Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2002, 12:25 AM   #1
Entlover
Elven Warrior

how can we manage without the Scouring of the Shire

I just finished the Scouring of the Shire and this is really bugging me: how can PJ finish the movies without including the Scouring?

Can he just have our heroes return to the Shire and it's all fine just as when they left?
Or have a scene a year later that refers to what went on?
The Scouring is a perfect opportunity to show how Merry and Pippin have changed from comic idiots to leaders and warriors; he'll have to show that some other way if the Scouring's left out.
Then there are the rumors about Saruman dying on a wheel? How would that fit in?
What do you all think?
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 12:48 AM   #2
olsonm
Elf Lord

PJ has made the destruction of the ring the sole storyline. All three movies and everything in them revolves around this. All the storylines have been bent or slightly altered to fit this (Aragorn's story being the most notable). The Scouring is not directly related to this and would seem out of place in this version of the story.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:51 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I think Peter Jackson is an idiot. Okay, maybe that is a *bit* strong, but for me, FOTR (the movie) was a let down, and I can only imagine it's gonna get worse from here in. No scouring? And just think: that combined with the fact that Merry & Pippin have been made into comic relief... It doesn't bode well, my friends.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 07-18-2002 at 12:52 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 01:15 AM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Treebeard

My first thought is that the destruction of the ring is such a dramatic climax, that the movies will stop at that point. Then there's Aragorn though. I think somehow, he might be shown becoming a king (in some manner) before the Ring Bearer fulfills his quest, and the movie ending on the the dramatic downfall of Sauron. Just a guess.....

Last edited by Lizra : 07-18-2002 at 01:16 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 01:16 AM   #5
olsonm
Elf Lord

Actually, given what little we know about the stucture of TT and ROTK, PJ would be an idiot if he let in the Scouring. Mt. Doom/Aragorn's coronation is the climax and the Grey Havens is the epilogue. Beginning a new story only tangentally related to the quest of the ring in between the climax and epilogue would be difficult to pull of smoothly in a movie.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:45 AM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Agreed. It doesn't make the mangling of the books any easier to bear though.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:53 AM   #7
olsonm
Elf Lord

The books were mangled as soon as they decided to make a movie out of them. They aren't suited to the medium (at least not as written). I accept PJ calling the movies an interpretation rather than an adaption (I also note that they stopped calling the movie "JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings"). I also accept your dissatisfaction with them.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:58 AM   #8
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
Mt. Doom/Aragorn's coronation is the climax and the Grey Havens is the epilogue.
I like this way of looking at it. I refuse to settle for anything less than the Gray Havens at the end, however.

Maybe an antacid would help, BOP.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:27 AM   #9
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
Me too!

Of course, we must think of the unleaned audience too. They will be looking forward to a relaxing end, so PJ decided to cut it, as it isn't a "important" part in the book.

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:30 AM   #10
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
ACK! Another typo! That should be "unlearned".

Hissss. We doesn't like that 90 second rule......

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:04 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ringbearer
Me too!

Of course, we must think of the unleaned audience too. They will be looking forward to a relaxing end, so PJ decided to cut it, as it isn't a "important" part in the book.
But that's just it: while it may not be a "central" storyline (in terms of the destruction of the ring), I DO happen to deem it a pretty important plot development in terms of the "evolution" of the Hobbits' characters. *sigh*

Oh, and I've already gobbled my way through several packets of quickeeze. Thanks for asking!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:10 AM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

The grey Havens would be a good ending! I just hope it's done (the coronation, if it's in there) better than the shmaltzy celebration at the end of that Star Wars movie, (the Ewoks one).
Old 07-18-2002, 01:23 PM   #13
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Coronations, if similar events I've been to are any indication, tend to be boring.
But I have great hope, because PJ did such a good job on the birthday party in the beginning.
We must have the "Praise them with great praise!" part, also the gray havens, and Samwise returning home to Rose and Elanor.
Either that or Frodo on shipboard and his first sight of the Undying Lands -- but that may be asking a bit much. I vote for Samwise.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:44 PM   #14
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Treebeard

Yes, The birthday party was great....That's a pleasant thought!!
Old 07-18-2002, 05:22 PM   #15
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Strider

I'll miss the Scouring of the Shire. But I don't think PJ is an idiot as BoP put it. The RotK will probably be the longest movie, and TSotS isn't that important to the story line. But don't get me wrong, I will miss it.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 07:20 PM   #16
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I seriously think they should leave "Scouring of the Shire" in the movie. Leaving out Bombadil was bad enough, but leaving out SotS would be demonic.

P.S. The Ringbearer, you can just edit your post and change the typo w/o having to wait 90 sec.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:34 PM   #17
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I've resigned myself to the fact that there will be no scouring. As for Saruman this is my theory (which will probably be wrong ): when Gandalf and co. go to Isengard after its destruction, Grima will push Saruman onto the wheel. Obviously Saruman won't be killed in the Shire. Pippin and Merry will hopefully have changed after thier battles, and so the scouring is not needed to show that fact.

We have to remember that this is not JRRT's LOTR, but Peter Jackson's LOTR. If he thinks that the Scouring, Tom, ect. won't work then that his decision. But I will be angry if ROTK doesn't end with Sam saying "Well, I'm back".
Old 07-19-2002, 01:51 PM   #18
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
But if there wasn't any Scouring Pj will have to alter the scene on Mt. Doom as well. Frodo doesn't succed in his quest. HE doesn't destroy the Ring. Gollum does. Frodo FAILS. And ummm I remember Galadriel saying that if he didn't succed in the quest then all that he saw would happen. So I haven't lost hope completely. Besides PJ didn't make that many alterations in FOTR
Why should that change in TTT and ROTK? I dont think that they'll make such a stupid mistake as to change the whole scene on Mt Doom. It would destroy the whole story as well. If they had planned on doing that the whole plot line would be changed.
And isn't LOTR all about destroying the Ring? Or is there something I missed?
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:39 PM   #19
olsonm
Elf Lord

What Frodo saw in the mirror wasn't the Scouring. It was a vision of Sauron's might should the ring not be destroyed. No matter who destroys the ring once it's destroyed the mirror vision can't happen. PJ has said the scouring is out, unequivocally.
Old 07-20-2002, 10:20 PM   #20
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel

I seriously hope they don't cut the Scouring b/c that's one of the better parts in ROTK. I don't know how they'll do Merry and Pippin growing "mature" if they cut it out. The Scouring helps show how more better behaved they are and how they aren't near as afraid as they were @ first. I also think it's important to notice the difference between how they act at the beginning and how they act at the end.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote