Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-06-2003, 09:22 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Chicago

Wow, there's no thread about it here?

I loved this movie. I've only seen it once (the day it opened, which was a while ago) but I've been meaning to see it again ever since... I found it to be a brilliant film. I'd never seen the Broadway show before either, but apparently the adaptation was rather liberal, though it worked just fine for me. I'm glad the movie musical is finally getting its renaissance... Moulin Rouge! one year and Chicago the next - this is a good trend.

I'm not going to be complaining if it wins Best Picture this year at the Oscars... as much as I loved Two Towers, LOTR still has a shot next year.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I havn't seen it yet but i am going to and i can't wait it looks really good!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I didn't like it. I walked out in the middle.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:36 PM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Really? Do you walk out of films often, or did you just really hate this one? I had an amazing time with it myself...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 03-07-2003, 07:49 PM   #5
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

No, I never walk out. I always give the movie a chance to see if it has a worthwhile ending. The people I was with wanted to leave and I wasn't enjoying it, so we saw another movie. I just didn't like the music and the dancing seemed like trash to me. Overall, it looked kind of degrading.

What did you like about it?

I'll probably rent it and see if it turns out to be good.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:47 PM   #6
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I only walk out of a film if i really don't like it!

What rating is it? I can't remember! Is it a 12 or a 15?
Old 03-10-2003, 03:42 AM   #7
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
I'm not going to be complaining if it wins Best Picture this year at the Oscars... as much as I loved Two Towers, LOTR still has a shot next year.
as much as i hope TTT wins best picture i think it will be GoNY which more than deserves it...
i couldnt bring myself to sit through Chicago i dont think it would be my boyish kind of movie
Old 03-10-2003, 08:55 PM   #8
LeniFreak
Hobbit

Location: In a small town in a small state in a...rather overlarge country
I haven't seen Chicago yet! I saw the play like four million years ago, but I want to see the movie wicked badly...
Old 03-11-2003, 12:21 AM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"as much as i hope TTT wins best picture i think it will be GoNY which more than deserves it..."
Disagree... Gangs of New York was a promising film, but ended up trying too hard and really falling apart at the end, in my opinion. I never got around to writing a full review of it, but I have various gripes... I really wish it were that good, but I just can't say that it is.

I'll be happy if it goes to Chicago or The Pianist this year. As long as I'm guaranteed an ROTK sweep next year, eh?

Old 03-11-2003, 07:00 AM   #10
Millane
The Dude

what???
geez i have no what yoiu could complain about... i found nothing to... i think the only thing that got me disappointed was Liam Neeson/Priest Vallon left early... he was my fav character...
as for best actor i dont think richard geer has got anything on daniel day lewis...
id be quite interested in reading a review but ill understand if you dont, i wont comment anymore on Chicago as i havent seen it and probly wont...
Old 03-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

GoNY just wasn't Scorsese's strongest piece of work. And I don't know WHAT he was thinking when he cast Leo...
Old 03-12-2003, 05:51 AM   #12
Millane
The Dude

nah Gangs was definately his best movie then Taxi Driver thats still a pretty cool movie but no GoNY...
what do you mean you dont know what he was thinking casting Leo ???? everyone that ive been and seen it says that he was great, of course no one expected him to look good cast alongside DDL but he did a great job nonetheless... anyways i loved it and it has an awesome soundtrack aswell...
GOD I LOVE THE PREIST
Old 03-29-2003, 03:50 PM   #13
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Wow! I saw Chicago today! It is brilliant!
I loved every bit of it! I bought the soundtrack straight after!
Old 03-30-2003, 01:37 PM   #14
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I finally saw this! And it was awesome. My best friend didn't really like it because of the costumes. (Or lack thereof...) And, while I think they could have been a teensy bit more covered, I also think this risque-ness showed jazz era USA...which could have POSSIBLY been the point...hmmm...wow, I can't believe I thought of that all by myself! Everyone in this was so incredibly talented. It was a genius of a musical. I couldn't stop dancing...even in the theatre! (Until someone saw me.... )
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 03:35 PM   #15
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I know what u mean!! I was dancing too!!! well infact i still am as i hav the soundtrack on constantly!!!
On the way out of the cinema my Grandma was dancing and she was dancing in the shops!! It was quite embarrising but funny!!

I love all the costumes, the dancing, the singing and acting! I thought both Catherine and Renee were brilliant but i REALLY like Catherine she was brilliant!!
Old 03-30-2003, 10:35 PM   #16
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I finally saw Chicago for the second time today. It stands up quite well.

Old 03-30-2003, 10:38 PM   #17
Orlando is hot
Sapling

I saw chicago ages ago, and i loved it so far i have seen i 4 times and i cant wait to see it again!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to get the DVD. I rekon Cathrine deserved the Oscar that she got, and she still looks pretty even though shes pregnant !!!!! I love the 'pop' 'six'....... song, its so good, i was telling my friend that it was mya but did she believe me???? noooooo, then it came up in the credits and i was like ' told you so!!!' it was really funny. i love the line, ' he saw himself as alive, but i saw him as dead.' its really good. and ' what baby?' ( from Roxie to mr cellophane. )
i rekon he was really funny!!! i was offered the part as roxie in the inter school play (this was before the movie came out) and i turned it down, coz of all the time id have to put in. I was too lazy but now i regret it........... dammn it.

CHICAGO ROX ' Rox - ie Hart!!'

I LOVE CHICAGO!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 02:19 AM   #18
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Yeah, I loved the Cellblock Tango myself...

[amusing anecdote]One of my friends is in the Junior Classical League at my school, and she's obsessed with the Cellblock Tango. She's always singing it. So now, whenever she answers a question in JCL with "Cicero", another of her friends will automatically say "Lipschitz".[/amusing anecdote]

I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones was absolutely brill as Velma Kelly - she did a much better job than Renee Zellweger, IMNSHO. I love the line - "Here's a little tip, just from me to you. Keep your paws off my underwear."

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:56 AM   #19
Millane
The Dude

ohhh my god what a load of absolute s**t i was disgusted by such a crap movie, i couldnt bring myself to watch the full thing... i found myself able to watch Moulin Rouge because i think Baz pulled it off better than the director of Chicago (who was it???)
i have lost any faith i had in the acadamy's when that got best pic over Gangs and TTT
please Ironparrot what did you find were flaws in GoNY? my curiosity is growing
unfortunately i havent been able to see the Pianist yet so i cant judge the reasoning that led to Daniel Day Lewis not getting best actor but it better be damn good...
but honestly Chicago best picture my arse
Old 03-31-2003, 08:14 AM   #20
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
ohhh my god what a load of absolute s**t i was disgusted by such a crap movie, i couldnt bring myself to watch the full thing... i found myself able to watch Moulin Rouge because i think Baz pulled it off better than the director of Chicago (who was it???)
i have lost any faith i had in the acadamy's when that got best pic over Gangs and TTT
please Ironparrot what did you find were flaws in GoNY? my curiosity is growing
unfortunately i havent been able to see the Pianist yet so i cant judge the reasoning that led to Daniel Day Lewis not getting best actor but it better be damn good...
but honestly Chicago best picture my arse
I agree completely

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com