Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2002, 11:59 PM   #1
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Arwen and Aragorn Married?

Do Arwen and Aragorn marry at Rivendell before the fellowship leave? I didnt think they did but a friend said thats when they got married. I thought that they got married after Aragorn was king. Maybe i just need to read the LOTR again...
Old 10-19-2002, 12:15 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Then your friend needs to read the book again. They are indeed married at Aragorn/Elessar's coronation.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 11:06 AM   #3
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I thought so Thanks!
Old 10-19-2002, 11:27 AM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Mein gott.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 03:32 PM   #5
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

LOL
Old 10-19-2002, 08:56 PM   #6
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

hmmmmm..... what was that about Bropous? German?
Old 10-19-2002, 10:51 PM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Yeah... it's not too far off from what it would sound like in English, let's just say...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 03:14 PM   #8
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

They only smooched a lot in Rivendell. They got married after Ara gorn became King. That was the only way he could marry Arwen.
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 08:42 PM   #9
entss89
lord of the ents

no way are they ever married because i read my appindex in the back of the book and it said that he never even liked her liked her! ( it maybe someone else though sorry if i make a mistake)

entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 09:48 PM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Arwen and Aragorn were most certainly married prior to the hobbits' departure from Gondor.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:53 PM   #11
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Although they'd been together long enough prior to that to be considered common-law husband and wife.
Presumably then, if Aragorn had given up Arwen for Eowyn, Arwen would by law be entitled to half of Gondor.
Fortunately, this never came to pass, and being the responsible couple that they were (bing old fashioned Christians) they got married, and had their first child much longer than nine months after the happy day.

Or so the histories tell us, but since Aragorn controlled them, who can say?

And between you and me, they both seemed a little... old... to have kids. I mean, 40+ is considered risky over here for the woman. Really they should be more responsible - what kind of message would that have sent to the kids of the Fourth Age eh?

*grumbles*
Old 10-25-2002, 11:28 AM   #12
madeyejay
Hobbit

I think your friend is referring to a scene in the movie where it shows them hand in hand pledging to each other. They are not marring, just promising to each other.