Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-10-2000, 08:16 PM   #1
anduin

Let's rent a movie........

I do not watch many movies, but on occasion, I like to rent them. There are many great movies out there I know, but I never know what to rent. I talk of keeping a list of movies to refer to whenever the urge hits to rent, but haven't started one yet. So, I am asking if anyone would like to list their favorite movies that are available on VHS, maybe with a short description, actors, director, whatever, to help me and anyone else who wonders what should they watch next. I thank anyone who would be so kind as to participate.
Old 09-10-2000, 10:15 PM   #2
IronParrot

Re: Let's rent a movie........

Ooh, I can think of lots.

Any particular faves in terms of genre or directors or whatnot?
Old 09-11-2000, 02:08 AM   #3
Film Hobbit

If you are looking for a new release that is something out of the ordinary, give Drowning Moana a try. Its a very odd little dark comedy starring among others Danny Devito and Bette Midler. Good rental, and very quirky.
Old 09-12-2000, 04:18 AM   #4
anduin

Thanks film hobbit, I appreciate the response, sounds good! Do you have any old faves too? I haven't rented or gone to too many movies, so there are a lot of movies that I have never seen.

IP.....generally I like movies that are entertaining. Mostly comedy, those that are light hearted, some suspense....especially those that are a bit scary, classics, sci-fi that isn't cheesy, some drama...those that aren't sappy, and period films (Elizabeth, Rob Roy, Three Musketeers) I don't like gory movies or those that are filled with violence (Natural Born Killers, Pulp Fiction, A Clockwork Orange)......great films I know, but not my speed. I like films that make me think, and hate those that make me think...what the?? I hate ****py endings! (Can't think of any off the top of my head). As for directors, I like Scoreses (sp?)....Godfather for some reason doesn't fit into the violence category for me......Burton. Hmmm...don't really pay that much attention to who directs. I am looking for those movies that I have somehow missed, those that are must sees.
Old 09-12-2000, 06:21 PM   #5
Film Hobbit

Old rentals? Ok, you asked for it, here is a list of must sees. most are well known, but if you haven't seen them you are sorely missing out.:

COMEDY:
The Princess Bride
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Strange Brew
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Noises Off

Sci Fi:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
2001 & 2010
Dark City
Back To The Future Pt 1,2, & 3
12 Monkeys
Tron
The Black Hole (kinda cheesy, but interesting)

OTHER:
Jean de Florrete (French w/ subtitles, but MUST SEE)
Mannon of the Springs (sequel to Jen de Florrete)

That's a good start Any sound good?
Old 09-13-2000, 02:32 AM   #6
anduin

Did I mention that I am particular?

COMEDY:
The Princess Bride....seen it&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Monty Python and The Holy Grail......don't like MP....I know, there is something wrong with me
Strange Brew.....seen it
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me......seen it
Noises Off.....heard of it, I know of the play, didn't know it was a movie too.

Sci Fi:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan....seen it
2001 & 2010....seen the first, should see the second.
Dark City.....never heard of it, what's it about??
Back To The Future Pt 1,2, & 3......seen them, well maybe not the third one, is it really all that good?
12 Monkeys....seen it.
Tron.....forgot about it.
The Black Hole (kinda cheesy, but interesting).....forgot about this one two. I'll have to see them then.

OTHER:
Jean de Florrete (French w/ subtitles, but MUST SEE)......ahh, haven't seen too many foreign films.....well at least it isn't overdubbed.
Mannon of the Springs (sequel to Jen de Florrete).......see above.

Thank you, nice list. Do you have anything more?
Old 09-13-2000, 02:53 AM   #7
Jochen Deyke

Also French w/ subtitles: A Pure Formality. Don't know how well known that one is, but it certainly makes ya think.

--
http://jdeyke.tripod.com/name0.gif
Old 09-13-2000, 05:06 AM   #8
juntel

"A Pure Formality"... yeah, a good one. It was filmed in french, but it's actually an italian film (or French-Italy combination); with Depardieu, but also notably with Roman Polanski.)

My little list for anduin (for now):

-Inherit The Wind (b&w version with Spencer Tracy)

-All The Kings Men (b&w version)

-Mr Smith Goes to Washington (d. by F.Capra, with Jimmy Stewart)

-Citizen Kane (because)

-The Elephant Man (very good; with Hopkins, J.Hurt, J.Gielgud, directed by D.Lynch)

-Fearless (directed by P.Weir, with J.Bridges and Isaaaaabelllla Rosselini)

-Doctor Zhivago (esp. the widescreen restored version; d. by D.Lean)

-Reds (acted and directed by W.Beatty, with D.Keaton and J.Nicholson)

-Being There (with the late P.Sellars)

I'll be back... for more, if need be.
Old 09-13-2000, 12:45 PM   #9
Film Hobbit

oh and we can't forget our Hitch@#%$!

Go rent Rear Window and Vertigo... they are GREAT.

And I notice you said you haven't seen Dark City, then it is a MUST see. It came out a couple of years ago, but for some reason didn't do well at the theatre. Its a Sci Fi movie, I'd compare it to something like the Matrix, but as much as I like the Matrix, Dark City is ten times better than even that. By far the BEST Sci Fi movie to come out in many many years. And not just for the story either, the effects are stunning as well. If you like Sci Fi at all, you MUST see this one.
Old 09-13-2000, 07:07 PM   #10
juntel

Alfred Hitch@#%$.
Hitch@#%$.

Now now now... why does his name turn out so garbled...
I guess the ezboard automatic censor can't distinguish between a "dirty" word, a rooster, and the name of a famous film director...
Old 09-13-2000, 10:45 PM   #11
anduin

-Inherit The Wind (b&w version with Spencer Tracy)......hmmm, haven't seen it, yet

-All The Kings Men (b&w version).....once again.....

-Mr Smith Goes to Washington (d. by F.Capra, with Jimmy Stewart).....nope

-Citizen Kane (because)......excellent!

-The Elephant Man (very good; with Hopkins, J.Hurt, J.Gielgud, directed by D.Lynch).....ahh, when did that one come out??

-Fearless (directed by P.Weir, with J.Bridges and Isaaaaabelllla Rosselini)....never even heard of it, what's it about??

-Doctor Zhivago (esp. the widescreen restored version; d. by D.Lean)......haven't seen it, who is in it, when was it made?

-Reds (acted and directed by W.Beatty, with D.Keaton and J.Nicholson).....excellent, but it has been so long since I last saw it I should probably see it again.

-Being There (with the late P.Sellars)....Peter Sellars is dead??? Man, where have I been? I should have to see this one.

Juntel, thank you for your list!

JD, what is your suggestion about??

LOL, AMC showed the restored widescreen version last night of Vertigo. Great movie! Speaking of Hitchc o c k and Stewart, Rope is a must see! It was filmed in one take and the scene never breaks. The only time they broke the film was to reload and then they moved the camera behind someones back, so to block the entire screen. Excellent movie....will certainly make your heart race with each agonizing minute!

Keep 'em coming guys!
Old 09-14-2000, 03:25 AM   #12
IronParrot

anduin, you should see Doctor Zhivago. Directed by David Lean, stars Julie Christie, Omar Sharif and Alec Guinness (may he rest in peace), based on the novel by Boris Pasternak (which I haven't read but will). It's a Russian Revolution-era romance epic... it's wonderful...

Oh, and do you like musicals?
Old 09-14-2000, 03:52 AM   #13
juntel

Firstly, about Rope... excellent indeed!
But it seems I did notice at one point a break, a sudden change of camera angle that had nothing to do with changing the reel. But it was in a french translation, and it *may* be due to a unfaithfull cut (but that would surprise me).
I'll have to see it again and be attentive.

-Elephant Man came out in the 80s; was nominated for an Oscar for best movie, but lost. Filmed in B&W. A tear-jerker.

-Fearless is about a man who survives a plane crash (among many other survivors), and sees his view of life changed. He tries also to comfort another surviver, a lady who lost a young child in the plane while she was holding him (lady played by Rosy Perez).
Part of the movie to be noted: the flash-back scene at the end, accompanied by part of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony (amazing piece of music, to be heard by itself).

-Zhivago: filmed in the 60s with a grandeur like D.Lean knows how to give a movie (like Lawr.of Arabia also). Starring Omar Shariff, Julie Christie, Alec Guiness, Rod Steiger and Geraldine Chaplin.

Other movies:

-Jesus-Christ Superstar; amazing songs and decor, filmed by Norman Jewison.

-West Side Story; who doesn't know about that one. To see again and again.

-Singing in the Rain; is on TV at least once a year, and i see it at least once a year.

-Blue; a movie by late director Kievlovski, filmed in french. Quite sad and beautiful. Music is an integral part of that movie. Stars Juliette Binoche.

-English Patient; I guess that movie is already well-known.

-Lorenzo's Oil. Another tear-jerker. Barber's Adagio was almost over-used here, but only almost.
With Suuuuusan Saaaarandon, Nick Nolte and Peter Ustinov. Good to see with someone you love.

-Lilies of the Field; beautiful and funny b&w movie of the late 60s(?), with Sidney Poitier building a church for immigrant german nuns.

-Twelve Angry Men; late 50s(?), filmed by Sidney Lumet, with Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, and many other well-known faces. Based on an incredible play. Minimalist in the decor, so the psychology of the characters sweat out. Excellent, not to miss.

That's it again for now... more if ask of.
I'd like to see other's choices...
Old 09-14-2000, 05:48 PM   #14
Fat middle

Some that come to my mind:

-"The Miserables", based on Hugo's novel. With Qui Gon Jinn

-"A Midwinter's Tale", directed by Keneth Branagh. Very good comedy.

-"Blade Runner". That's obvious.

-"Excalibur". Perhaps not your type of film.

-"Oliver", if you like musicals.
Old 09-14-2000, 10:29 PM   #15
anduin

IP, thanks for the info about DZ.....my mom loved the book and the movie, but I never gave it much thought....maybe now I will.

Umm musicals?? No, not really. Sound of Music would be the exception. Jesus Christ Superstar....loved the play, but haven't seen the movie. Speaking of Jesus, a great movie is The Last Temptation of Christ. Peter Gabriel did the soundtrack, and it by itself is wonderful! I highly recommend both. Singing in the Rain has come highly recommended by IP for as long as I have "known" him....so I think that I will probably see that one sooner than later.

-"The Miserables", based on Hugo's novel. With Qui Gon Jinn..... loved, loved, loved this movie!

-"A Midwinter's Tale", directed by Keneth Branagh. Very good comedy..... ooh, what's this one about??

-"Blade Runner". That's obvious...... you can say that again. BTW, have you seen the director's cut, and if so, do you like it better, worse, or the same as the original??

-"Excalibur". Perhaps not your type of film..... Are you kidding?? I loved this one too! FYI, Liam Neeson has a small role in this one.....his first picture I believe.

-"Oliver", if you like musicals....... ummm.....

Man, you all are doing a great job....thank you so much.....more, more, more!!

Thought I would add some....can't let you all do all of the work.

- Harold and Maude.....my favorite movie. Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon. Soundtrack by Cat Stevens.

The Jerk and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels....both with Steve Martin. Too funny for words, IMO!

Reffer Madness.....1930's cult classic about the "dangers" of marijuana. "With a little toke, average teenagers become addicts turning into psycho killers and brazen hussies." (note: I am not advocating the use of marijuana. )

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.....who hasn't seen this one??

South Park...Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (or something like that).....I am not a fan, but this movie was too funny!
Old 09-15-2000, 02:08 PM   #16
Shanamir Duntak

Pulp fiction, Young guns 2 (Really good movie)

Forest Gump, The crow, Lost highway

And of course, Braveheart!
Old 09-15-2000, 05:21 PM   #17
Film Hobbit

The 5th Element
Any Errol Flynn Pirate movie
Old 09-15-2000, 09:34 PM   #18
Fat middle

Yes, Liam Neeson plays Sir Gawain in Excalibur.

Haven't seen the director's cut Blade Runner yet. I'm planning to see it soon on DVD. I'm sure i'll prefer the new version because i've heard the speaker has been erased.

"A Midwinter's Tale" is also known as "In the Bleak Midwinter". It's about a company of only six actors (very weird actors all of them) who are preparing a performance of Hamlet with very poor means.
Old 09-16-2000, 03:17 AM   #19
IronParrot

Here's my list of...

Sweeping, grandiose epics with catchy, memorable themes in the score:

Braveheart
Gone With The Wind
Spartacus
Gladiator
Lawrence of Arabia
Doctor Zhivago
Ben-Hur
Saving Private Ryan
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The Patriot
All the Star Wars movies... which you already love, anduin...

I recommend all of these to different extents. I'm a sucker for epics.
Old 09-16-2000, 03:24 AM   #20
juntel

And in that list, why not include Once Upon A Time In the West
Another good one from Sergio.