Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2003, 06:43 AM   #1
Alquagarwaen
Sapling

Strider Legolas

I want to know if Legolas is a Eglath or not, can anybody answer me that question? [COLOR=darkblue]
Alquagarwaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:31 AM   #2
Findegil
Elven Warrior

His grandfather Oropher was certanly an Eglath. For his father Thranduil I think that he had seen Menegroth also by his owne eyes. But we did know nothing of Legolas mother. So we can only say that on the side of his male ancestors he was an Eglath.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:37 AM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Moving to the Middle-earth forum

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Hmm? Eglath? Never heard that term; what is it?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 05:16 PM   #5
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

That is a term that many of the Teleri that missed the "boat" to Valinor aplled to themselves, meaning "the Forsaken". Athough to some extant applied to all or most of the Teleri left in Beleriand, it more strongly applied to the Cirdan's people (later called Falathrim) that came to the coast found the island gone, and waited in vain for it to return. They retained this name longer than the Doriathians, of whom Thranduil is numbered. It also appears in the name of Cirdans chief haven, Eglarest, and for some time Beleriand West of the Narog River and Doriath were called Eglador. An older name for the Nenning river also incoporate the word root.

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 01-11-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:15 AM   #6
Alquagarwaen
Sapling

Strider thanks

Thanks for the Data administrated Findegil, I suspected that Legolas was an Egloth becouse he feels nostalgic when he thinks in the sea and becouse he was from the forest.

What does your nick minds? (The mine is a composition between "Alqua" and "Agarwaen")
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gwaimir Windgem: The Egloth was the part of the Teleri that could not go to Valinor, the Umanyar called them (as the Noldor too) Moriquendi (Elves of the darkness).
Old 01-11-2003, 10:38 AM   #7
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Isn't the latent sea-longing common to all Sindarin? "In the hearts of the grey-eleves it slumbered. but once awakened it could not be appeased." Appendix F
Old 01-12-2003, 08:46 PM   #8
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

I hve no idea what your talking about is Legolas a what???

I think this thread shud be about Legolas how hot he is..
Quotes he says in the films/books!!!

NO OFFENSE OR ANYTHING!!!!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:53 PM   #9
Alquagarwaen
Sapling

legolasslvr [edited]

HEY YOU LEGOLASSLVR, IF YOU DO NOT KNOW A **** ABOUT TLOTR, SHUT YOUR **** UP AND DO NOT WRITE OR REPLY ANY [edited] THING, HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF RESPECT FOR THE OTHERS, AND DISSAPEAR OF ARDA MOTHER ****ER!!!!

[That kind of profanity is not allowed on Entmoot, so I have edited this post and deleted your other one. -- Azalea]
Old 01-13-2003, 08:34 AM   #10
Findegil
Elven Warrior

After Eglath is now more applied to the Falathrim than to the Sindar of Doriath, I am inclined to say Legolas wasn't an Eglath.

To get thinks straith:
Oropher was an Elf of Doriath that's sure (see Unfinished Tales).
Were his son Tharnduil was born is not known and also we no nothing of his wife, but I think to build the fortress of the Woodelves in northern Mirkwood so much to the liking of Menegroth it needs Tharnduil to be born in Doriath and eyewittness the Thausand Caves.
Were and when Legoals was born is also unkwon, as is any information about his mother. Some argue that he must be young to fit the picture in the Lord of the Rings, some say otherwise. But no-one had made him ever old enough that he would be born during a time while any Sindar would be called Eglath.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:06 PM   #11
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Wow. Just because someone is ignorant and unappreciative of middle-earth doesn't mean you should just swear at them. Laugh at them-sure, but no need to swear.

