Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
Dark Lord Sauron
Hobbit

Internet Problems!

Yo, I have a massive problem with my family’s computer. It doesn’t really affect me since I have my own comp, but the rest of the family is in big trouble if it doesn’t get fixed.

Apparently, my brother inadvertently installed some spy ware while surfing the internet. I decided to use Ad-Aware, as it had helped me get rid of spy ware on my computer. When I tried running it, however, I got a message saying that the computer was being automatically shut down in 60 seconds. According to the message, something to the effect of NT Service\Authority initiated the shutdown. I managed to quarantine what I had found but I couldn’t get a full list. I decided to unplug the internet and try to use Ad-Aware. It worked, I managed to get a full list and then deleted all of it. However, now the internet doesn’t work on that computer. I don’t know when it failed, whether it was when those automatic shutdowns were prompted, or if I deleted something I shouldn’t have with Ad-Aware. It knows the connection is there, but it won’t work. How do I fix this?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Using Windows NT might be part of your problem...

I've used Ad-Aware (v. 6) before, and it has never shut down my computer. Maybe you have a virus..?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

You probably deleted a component that was comprimised by the invading spy ware but that ad-aware recognized as a contaminent. Id recommend just reinstalling necessary components using your system disk. it should be able to notice whats missing. if it doesnt just reinstall the whole shebang.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
You probably deleted a component that was comprimised by the invading spy ware but that ad-aware recognized as a contaminent. Id recommend just reinstalling necessary components using your system disk. it should be able to notice whats missing. if it doesnt just reinstall the whole shebang.
which should just copy over the top of existing bits anyway, so no useless disc space wastage
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #5
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Your system was attacked through a vulnerability in part of the RPCSS. You need to install a patch from Microsoft (most like the one found here--just choose the patch that is compatible with your OS (XP, 2K, NT, etc).

Try recreating your internet account first. I find that sometimes works if name resolution fails when using what seems to be a working account.

When you get access to the net, if you get the "Shutting down in 60 seconds" prompt, try the following: Click on Start > Run. Type "shutdown -a". Click Ok. That might stop the shutdown process.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

From the temporary venting thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Mine's working perfectly well and has never gone down. I love Google.
I know! I've never had a problem until now. I think my computer might be acting up, but gmail is the only website it has a problem with.

I get this error when I try to go to gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I know, they have us hooked.
Yeah, I use google desktop search, and I always search the net with google. Google is even a word now!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I gt the message a lot, it's usually ok after a while. Either that, or I find I'm not connected. And I tried to get into gmail, and it was fine, so... it's probably your connection.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
From the temporary venting thread...

I know! I've never had a problem until now. I think my computer might be acting up, but gmail is the only website it has a problem with.
Strange, you must've upset them. They still like me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Yeah, I use google desktop search, and I always search the net with google. Google is even a word now!
Indeed it is! I'm even part of Google's mission to take over the world, I volunteered and translated a bit of Gmail into Swedish. Perhaps they'll remember that when the planet is finally theirs and make me president or something nice
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Heh heh... That's cool Jon.

But every other website works, just not Gmail! Maybe I did anger the gods of Google...
Quote:
Old 01-15-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
Mercutio

I having general internet problems (and not just with www.gmail.com). We have dial-up through the university (free since my dad is faculty). Every hour to 30 seconds (it really varies), the internet just stops working, even tho the connection is still there. I open up the thingy (whatever) and it always has 1+ error on the receiving end. To fix it I just have to "disconnect" and then redial. This has been happening for the past week or so. Ah yes--mozilla has also screwed up some other unrelated things. And when you go to turn off the comp. it always goes through the "ending program magellan" or something that used to not happen.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Maybe you should run Adaware or SpyBot..?

It can't hurt anyway.
Quote:
Old 02-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #12
Janny
The Blobbit

Erm, Is there a thread for general technical issues that aren't Entmoot or internet related?

I was just curious if anyone else uses Windows Media Player and has downloaded version 10. Does anyone else find that on when playing it occasionally skips? I find it happens even with songs whihc worked nicely in WMP9.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote