Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2002, 03:03 PM   #1
queen galadriel
Sapling

Location: Gladriel's palace in Valinor/Cate Blanchett's house in Sydney
Celebrian and Galadriel

I would like to ask some questions about Galadriel and her daughter.Were they close,was Galadriel an affectionate mother,what was Celebrian like(not physically)?Thnx for any post!!!
Alaan
Sean Russell
The one kingdom
queen galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:10 AM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I doubt if there exist descriptions of Celebrian's personality or the relationship between her and her mother in Tolkien's writings. LoTR says she departed to the West because she lost all joy of ME after being captured and wounded by the orcs, and the UT tells briefly about her first meeting with Elrond. None of these passages says anything about how she was.

Still, she must have been a nice person for Elrond to marry her.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:43 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Celebrian and Galadriel

Quote:
Originally posted by queen galadriel
I would like to ask some questions about Galadriel and her daughter.Were they close,was Galadriel an affectionate mother,what was Celebrian like(not physically)?Thnx for any post!!!
Wecome to the forum Queen galadriel.

Celebrain doesn't seem to be a character that there is a lot of info on, she married Elrond, bore him three children, and was captured and tortured by the Orcs and returned to Valinor.

As for the kind of mother Galadriel was, well, "Laws and Customes of the Eldar" states that the family unit was the most precious to the Elves they valued and loved their children above all else.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 05:26 PM   #4
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

I think Celebrian was very beautiful, because Arwen was her daughter, and when Aragorn was talking with Galadriel in FotR he said something like, 'from whom Arwen Evenstar and Celebrian the fair were sprung.'
It is interesting what you said about families with Elves, Sister Golden Hair. I suppose Elrond was very concerned about Arwen, and her brothers were very loyal to her too. Yet you don't know very much about the familes of some other Elves, like, say, Glorfindel and Legolas.

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
galadriel
Elven Warrior

You can infer stuff from the minor details. For instance, the fact that Celebrian insisted on travelling to see her mother during a relatively dangerous time says something about her strength of will. It also indicates a close relationship with Galadriel.

They obviously all had very close family ties. It must have been very difficult for Elrond and the kids to see Celebrian leave.

The beginning of Elrond's and Celebrian's relationship must have been soooo romantic. Think about it: Elrond, falling in love with Celebrian but not saying anything (probably because it was a time of war) for hundreds of years. Sure, time flies when you're an elf, but a lovesick elf might see things differently. Also, Elrond isn't exactly portrayed as being a sappy, sentimental guy. He's more of the logical warrior type. He'd probably be endearingly awkward in a courtship.

Yes, I am a romantic gook. And can you tell that I like Elrond?

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:13 PM   #6
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

It donsen't say much about Galadriel and Celebrian's relationship, but I'd guess Galadriel liked her a lot, or she hated her a little.
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

Actually, my first impressions have always been that the marriage between Elrond and Celebrian was a political maneuver to unite the two Elven realms, and that there was really only a weak love between them.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:54 PM   #8
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

I think the background of celebrian will always remain a mystery if tolkien were stuill alive today he might have included her a bit more.

well it would be good if there was something to go on?

Quote:
Never laugh at live dragons!!!
zavron
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote