Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-24-1999, 04:08 AM   #1
anduin

Led Zepplin

I believe that it is common knowledge that Led Zepplin was influenced by Tolkien. But in case it is not, I thought I would post an example. Ramble On Leaves are falling all around; Its time I be on my way. Thanks to you I'm much obliged For such a pleasant stay But now its time for me to go; The autumn moon lights my way. But now I smell the rain and with it pain And its heading my way. Mine's a tale that can't be told. My freedom I hold dear. How years ago in days of old When magic filled the air. "Twas in the Darkest depths of Mordor I met a girl so fair, But Gollum and the Evil One Crept up and slipped away with her." Now accepting comments... :P
Old 11-24-1999, 04:15 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: Led Zepplin

Cool I think there's a page dedicated to the similarities somewhere on the web... Actually I don't really know what Led Zepplin is other than the fact that it's obviously a band of some sort
Old 11-24-1999, 04:32 AM   #3
anduin

Yeah there is....I copied the text from there But I've known about that song for awhile...I dated (long ago) a Tolkien/Zep fan. <a href= http://www.auburn.edu/~speedhe/allusions.html>Here's the link </a>
Old 11-24-1999, 05:12 AM   #4
Loopy

D@mn, I'm glad I got online today! I'm a huge ZepHead. It is actually because of Zep -- Misty Mountain Hop, specifically -- that I started reading Tolkien in the first place. A friend told me that the lyrics of MMH were supposedly one big reference to The Hobbit. She couldn't vouch for that, because she only knew because her ex-boyfriend was a Tolkien/Zep fan. But I had to read it and see for myself! So Misty Mountain Hop is my favorite of all Led Zeppelin's Tolkien references (Battle of Evermore a close second), though I won't analyze the song here. I wouldn't want to bore everyone with a reeealy long post I hear Styx songs are laced with Tolkien references too. But I don't really listen to them so I don't know much about it.
Old 11-24-1999, 01:39 PM   #5
anduin

Misty Mountain Hop and Battle of the Evermore are two of my favorite Led Zep songs....actually LZ IV is my favorite LZ album!!! BTW, I wouldn't be bored if you analyzed Led Zep's Tolkien references....that's why I posted this topic. Use the link above to cut and paste the lyrics if you want.
Old 11-24-1999, 09:15 PM   #6
Darth Tater

I was wondering when someone would start this thread. Analyze away.
Old 11-24-1999, 09:43 PM   #7
anduin

Actually, Tater, I can't believe it took me this long
Old 11-24-1999, 09:48 PM   #8
Loopy

Misty Mountain Hop!

The title is an obvious reference As for the rest of the song: Just in case anyone didn't already know, the lyrics (which I pick apart below) supposedly parallel the first chapter of The Hobbit. Walkin' in the park just the other day, Baby, What do you, what do you think I saw? Bilbo is relaxing at home in the peaceful Shire when suddenly... Crowds of people sittin' on the grass with flowers in their hair said, "Hey, Boy, do you wanna score?" The Dwarves come through the grassy Shire in their brightly colored hats (hence flowers in their hair) with plans for an adventure in which Bilbo will, as we know, score big. And you know how it is; I really don't know what time it was, woh, oh, So I asked them if I could stay awhile. So Bilbo asks them in and they stay awhile I didn't notice but it had got very dark and I was really, Really out of my mind. It is getting late and all this talk of adventure has stressed poor Bilbo out Just then a policeman stepped up to me and asked us said, "Please, hey, would we care to all get in line, Get in line." Well you know, They asked us to stay for tea and have some fun, Oh, oh, he said that his friends would all drop by, ooh. This part is tricky. The Dwarves don't think Bilbo is up to the adventure but Gandalf insists that he go (Does anyone else have a better interpretation for that part?) Why don't you take a good look at yourself and describe what you see, And Baby, Baby, Baby, do you like it? There you sit, sitting spare like a book on a shelf rustin' Ah, not trying to fight it. You really don't care if they're coming, oh, oh, I know that it's all a state of mind, ooh. Bilbo, who has spent his life sitting spare like a book on a shelf rustin' , is not sure of himself, and furthermore is feeling a bit peevish. But he must now look inside himself and decide whether or not he will fly off without his hat the next morning If you go down in the streets today, Baby, you better, You better open your eyes. Folk down there really don't care, really don't care, don't care, really don't Which, which way the pressure lies, He knows it will be a tough journey, but he is determined to prove his worth So I've decided what I'm gonna do now. So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains Where the spirits go now, Over the hills where the spirits fly, ooh. I really don't know. And the last part speaks for itself
Old 11-24-1999, 11:03 PM   #9
anduin

Where's that ICQ number you promised?
Old 11-25-1999, 12:36 AM   #10
Loopy

Re: ICQ

It's in my profile now. I just got home 10 minutes ago.
Old 11-25-1999, 04:06 AM   #11
anduin

To quote bmilder...Loopy's the best at this so far

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 8*)
Old 12-08-1999, 11:15 PM   #12
Loopy

Re: To quote bmilder...Loopy's the best at this so far

I heard "Over the Hills and Far Away" on the radio yesterday
Old 02-07-2000, 10:35 AM   #13
Pharazir

Led Zep

Tolkien wrote a 9-verse poem called 'Over Old Hills and Far Away' Its in The Lost Tales. I've tried to match the lyrics to the Zep song, but it doesn't really work!.
Old 02-19-2000, 12:10 PM   #14
Rumble

Ever heard of the Austrian band Summoning? They litterally combine Tolkien's verses for their lyrics. Here's a part from the song 'Khazad-Dum'

From ashes a fire be woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed shall the blade that was broken
the crownless shall again be king
The world is grey, the mountains old
the forge's fire is ashen cold
no harp is wrung, no hammer falls
the darkness dwells in Durin's halls
the shadow lies upon his tomb
but still the sunken stars appear
in dark and windless mirrormere
there lies his crown in waters deep
'till Durin wakes again from sleep
a deadly sword, a healing hand
a trumpet voice, a burning brand
a lord of wisdom

It goes on, adding a few more lines and verses from other parts of the book. I would highly reccomend giving the band a listen if you ever come across one of their cd's. It's highly atmosperic music and IMO truly captures the spirit of Tolkien's works.
Old 02-19-2000, 12:35 PM   #15
juntel

Have you ever tried to read LoftheRings backwards?
You will then see the true meaning of Tolkien's world!
:rollin:
Old 02-19-2000, 03:42 PM   #16
anduin

Welcome Rumble, to the fantastic world of Entmoot!

You are from the Netherlands? Which city? I am going to Amsterdam in June for my honeymoon

BTW, that band sounds pretty cool! :8
Old 02-20-2000, 03:15 PM   #17
Rumble

I live near Rotterdam.
Amsterdam for your Honeymoon????? That's one I haven't heard before
Old 02-20-2000, 04:33 PM   #18
anduin

Well, I was never know for doing conventional things.
Old 02-22-2000, 03:33 AM   #19
Elanor

That is nifty. I used to live in Nijmegen.
Old 03-14-2000, 09:41 AM   #20
sparksterboy

Im listening to Zepplin now, I didnt realise I was evening doing it until I read the title of this thread, oh well.