Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Recommendations

HI!!
I was wondering if there are any Fantasy books, series, etc. that people recommend to me to read. Because I'm bored and need some books to read.
Sorry if there is already a thread like this. If there is, mods, you can close this.
~Siri
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:49 AM   #2
zinnite
Elven Warrior

If you'd like something that's pretty dark, try 'Perdido Street Station' by China Mieville. I just finished it today, and it's easily one of the best and most fulfilling books I've read in years. It's not your typical fantasy novel--imagine a cross between Clive Barker's 'Imajica' and Neal Stephenson's 'Snow Crash' and you get pretty close to the feel of this book. There's also a "sequel" to it, 'The Scar,' which I own but haven't yet read. It sounds really darn good, too.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:06 AM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I recommend "The Lives of Christopher Chant" by Dianna Wynne Jones, and the other books in that series. Very excellent.
I also recommend "The Mists of Avalon", "The Forest House", and "Lady of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:56 AM   #4
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Thanks
I did read the Chrestromanci books, Nurv. I liked them too
-Two Towers extended DVD

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
Old 02-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Re: Recommendations

Quote:
Originally posted by sirigorn
HI!!
I was wondering if there are any Fantasy books, series, etc. that people recommend to me to read. Because I'm bored and need some books to read.
Sorry if there is already a thread like this. If there is, mods, you can close this.
~Siri
You could try and read Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality. An excellent series. Even if it's a mixture of Scifi and Fantasy it's worth a read.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I quite enjoyed Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I didn't...
Old 02-10-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Quote:
You could try and read Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality. An excellent series. Even if it's a mixture of Scifi and Fantasy it's worth a read.
Yeah... There's a lot of books by him in the library. And I mean a LOT!!
Was he the guy who wrote the Shannara books??
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 02-10-2004, 10:05 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

No. Piers Anthony wrote a whole bunch of sci-fi, plus there's a comedic-fantasy series called the Xanth series - which is moderately funny (gets progressively worse in terms of punning as the series progresses, but the first few are excellent.)

Terry Brooks wrote the Shannara books, I think. I'm not sure - haven't bothered reading 'em as they're supposed to be blatant Tolkien rip-offs.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:14 AM   #10
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Yeah, it kind of is. I read one, and didn't like it, and I kinda thought Piers Anthony wrote them, becausae they were near his shelf (Anthony, Brooks, a small fantasy section...you can imagine why I thought that). So I didn't want to read Piers Anthony if he wrote Shannara. It is definatly Tolkien-esque.
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 02-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #11
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i enjoyed roger zelanzy's amber series quite a bit... not quite up to the level of tolkien, but good

stephen donaldson also has two-book series... mirror of her dreams and a man rides through... that's also pretty good and much lighter than the covenant stuff

ursula k. le guin's wizard of earthsea trilogy is also fairly good... as is robert jordan's wheel of time stuff... though the series starts to decline after book six or so and gets progressively more stagnent... at this point, it may be quite a few years before it is actually finished
Old 02-11-2004, 07:06 PM   #12
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

A long time ago I started reading the Earthsea novels, but I didn't like them...
Of course, I also started reading the Hobbit a long time ago and didn't like it, so my interests have changed. maybe I'll try Earthsea again to see if I like it now.
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 02-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #13
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I tried to read A Wizard of Earthsea, but I couldn't get past the first five chapters. It just didn't interest me. The Sword of Shannara was all right, but it didn't interest me enough to read the sequels.

I would recommend Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. The Ender books by Orson Scott Card are very good as well (though they're more science fiction than fantasy). The second book in that series, Speaker for the Dead, is one of the best books I've ever read.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 02-11-2004 at 07:51 PM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:00 PM   #14
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

You guys are great!!! *virtual hugs all around* Thanks so much for these suggestions!! It'll take me a while to get thro all of these!
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 02-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The first Wizard of Earthsea book *is* hard to get into. I really like the ones that come after though in the Quartet.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:36 AM   #16
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

The Song of Albion trilogy, by Stephen R. Lawhead

The Paradise War
The Silver Hand
The last book, The Endless Knot, is quite hard to come by though...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:41 PM   #17
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia

I would recommend Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. The Ender books by Orson Scott Card are very good as well (though they're more science fiction than fantasy). The second book in that series, Speaker for the Dead, is one of the best books I've ever read.
Also the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card. I really like it. It's set in an alternate United States in the 19th century. Interesting perspective and use of historical characters.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #18
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by sirigorn
A long time ago I started reading the Earthsea novels, but I didn't like them...
Of course, I also started reading the Hobbit a long time ago and didn't like it, so my interests have changed. maybe I'll try Earthsea again to see if I like it now.
You didn't like Earthsea

I thought it was great. Though not as good as some I admit.
I'm reading The Gormenghast Trilogy at the moment. That's good. You should give it a go.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #19
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Next to Tolkien's work my favorites are

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (Not for younger readers due to language and strong sexual situations)
I - The Game of Thrones
II - The Clash of Kings
III - A Storm of Swords
IV - A Feast for Crows (Forthcoming)

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams (Actually I like this more then LotR, but not The Sil)
I - The Dragonbone Chair
II - Stone of Farewell
III - To Green Angel Tower (Paperback is in two volumes, hardback is around 1,600 pages)

For more action paced stories

Demonwars by RA Salvatore
I - The Demon Awakes
II - The Demon Spirit
III - The Demon Apostale
IV - Mortals
V - Ascendence
VI - Trancendence
VII - Immortals
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:48 PM   #20
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
Also the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card. I really like it. It's set in an alternate United States in the 19th century. Interesting perspective and use of historical characters.
I really want to read that series, but for some silly reason my library doesn't have the first book! I'll have to fork out my own cash one of these days.

Another reccomendation I have is the Sword of Shadows trilogy by J.V. Jones. The first book is called A Cavern of Black Ice, and I'm currently reading the second book, A Fortress of Grey Ice.