Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-02-2001, 01:11 AM   #1
Darth Tater

Let Bartlet Be Bartlet

I've avoided starting a topic about The West Wing for a long time, mostly because I just don't usually start threads, and I'm lazy, and I don't remember why. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna just sit around and not rant for joy after tonights rerun.

There are some people who write like "girls" and some who "blow the roofs of buildings" (Felt appropriate to quote Sam Seaborn). Aaron Sorkin is one of the greatest writers of all time in my humble opinion. His show makes me happy: it inspires, provokes, agitates, and excites. But mostly it just makes me so happy!

I love that he is not affraid to do something daring that could possibly alienate his viewers. Does anyone see any way Bartlet could win the election? No, it seems impossible. And he may loose. But if I know the West Wing, they'll pull another beautifull episode out of the great Aaron Sorkin's hat, something to rival even the greatest endings like "You put your hands in your pockets, and turned away, and smiled," and tonights beautifull rerun:

"I serve at the pleasure of the President."
Old 08-02-2001, 01:32 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: Let Bartlet Be Bartlet

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about, due to the fact that I don't watch television.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:38 AM   #3
gdl96

Sorry, I was watching FAMILY GUY!!!!

"One time when Louis and I were having sex I called her Frank" :lol: Watch! 9:30 WED FOX!!!
Old 08-02-2001, 01:56 AM   #4
Darth Tater

Nah, I'm busy watching something WORTHWHILE then
Old 08-02-2001, 03:00 AM   #5
Johnny Lurker

I don't watch this show.

In fact, I don't watch much TV. Although I've read a few scripts of this show posted on the 'Net... good, but nothing really groundbreaking (like Tom Clancy) from what I've seen. Oh, and feel free to ask me to elaborate, because there's nothing I'd like to do more. Well, almost nothing.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:39 PM   #6
Darth Tater

Re: I don't watch this show.

Tom Clancy? Would you mind if I called him a talentless hack THe scripts are awesome in their own right, but part of the joy of The West Wing is its beautifull visual style and impecible acting, which don't come off in the writing
Old 08-02-2001, 05:25 PM   #7
mRoWrY

It really IS "beautiful" and "impeccable," isn't it?
Old 08-02-2001, 06:02 PM   #8
Darth Tater

i ken spel!
Old 08-02-2001, 07:14 PM   #9
juntel

second season was a bit disapointing compared to the first, began a bit slowly...

also, some characters disapeared, written off, or just not seen anymore: Gnrl Fitzpatrick (John Amos, because he's now on another cop show); Zoey(sp?), which is still supposed to be Charley's girlfriend; Moira Kelly's character (written off? what reasons were invoked within the show?); and some others who had direct relationships with the main characters (did we see T.Busfield in the second season?).

Anyways... but the 2nd season finale was great though.

/edited: it's "Fitzwallace", not "Fitzpatrick"... bleh...
Old 08-02-2001, 07:34 PM   #10
Johnny Lurker

Clancy is utterly brilliant.

Don't trust anything with "and" in the author space, though... I don't know why on earth he'd let other people ruin his franchises, but...
Old 08-03-2001, 12:38 AM   #11
Darth Tater

Re: Clancy is utterly brilliant.

I think the guy who played Fitz died. I think the paper on how to beat the POTUS is why Mandy dissapeared. Zoey WAS there at the beginning of the season, and wasn't needed later on. I thought this season was a huge improvement from last, and that's saying a lot. The characters really grew, especially CJ. They are much more comfortable in the White House now, and theyr'e not just angry for no reason any more. The show is more serious but much funnier at the same time. Although nothing will ever beat Take This Sabbath Day (ok, next season they probably will, but I don't see how) the season finale came pretty damn close! I loved the flashbacks with Josh too, which really brought to light the "What's Next" thing. It's a brilliant show and it gets even better as the years progress. And it will be on for at least five more years!
Old 08-03-2001, 04:36 AM   #12
juntel

John Amos died?

Kunta Kinte died?

arghhh! I'll miss that actor...

/edited: didn't find any info about the supposed J. Amos death, after only a quick search though.
He did leave the show though to play a mayor (not a cop!) on another show (The District, i don't catch it on tv here).
Phew!
Old 08-03-2001, 02:28 PM   #13
Darth Tater

I could be wrong, I just heard it in conversation. The District was a total dissaster and I doubt it'll be back next season. I gotta say I think they dealt with the Fitz thing pretty well though. I mean, it's true that he wouldn't always be walking around the White House
Old 08-04-2001, 04:38 PM   #14
webwizard333

BM: Maybe you should make the movie forum into a movie & tv forum so it gets more activity.
Old 08-04-2001, 05:08 PM   #15
Darth Tater

Actually, a shocking number of our visitors don't even watch tv
Old 08-04-2001, 05:16 PM   #16
webwizard333

Still, it would be nice to talk about your favurite TV shows.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:02 PM   #17
Shanamir Duntak

In fact, internet if far more funny & instructive than TV...

But, if you want my opinion on that, Simpsons RuLeZ!
Old 08-05-2001, 02:43 PM   #18
Gilthalion

I hardly ever watch television...

I catch a few newsprograms. Animal Planet, Home & Garden, Food Network. Occasional documentaries.

And MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE.