Starcraft

Anyone play the strat. game Starcraft?

[TRUTH](==========>

]|-|[ |[]| "||"
LoRdSCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:53 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Good game. I got about 3/4 of the way through it, before I got bored of doing the same thing over and over again though. (Build up army bases, build up big army, take said big army and whammy enemies. Next mission. Repeat.) Try Warcraft III - the BF appears to enjoy it a bit more. It sounds a helluva lot more strategic, and actually requires some patience, and thought - something I'm not terribly good for... I thought it was cool how you could play the other species though... I forget what they're called...

Later edit:

What other games have you played? Have you heard of System Shock? It's my favourite PC game, but it's a bit old now. Most people don't seem to have heard of it. Even though there was a sequel fairly recently. (Very scary, but obscured I think by Half Life - which was also pretty good.) I also like some of the early Lucasarts Adventure games like Day of the Tentacle, and Sam & Max.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-01-2002 at 01:56 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:20 AM   #3
LoRdSCypher
Sapling

Yeah SC is very repetative. I beat it and now only use it for multi player use map setting games (suck as Dodge the Rapist ). You know, i've never heard of System Shock. What kinda genre is it? and what was the sequel, maybe i've heard of it...

[TRUTH](==========>

]|-|[ |[]| "||"
Old 08-01-2002, 02:30 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Um... How to describe my favourite game of ALL TIME?! Hehe. Well, it came out in 1994/5 and was released by Origin/Looking Glass. (Same people who did Ultima Underworld, Thief: Darkproject, and Terranova.) It's basically a shoot 'em up, but it actually had a plot, and several puzzles that you needed to solve to advance in the game (not find the key puzzles, but actual puzzles like fixing a particular machine, or attempting to get an elevator back online, and in the middle of everything, you'd pick up vid-diaries of people on the ship, and slowly piece together the horrors that went on). And unlike most games of the time, it wasn't linear, although there was still some restriction.

It was based on the Citadel space station. Your character was a hacker who got busted, and made to do some unethical hacking on the quiet, to keep from the slammer. This unethical hacking involved hacking into the Citadels computer system - SHODAN - and "releasing" her. Then you're put into a coma for 6 months (I know! Convenient!) to recover from the neural implant that they gave you as a "sweetener." Next thing you know, you wake up on the station alone, and something has gone horribly wrong...

It's a great game! But probably VERY dated now. Its sequel was release a couple of years ago, and was called System Shock 2. And it was more of the same, only #$%@ing scary!
Old 08-01-2002, 03:05 PM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Believe it or not there is already a topic about this somewhere here. I actually started a topic about it and played a 1 v 1 with fellow admin IronParrot. He beat me :P But of course that is because I had just gotten the game about a month earlier and I was playing terran and he was toss. I've never been too great with terran - but I think newbies often pick them beacuse they can relate to humans. I became good with the protoss and zerg. I even have my own clan.

But I havent been on Star Craft in a bit. I also play Diablo II. You think Starcraft is repetitive? At least there they are different missions and with multiplayer and ums there is something different. Diablo is literally the same thing over and over again.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 06:07 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I haven't played Diablo II, but I get your drift. And it's a credit to Starcraft that I stopped 3/4 of the way through as opposed to some of the other games, where I couldn't be bothered playing past the first few missions, cos you got all the technology available to you after mission five - well, there goes MY incentive. Age of Empires is a good example of this: repetitive missions, and technological abilities available too soon. I also got sick of having to start from scratch every single mission. I'd take ages (you can't hurry these things ), build up a massive army, take out the bad guys, and then have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN. I hear warcraft III is avoiding this, thank Eru.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:57 AM   #7
LoRdSCypher
Sapling

Cool. What's the name of your clan, i'm the leader of a clan also, the LoRdS clan . I know what u mean about the terran i hate playin w/ them cause i royally suck w/ them, i'm best w/ toss, and also the ums is really a cool multiplayer option. I usally play dodge the rapist or matrix. I have diablo and i played for a little while but everyone on there hacks and are pks, so i just stop playing. Is diablo 2 any diff. b/c most ppl say it's basically the same thing as 1?

[TRUTH](==========>

]|-|[ |[]| "||"
Old 06-01-2003, 09:47 PM   #8
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Re: Starcraft

Quote:
Originally posted by LoRdSCypher
Anyone play the strat. game Starcraft?
Ya man. I toootally looove this game.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:04 PM   #9
HOBBIT

hmm and IP said that it wasn't installed on his comp.

What is your account name so i can bea- i mean play you? keep in mind that i havent played in a long while.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 06-02-2003, 01:08 PM   #10
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I also challenged somebody on Entmoot to a game a while ago but I got no reply. Let's designate a channel so we can all check in periodically when we are on b.net.

How about channel "Entmoot". Of course

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:07 AM   #11
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

When I have time I will likely reinstall StarCraft, then maybe check that channel. It is unlikely I will play at all except on weekends, though.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:46 AM   #12
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i had it for N64 but the i lost it or maybe it was stolen....i liked protoss. they i thought had sweet defense so i never lost
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:03 AM   #13
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

SC is ok, I beat it in two days when I first got it. Some of the "use map settings" games scare me (ie sex on the beach )
Old 07-28-2003, 02:33 AM   #14
HOBBIT

I can't play star craft anymore - maybe you can help?

I just got a computer upgrade so now my computer is on Windows XP and is like 10x faster than my old one running on Windows 98

UNFORTUNATELY, only my files could be transferred - not any of my programs!!

This includes star craft

I have the Brood War CD - but I do not have the original Star Craft CD.

It is not really that important, but I just found it to be a very very fun game.

I got Star Craft BW as a gift several years ago. The friend who gave it to me only bought me BW and burned me a copy of his SC CD. Unfortunately, a few weeks after he gave it to me the CD broke - not sure how (there seemed to be a lot of scratches on the back though.

That was fine though - since all I played was Brood War.

Well now I can't reinstall Brood War because I don't have Star Craft original. I *think* I still have my CD key lying around somewhere.

I would really appreciate it if someone could burn me a copy of SC original and mail it to me.

If not - oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:52 PM   #15
Anglorfin
Alasailon

"tis a fun game. I only wish I could help you, HOBBIT, but at the moment I am suffering from the exact same dilemma.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 07-29-2003, 12:57 AM   #16
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i have brood war cd and the original but i lost the original so i cant upload it
I AM CANADIAN

Old 07-29-2003, 01:35 AM   #17
HOBBIT

Well, I could always go out and buy it *gasp*

I believe they sell the original Star Craft for $9.95 at target and even at most soft wear stores. I've seen the Star Craft battle chest for $20 in most places.

Old 07-29-2003, 03:18 AM   #18
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Well, I could always go out and buy it *gasp*

I believe they sell the original Star Craft for $9.95 at target and even at most soft wear stores. I've seen the Star Craft battle chest for $20 in most places.
Yeah it's really cheap now. Though I have never ectually purchased it either. I estimate that between me and my friends burning it over and over we cost Blizzard up to 1,000 dollars. But that was in the age before they got smart and installed anti-burn stuff on software.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:13 AM   #19
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

do they have starcraft for playstation
I AM CANADIAN

Old 07-29-2003, 04:29 PM   #20
HOBBIT

um, no.

They just came out with Star Craft Ghost now or something like that. a FPS for all the major consoles - too bad I don't have any of them :P

There was a Starcraft like the one for PC on N64, I believe, but not playstation.