Surprising to see such uncivility in entmoot.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:36 PM   #12
Elf Girl
Lurker

Alquagarwaen, what was that about? Just because Legolaslvr!'s post was meaningless and idiotic doesn't mean you should scream at her...
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:44 PM   #13
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I wonder why Tolkien made Legolas' background so scanty? Is it because Legolas is a relatively minor "did the least of all the fellowship" (a good line for annoying fangirls I must admit) or is it one of those leaving us a mystery situations? It seems strange considering that all the Hobbits get their lineages picked over, Gimli gets a family tree, Aragorn and Boromir get long lineages, Gandalf of course is a seperate issue. So that leaves Legolas as the odd one out.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:51 AM   #14
Alquagarwaen
Sapling

Strider

Is not the what she knows or not, it is her posture.
For me, every character of the LOTR is so important as Eru. And when someone takes them so "softly" destroy a work so big as LOTR. Yes, is true, I overact a little, but is very irritant to me.
If is it so wrong, please let HER speak and do not disturb (no offenses)

Respectfully...
Alquagarwaen.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:56 AM   #15
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
I wonder why Tolkien made Legolas' background so scanty? Is it because Legolas is a relatively minor "did the least of all the fellowship" (a good line for annoying fangirls I must admit) or is it one of those leaving us a mystery situations? It seems strange considering that all the Hobbits get their lineages picked over, Gimli gets a family tree, Aragorn and Boromir get long lineages, Gandalf of course is a seperate issue. So that leaves Legolas as the odd one out.
There is some stuff about Oropher and Thranduil in Unfinished Tales. It may be that Tolkien intended to give us more background information, but never got around doing it.

It is very interesting to read this passage from UT about Oropher and his Sindarin folk settling among the Silvan Elves:
Quote:
Oropher had come among them with only a handful of Sindar, and they were soon merged with the Silvan Elves, adopting their language and taking names of SIlvan form and style. This they did deliberately; for they (and other similar adventurers forgotten in the legends or only briefly named) came from Doriath after its ruin, and had no desire to leave Middle-Earth, nor to be merged with the other Sindar of Beleriand, dominated by the Noldorin Exiles for whom the folk of Doriath had no great love. They wished to become Silvan folk and return, as they said, to the simple life natural to the Elves before the invitation of the Valar had disturbed it.
Oropher and his folk wished to preserve life and society as it was before the Great Journey of the Elves. Interesting choice, as opposed to the choice of the Sindar who followed Celeborn and Galadriel.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

I'm sooo sorry Alquagarwaen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just didn't understand the question I haven't even finished the 1'st book yet but ya dont have ta yell at me it hurt's my feelings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: (

I'm very sensitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:49 AM   #17
Heather Wooltoes
Elven Warrior

Hey Alquagarwaen!

Check the profiles before you shoot your dirty little mouth off you little delinquent. Legplasslvr isn't even 12 years old yet.

Of course your just a boy yourself, and I'm old enough to be your mother so YOU"R GROUNDED BOY, GET TO YOUR ROOM TILL YOU LEARN TO PLAY NICE!!!

Don't p*** me off.....I'm running out of places to hide the bodies!
Heather Wooltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:43 AM   #18
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'm 12.

12 year olds have Tolkien minds too!

On to Legolas: I also find it surprising that the Prince of Mirkwood has so little backround, but I would be surprised if he was an Eglath. I never thought of him as that old.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:32 AM   #19
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather Wooltoes
Hey Alquagarwaen!

Check the profiles before you shoot your dirty little mouth off you little delinquent. Legplasslvr isn't even 12 years old yet.

Of course your just a boy yourself, and I'm old enough to be your mother so YOU"R GROUNDED BOY, GET TO YOUR ROOM TILL YOU LEARN TO PLAY NICE!!!
LOL! Well said madam.

At the risk of being flamed, what's the relation between the terms Eglath and Sindar?
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:55 AM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
LOL! Well said madam.

At the risk of being flamed, what's the relation between the terms Eglath and Sindar?
Eglath were those of the Teleri that stayed in Middle-earth because of Elwe, and they gathered around him in Doriath.

The Sindar was the name given to those of the Teleri in Beleriand who did not complete the Great Journey, by the Noldorin Exiles. The original Sindar were the Eglath. Later the Laiquendi and the Nandor who entered Beleriand were often counted among the Sindar

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote