Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

The internet - a playground for the ID or a mirror for the superego?

I have a dual citizenship. I am Canadian and a Netizen of the WWW. I spend a lot of time online, both for my business and my relaxation time. It's addictive, but why?

The internet is a playground for my ID. I can do anything, say anything, see anything on here. If I have a penceant for sex and nudity, the internet is there, if I want to dabble in perversions, there's always 1,000,000,000 p0rn sites. If I want to simulate rape, I can go to certain MUDS etc... violence, hate, food, sex, drugs, moremoremore. I can kill and die on here and my only limit is my imagination and the speed at which I can type!!!

The internet is also a mirror for my superego. Am I normal? Am I breaking any rules? Are there rules that should or should not be broken or bent. I can post here, or on any of the thousands of BBS's online, a topic of my choice, and get responces. Some responces come accross as sugar-coated plattitudes, others as outright attacks and excercises in minutae-management. I can then take it all in, find the median and call it 'normal', and then compare myself to it.

In either case, I consider the internet and sites like this one as a time-consuming and yet rewarding excersize in Freudian dynamics on a global scale.

Comments?
MrBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

And this differs from real life in what way?

It is not what goes into a man but what comes out of him that determines who he is. Jesus ('course he was talking dietary laws, but the principle is the same).

One would not be different on the 'Net than one would be in all of life.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
And this differs from real life in what way?

It is not what goes into a man but what comes out of him that determines who he is. Jesus ('course he was talking dietary laws, but the principle is the same).

One would not be different on the 'Net than one would be in all of life.

Easier to masquerade on the net...but who we are dribbles through regardless I would think. Great reference inked.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:09 AM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I would say both, of course!

I totally agree with inked's comment: the same rules apply from RL discource. Yet there is something different about the internet, IMO, in that you can play with your identity in a (relatively) consequence-free manner. This seems to breed honesty and dishonesty in equal amounts.

In a work situation, I have experienced both extremes: e.g. at the one end, very disabled people who are able to participate in research projects via the net; at the other, intimidation, harassment and slander of innocent individuals and institutions by rather angry and nasty people with too much time on their hands.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
In a work situation, I have experienced both extremes: e.g. at the one end, very disabled people who are able to participate in research projects via the net; at the other, intimidation, harassment and slander of innocent individuals and institutions by rather angry and nasty people with too much time on their hands.
Gaffer sums it up pretty well I say.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Thought For The Day

You can attempt to hide your persona for a minute, or an hour, but eventually the essence of your being crashes through, and exposes you for who you really are.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
Thought For The Day

You can attempt to hide your persona for a minute, or an hour, but eventually the essence of your being crashes through, and exposes you for who you really are.
I'd say that there are many our ther who have managed to hide their true nature, even from themselves, to the point where it is just like breathing.

I consider the internet just like alcohol. An anti-inhibitor and a magnifying lens to the 'soul'.
MrBishop is offline   Reply With Quote