very good post.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-24-2003, 12:07 AM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I really, really like you!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:16 AM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem

Awwww! And cass said she loved me a while back! What would I do without the Moot?

Die a long, horrible death.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-24-2003, 12:53 AM   #12
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Lizra - here is your original post if you want to post it in...

Quote:
What's a Mps? Does it make you unpatriotic to disagree with the policy your country is taking....no. (IMO)
I can't imagine what you would feel if your country was ruled by a dictator. It would be his/her country, and I would be the unfortunate soul who lived there! (unless they were "wonderful" dictators, haven't heard of many of those! )
I think dictators stay in power because they won't allow anything else to occur. Aren't all percieved enemies killed?
If you live in a wonderful country like USA, or England, where there are elections, and government is fairly accountable to the people, I think it's patriotic to stand behind your troops whether you agree or not....to let them know their sacrifice and dedication is worth it. How would it work if military only supported causes they thought were popular? How about if they didn't support a cause you believed in because they didn't care for it. It would be crazy. So, you support your troops because they are laying their life on the line for the country. You can work within the political system to change things you don't like, and if enough people agree with you, the change will happen. It truely is your country (as much as one person can "own" it) With a dictator, you are merely a slave (IMO). I'm no big political thinker here, sorry if this sounds "simple"
GW - this was your reply...
Quote:
Very good post, Liz.
This was my reply...

Quote:
I also agree 100% with Lizra. Disgreeing with your government's policy is completely different than supporting the troops.

One of the worst things in American history was the way the troops were treated after Vietnam. They had nothing to do with the war. They join the armed forces (although during Vietnam we had the draft) and must fight whether they agree with the policy or not. This is one of the reasons so many peace activists today always say - "we support the troops, we just don't support the war".

It isn't right to take your political views out on the troops. If you don't like your country's policy than take it out with the people who made the decision at the voting booth.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:07 AM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

JD is such a helpful fellow.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:22 AM   #14
Gwaimir Windgem

My thoughts exactly.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-24-2003, 01:54 AM   #15
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'd go as far as to say that support for the troops as human beings was one of the primary reasons people opposed Vietnam.

If you love your country, you should do it out of what the country is - in the case of the United States, perhaps its liberal democratic ideals, perhaps. And if you value that democracy, you value the fundamental right to question the actions of the government. There is a distinct separation between devotion to the nation and devotion to the state. You can't push for unanimous devotion to the state when that wasn't even nearly the case in your last election.

Support for one's country does not imply support for that country's government or its policies and actions.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:55 AM   #16
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

There is nothing wrong with believing that your country is better than any other. Allow me, for the sake of analogy, break it down into regions.

I am from the Northwest. though I was born in California, I spent the majority of my childhood under the shadow of the Cascade mountains, and i wouldn't trade it for any other place in the world.

That is not to say that I haven't found other places in the country beautiful as well. The Tetons on a clear autumn day are gorgeous; the Grand Canyon at sunset--breathtaking. JerseyDevil -- well, you know what his opinion about the best place to live in America. As great as all these places are, I'll always come back to the Northwest, because it's home.

so, even if governments and political ideologies weren't anykind of factor, I wouldn't want to live permanently (I've nothing against temporarily living somewhere else) in any country other than America. It's home. I can't help but think it's the greatest.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:00 AM   #17
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Yes, but sometimes people forget to draw the line between national pride and overwhelming national dedication. Remember, a sense of "our country is the best" superiority was one of the primary causes for the rise (and election) of fascist leaders.

In this continually globalizing world, I would say nationalism and patriotism are really becoming things of the past. It's one thing to think of one's own culture as really great, but there are limits to this.

Certainly, crickhollow, the approach you take to it - the personal feeling that there's no place like home - is totally legitimate and harmless. But a lot of people extend the concept of patriotism leaps and bounds beyond that, and that's when it becomes dangerous.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:08 AM   #18
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

agreed.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:12 AM   #19
Millane
The Dude

i think that Patriotism nowadays is fine and nationalism is also fine... Turn of the century and nationalism meant war and imperialism... despite current war we have definately learned from mistakes made in the past and countries are no longer thinking of the dream to have an empire where the sun never sets... Patriotism today as i see it is mainly sports driven, or maybe thats just australia might i add we won the WCC GO AUSSIES!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 07:34 AM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Thanks JD.