Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Styles of Clothing

A thread to discuss various styles of clothing... particularly whatever is current or appears to be new.

I've noticed a certain combination about three times just the past 2-3 days. Now - maybe I only just noticed it because each instance was on a fairly attractive young woman who was walking down the street as I was driving by, but I also thought the color combination was striking and noticed that I saw one after the other...

It was a dark red (just barely 'dark') sleeveless top with black pants. I didn't take note in retrospect, but I expect the shoes were black - even though it's before Labor Day (is that OK - or is it only the inverse that was long considered "wrong" - the white shoes AFTER Labor Day?).

Anyway - I don't know if I'll be a big-time poster in this thread (what - a GUY starting a thread like this!!! ), but I thought I'd comment on this and see what came of it.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

There is a line from a Flemish song that always comes to my mind with such topics and discussions: "De mode loopt in kringetjes, die haalt ons wel weer in. (Fashion goes in circles, it'll eventually catch up with us again.) Which is indeed true as I've found out in the last few years. There are motives and clothes in the stores now that my mother would have worn when she was my age. I somehow find that very amusing.

Last edited by Earniel : 08-13-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I have expressed my astonished curiosity in private before, but now I will put it to everyone:

What type of twisted, sick person decided that little Japanese girls should wear sailor outfits as their school uniform!?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I dont know but Id like to buy him a beer.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Yeah, I want to shake his hand.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

lol - Insidious Rex, Anduril; you guys are too funny!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Yeah, fashion goes in circles, but it seems like in my generation, cliques are more varied and emphsized. So instead of greasers-nerds like in the 50s, or hippies-normal like in the 60s, or disco-rock like in the 70s, or whatever, it's now jocks-punks-geeks-metalheads-preps-gangstas-gays, just off the top of my head and just for males. A style of clothing is offered to each of those groups and they're all widely accepted as cool within their own group. But because it's so varied, there's no more in between. So I in my T shirt and denim shorts am the outcast.

Ah, I was just contemplating this yesterday, how stores cater to so many different types of people today. And then I noticed a trend in a lot of those types: almost everyone in my generation thinks that having social 'issues' is cool. And then I got mad.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
So I in my T shirt and denim shorts am the outcast.
Hehe, denim shorts.
Anyway, being different can be a good thing IMO. I would love to have a really different style to my peers, just to avoid conforming, but my clothes are somewhat similar to what other girls my age wear. However, I only wear clothes I like. That may seem a bit obvious, but what I mean is, I wouldn't wear clothes that are "in" just because they're in fashion. For instance, the whole Ugg boot thing. Eew. Actually, I prefer to stay away from clothes that are too much "in fashion". These are some of the things coming into fashion now as spring approaches. YAY, spring! Horrible windy, cold weather today.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

What!? You just laugh at me?

I know what you mean. I only wear comfortable clothes and things that I think are cool. Last year I got a plaid shirt, with the plan of wearing it over an undershirt, untucked and probably unbuttoned. Then suddenly they became immensely fashionable among punks and whatnot, and I was hesitant to wear it, beacuse I didn't want to conform either and then be mistaken for a punk. That was a shame, because it's really warm and relaxed, and I doubt those punks appreciate that as much as I do, but they wear it because it's cool. Anyway, there are too many different words for "shirt" on that girls' spring fashion page you linked to.

My aunt's making me a tie dye shirt. I'm not sure what to do with that once I get it from her.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 AM   #10
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
So I in my T shirt and denim shorts am the outcast.
Heh. There's this one guy who is always barefoot and in denim shorts at our events. It's hilarious (in terms of contrast to what everyone else--possibly 100 people--is wearing), but cool because he just doesn't care.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:51 AM   #11
katya
Elven Maiden

And then there's me, who didn't realize it was uncool to wear a t-shirt and denim shorts.

Me, when I don't leave the house I wear pajama pants and a t-shirt. When I do (or when someone comes over) I wear blue jeans and a shirt. Whatever shirt. Nothing too interesting. I used to dress up for school though, at the beginning of the year. A skirt and some nice shirt. Nice shoes. I was a teacher aide then so I felt like a secretary. The bottom line is there's no one in this unfashionable town worth impressing anyway. No one really cares.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:19 AM   #12
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:

I know what you mean. I only wear comfortable clothes and things that I think are cool. Last year I got a plaid shirt, with the plan of wearing it over an undershirt, untucked and probably unbuttoned. Then suddenly they became immensely fashionable among punks and whatnot, and I was hesitant to wear it, beacuse I didn't want to conform either and then be mistaken for a punk. That was a shame, because it's really warm and relaxed, and I doubt those punks appreciate that as much as I do, but they wear it because it's cool.
Yeah, it's annoying when something you like wearing becomes too fashionable, then you can't wear it anymore.
You'll just either have to risk being mistaken for a punk (or a try-hard punk and so on), or not wear it at all. See, if you wear it once it goes out of fashion people'll think you're a try-hard who hasn't moved on with the trends. Try in a few years, maybe.
I love how you say "I doubt those punks appreciate that as much as I do". Curse those punks and their lack of appreciation!

Quote:
Anyway, there are too many different words for "shirt" on that girls' spring fashion page you linked to.
Oh, but you have to be precise with how you describe a shirt! We have to know whether it's a cami, polo, singlet, cardigan, boob tube...(there's a billon more). You know, I'd probably just call half of them a 'top' anyway.

Quote:
My aunt's making me a tie dye shirt. I'm not sure what to do with that once I get it from her.
I had fun making one with my friends when in Year 7. No idea where it is now, but it was ...interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
Me, when I don't leave the house I wear pajama pants and a t-shirt.
Go the bummy clothes at home! In winter, I always wear trackie daks and some jumper or other. And an overlarge t-shirt underneath (because I wouldn't wear them in public and it'd be such a waste ), like the NJ one JD got me which is like a huge dress. Very trendy

Last edited by Linaewen : 08-14-2005 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:22 AM   #13
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
And then there's me, who didn't realize it was uncool to wear a t-shirt and denim shorts.
It's only uncool for guys to wear denim shorts. Girls are supposed to.

When they're not wearing cute sailor outfits, that is.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Jeans and t-shirt when leaving the house on weekends. And then a high-collar zip up jersey or some other long sleave zip up top if it's cold. I'm not very complicated. I might wear a fancy, collared shirt if I'm going out for a night on the town, but that rarely happens.

Summer is three-quarter-length pants, t-shirt, and slops. Or maybe cross trainers.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #15
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, I knew you meant for a guy.

Haha I have only one pair of shorts I wear regularly. They're Carhart, go down to my knees, sort of reddish. Very sexy.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:35 AM   #16
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I don't think I even have shorts. o.O Apart from my boardies, which I don't really wear anyway. *Scratches head* I can't believe I don't have shorts...
Old 08-14-2005, 05:38 AM   #17
katya
Elven Maiden

I went to a Red Hacker tournament my brother was playing in. My dad and I were the only people there wearing long pants.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 AM   #18
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Hehe, denim shorts.
Anyway, being different can be a good thing IMO. I would love to have a really different style to my peers, just to avoid conforming, but my clothes are somewhat similar to what other girls my age wear. However, I only wear clothes I like. That may seem a bit obvious, but what I mean is, I wouldn't wear clothes that are "in" just because they're in fashion. For instance, the whole Ugg boot thing. Eew. Actually, I prefer to stay away from clothes that are too much "in fashion". These are some of the things coming into fashion now as spring approaches. YAY, spring! Horrible windy, cold weather today.
The Fluff Mamma is something I would not expect many people to wear, let alone mothers.

I generally tend to wear clothes that I consider to look good together, regardless of whether it is fashionable. Usually I try to color coordinate, with varying degrees of success.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #19
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
lol - Insidious Rex, Anduril; you guys are too funny!

Ah, man! Don't you just love the world!?

Thanks for the pic, Lee.