Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Manners on the internet

How do you feel about manners on the internet? Do you think when you are in an instant message with someone, that it is rude for them to just leave and not say goodbye?

This is my biggest complaint. Also I have a problem with people that instant message asking a question and you answer and then they just never talk again. what's that about? I have that problem with some people from this board in IMs, but I won't mention any names. Do you know such people, and what has been your internet experiences?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:02 PM   #2
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I can usually understand someone not saying goodbye in an IM. they could have been kicked off, or were to busy doing something else that required their immediate attention.
I can understand, because same things happen to me.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:16 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
I can usually understand someone not saying goodbye in an IM. they could have been kicked off, or were to busy doing something else that required their immediate attention.
I can understand, because same things happen to me.
Usually though, when one gets kicked off, they come right back and say they got kicked. I just can't see being to busy to say bye if I'm going to get off line, or end an IM. I mean it only takes a second.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #4
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I've had the same exerience with rude people. I can't stand it. I don't even go on instant messaging anymore, because only a couple of times I've actually had a decent conversation, the rest were just rude, perverted, people.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:34 PM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, the people I talk to aren't wierd or perverted, and not all are rude, just a couple of them, but it is so annoying.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-02-2003, 09:40 PM   #6
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

well, sometimes i find that rude, but only in some circumstances.

If you have been talking to someone and within 5-10 min of talking to them, you have to go THEN you really should say goodbye.

It annoys me to no end when I was just talking to someone and a second later they sign off to go to bed - I mean how RUDE!

But its not really rude if you don't say goodbye after not talking to them for 20+ minutes.

I always say goodbye when I'm recently talking to someone, but only sometimes if its like 30 minutes after the conversation is over and I have to go.

You have to remember that AIM is NOT real life. Different rules apply to it. Aside from things being obviously rude, others are not. Leaving for a long period of time is understandable and you can't always say brb or afk. You can't be expected to stay at your comp all night and talk to one person.

Talking on aim is NOT like a REAL CONVERSATION. You can't really talk continuously on aim like in real life. When you are done talking in real life you say bye and walk away. You can't really walk away on aim - the conversation just ends for a while.

Hard to explain, but you should get it. After you are done talking - the person is still online. You can't really say "alright, im done talking to you, go away please"

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:57 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
You have to remember that AIM is NOT real life. Different rules apply to it. Aside from things being obviously rude, others are not. Leaving for a long period of time is understandable and you can't always say brb or afk.
exactly. its a whole different medium of communication. just like talking on the phone is different from talking in person. dont get all worked up because they dont follow the same rules as you do in person. they dont really apply. now as far as people from the board just messaging you and asking you a question then not talking to you after you answer well that might have something to do with the fact you appear as an authority figure and they dont want to bug you more then they need to. especially if they come whining to you about technical problems with the moot. they probably figure you have better things to do with your time. it doesnt occur to them to chew the fat. which is too bad. one of the things i enjoy about talking to moot people off the moot is you get a MUCH better picture of who they are and what their pesonality is really like that is limited by just reading their posts here. interaction is always better.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

SGH just misses me that's all
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
SGH just misses me that's all
Have I told you lately that you're crazy?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-02-2003, 11:23 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT

You have to remember that AIM is NOT real life. Different rules apply to it. Aside from things being obviously rude, others are not. Leaving for a long period of time is understandable and you can't always say brb or afk. You can't be expected to stay at your comp all night and talk to one person.
Why can't you say brb or afk? My god, how long can it take to type three letters? Who said anything about staying at the computer all night talking to one person? I'm talking about having a conversation with someone and if they have to go do something, the polite thing is to say brb, or afk, or might take a few. As for saying goodbye, I don't care if it has been a 10 minute conversation, and then a 20 minute pause and no conversation, saying goodbye when you sign off isn't so hard, and it's the polite thing to do.

Quote:
Talking on aim is NOT like a REAL CONVERSATION. You can't really talk continuously on aim like in real life. When you are done talking in real life you say bye and walk away. You can't really walk away on aim - the conversation just ends for a while.
That is no excuse. The fact that it isn't in person does not mean it's okay to be rude. Why do some people feel it is so hard or too much work to be polite. RL or not?

Quote:
Hard to explain, but you should get it. After you are done talking - the person is still online. You can't really say "alright, im done talking to you, go away please"
No, you shouldn't say that, that is rude. But you can say something to end the discussion politely. "I'm going to bed now" I am going to surf the web for awhile, so talk to ya later" There are a multitude of nice ways to end it.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-03-2003, 04:59 AM   #11
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Re: Manners on the internet

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
How do you feel about manners on the internet? Do you think when you are in an instant message with someone, that it is rude for them to just leave and not say goodbye?
Sometimes, but it really depends on who you're talking to. Most often I chat with people I know really well; we understand that another person may be busy doing something else and we won't take things like this personally. Sometimes I get disconnected, and don't bother to reconnect (because I realise that I've already been online for too long!), and my friends don't care at all.

I know that once in a while I may be trying to do too many things at once (posting, emailing, PMing, downloading, reading), and I forget to change my MSN status to busy. [I think you Americans use AIM like we use Messenger, btw. Noone uses ICQ or AIM here much]. Consequently I get friends flooding the chat page with 'Leeeeeee! Leeeeeee, where are you?!'.

The main thing is, if you're good enough friends with them; it shouldn't matter. My friends don't take it personal, like I don't.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:21 AM   #12
Beor
founder of the color blue

Yeah, I'm pretty new to all this computer stuff anyway, but me and my wife get on the Yahoo! instant messenger sometimes, and lots of times I have to go or the entire building loses power, thus screwing me over, but my wife understands, I cant always say good-bye.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:31 AM   #13
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Well, I suppose I'm a great believer in manners as far as possible, for lots of reasons ... like it makes the other person feel better, for a start

So when I'm on IM if I have to go I ALWAYS say that I have to go, and say goodbye (only takes a couple of secs), and if someone's helped I always at least say 'thanks'.

Yes, there have been times when communications have stopped suddenly, but that's always been because one of us has been booted off, and in my experience one or the other will try to come back in some way to say what had happened - even if it means the message only comes through as an offline some time later.

But I have found rude people around. Yes, it's not very nice - but I tend to think it's a reflection more on them ......
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:44 AM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yeah, I know there are valid reasons not to say goodbye. I have had some bad connection problems where I get booted and the modem is down and I can't get back on until it comes back up. When I do get back on, if the people that I was speaking to are still on, then I explain to them what happened.

Some people just have a rudeness about them though and do the same thing all the time. Certian people that I have spoke to frequently that slam the door shut, while I am in the middle of typing to them. That is the kind of rudeness I am talking about.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-03-2003, 11:49 AM   #15
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Some people just have a rudeness about them though and do the same thing all the time. Certian people that I have spoke to frequently that slam the door shut, while I am in the middle of typing to them. That is the kind of rudeness I am talking about.
That's just rude.
You should kindly remind them that it upsets you when they do that.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:51 PM   #16
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

I don't use IM so I don't know what's that like but I can imagine it's pretty awful. I don't like it when I ask people questions and they don't answer them.
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:49 PM   #17
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I usually only open up a chat program because I am at my computer for something else anyway. It is very rare that I will start using my computer specifically for chatting. So I can understand people who can forget a conversation exists pretty much.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:58 PM   #18
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

I agree with SGH. It is rude to sign off without saying 'bye. I actually have never really talked to anyone on IM that did that to me.
When I stop a conversation with people, usually we both say goodbye five or six times! ( Due to me having to say one last witty remark. )

Last edited by jellyfishannah : 12-10-2003 at 11:59 PM.
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:43 PM   #19
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

Yeah, I don't use IM. Nice av, BTW.
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote