Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2004, 01:35 AM   #1
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Evil without Melkor

If Melkor had not been evil, would evil have existed in Tolkien's world? Melkor (or one of his agents) was at the heart of just about every bad thing in history, but it also seemed that weakness, jealousy, and other flaws were present independent of him. What do you think?
Old 01-10-2004, 01:36 AM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

If melkor had not turned evil, then evil would not have existed in Ea unless or until someone else spontaneously turned evil.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
If melkor had not turned evil, then evil would not have existed in Ea unless or until someone else spontaneously turned evil.
Though the proper question would be, did they "spontaneously turn evil" or was that what Ilúvatar meant to happen?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Ilúvatar gave all his creations free will, so it was his own choice to become evil. Eru probably knew about it, but I think he did not stop it because then he would have to remove Melkor's free will (or lock him up).
Old 01-10-2004, 05:37 PM   #5
Aden
Elven Warrior

the existence of evil is inevitable. Good and evil are important for the maintenance of balance in any world. Otherwise how can you define good if there's no evil. So I believe that if hadn't turned evil someone else would.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 04:05 AM   #6
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I tend to agree with Aden. Jealousy and pride seem prevalent in some of the Eldar. Greed and lust for power exist in Men. Melkor took advantage of these flaws to serve his purposes, but even without him, I think they would have led to evil.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #7
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Evil is Melkor. No one else is powerful enough to do it.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
There is always someone who wants to "do his own thing".
But the thought Iluvatar had of ME was that everyone should help in the making of it, thus no one could "be a loner" because that would have been evil in the eyes of Iluvatar.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:27 PM   #9
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
But the thought Iluvatar had of ME was that everyone should help in the making of it, thus no one could "be a loner" because that would have been evil in the eyes of Iluvatar.
Perhaps, but that would seem to imply that Iluvatar didn't hold free will in high regard. If that were the case, would he have given the Valar (and his other creations) the ability to make their own choices?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:41 AM   #10
Ruinel
Banned

'Evil' and 'Good' are like the poles of a magnet. They define opposites. No matter how small you cut a magnet, it will always have opposite poles, North and South. Likewise, no matter how you try to eliminate Evil, there will always be someone who is less Good than other people, defining the opposite of Good, therefore, Evil.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:50 AM   #11
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Melkor was indeed "a loner". He went unto the void and was away from his the other Ainur and Ilúvatar, and therefore he became estranged from them.
Quote:
To Melkor among the Ainur had been given the greatest gifts of power and knowledge, and he had a share in all the gifts of his brethren. He had gone often alone into the void places seeking the Imperishable Flame; for desire grew hot within him to bring into Being things of his own, and it seemed to him that Ilúvatar took no thought for the Void, and he was impatient of its emptiness. Yet he found not the Fire, for it is with Ilúvatar. But being alone he had begun to conceive thoughts of his own unlike those of his brethren.
IMO Melkor was not evil from the beginning, but he had a desire to be greater than he was, and he fell pursuing that aim.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:25 AM   #12
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Melkor was indeed "a loner". He went unto the void and was away from his the other Ainur and Ilúvatar, and therefore he became estranged from them. IMO Melkor was not evil from the beginning, but he had a desire to be greater than he was, and he fell pursuing that aim.
But in him having that desire do you then think that Ilúvatar had decided that Evil had to exist?

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-15-2004 at 05:28 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:34 AM   #13
Artanis

Quote:
But in him having that desire do you then think that Ilúvatar had decided that Evil (selfindulgence) had to exist?
That's the big question, isn't it? Ilúvatar gave all the Ainur free will. I think in doing that he at least allowed for evil to exist.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #14
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i think there is always the assumption that a creator is "good" and one of his creations becomes "evil"... i have always imagined a creator to be a more "neutral"

from the music of the ainur:

Quote:
Then Iluvatar spoke, and he said: ‘Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not it uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.’
Quote:
(Iluvatar) ‘Behold your Music! This is your minstrelsy; and each of you shall find contained herein, amid the design that I set before you, all those things which it may seem that he himself devised or added. And thou, Melkor, wilt discover all the secret thoughts of thy mind, and wilt perceive that they are but a part of the whole and tributary to its glory.’
to me the essence of free will is being able to do whatever you like... and learning through time and experience what is "good" for yourself and those around you, and what is "evil"... i don't know if you can qualify free will, but in some ways i see melkor as the "most free", whereas the other valar seemed more bound to fate and specific roles within arda (as did all the children save men)

though i doubt this was tolkien's intention... i almost like to think that iluvatar's final statement above is a prophecy that one day even melkor will realize his mistakes and see the path to true glory... and this will be a fulfillment of the purpose of arda, the moral development of a truely free soul that is not just a part of the creator, but the sum of all the creator's parts

Quote:
To Melkor among the Ainur had been given the greatest gifts of power and knowledge, and he had a share in all the gifts of his brethren.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #15
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
... i don't know if you can qualify free will, but in some ways i see melkor as the "most free", whereas the other valar seemed more bound to fate and specific roles within arda (as did all the children save men)
I like your thoughts, but this particular thing doesn't ring true with me, I would say that if the Ainur were bound to fate even from the beginning of their being, before the music that is, then Melkor was so too, but his role was to be the 'corruptor', the 'evil' one. But I don't think the Ainur were bound to fate, only most of them chose to stay tuned with Ilúvatar, and they chose to make music in harmony with the themes which Ilúvatar proposed to them. Later some of htem chose to descend into Arda and become bound to its fate.

Last edited by Artanis : 01-15-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:04 PM   #16
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Ruinel
" 'Evil' and 'Good' are like the poles of a magnet. They define opposites. No matter how small you cut a magnet, it will always have opposite poles, North and South. Likewise, no matter how you try to eliminate Evil, there will always be someone who is less Good than other people, defining the opposite of Good, therefore, Evil."
In my story I do not deal in Absolute Evil. I do not think there is such a thing, since that is Zero. I do not think that at any rate any 'rational being' is wholly evil. Satan fell. In my myth Morgoth fell before Creation of the physical world. In my story [LOTR] Sauron represents as near an approach to the wholly evil will as possible.
And a bit of a different view from Brownjenkins
"i think there is always the assumption that a creator is "good" and one of his creations becomes "evil"... i have always imagined a creator to be a more "neutral"
I see more Iluvatar permitting free will evil acts but always acting so as to eventually turn them into an eventual good result while still allowing free will and a short to medium run evil result of free will. Speculatively, a Sauron victory in the War of the Ring might have resulted in a long period of darkness in Middle-earth but eventual "rescue" of Middle-earth. (Gandalf to Denethor: "And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair and flower again in days to come)."

On another point, the Ainur seem to exhibit considerable free will and fallibility. Witness their (probable) error in bringing the Elder to Aman.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 01-15-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #17
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

But of course, it's been well established that what an author says doesn't matter in relation to his world, so that doesn't mean anything.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #18
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

you are absolutely correct tuor... tolkien's christian beliefs are apparent throughout his work... and he would probably agree with your assessments

but like all the best creation mythologies... including that of the bible or the rig veda... it is interesting to philosophize upon angles that the author(s) might not have intended to get across

yes it does matter very much wayfarer... there are just two ways to look at a great myth... what did the author intend to say? or, what meaning did you get from the book?

sometimes these things are the same and sometimes they are not... and different people can pick up different meanings... which is the definition of a truly timeless story
Old 01-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #19
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by brownjenkins
yes it does matter very much wayfarer... there are just two ways to look at a great myth... what did the author intend to say? or, what meaning did you get from the book?

sometimes these things are the same and sometimes they are not... and different people can pick up different meanings... which is the definition of a truly timeless story

Yes. I think an author's underlying beliefs and retrospective views of a work should be given some consideration, as should a reader's interpretation. By the by, that may have been part of Tolkien's intention in setting Middle-earth in a clearly pre-Christian world, to not make it as doctrinaire and more open to interpretation then, for example, C. S. Lewis's Narnia is.

Wayfarer makes some good points, but I think sometimes carries a point to extremes, not unlike JerseyDevil's movie opinions.
As C.S. Lewis once observed to Tolkien:
" 'Distinguo, Tollers! Distinguo!' as the other man, similarly wreathed in pipe smoke, made too sweeping an assumption."

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:11 PM   #20
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
[I]I think the the above suggestion, and Aden's
"Good and evil are important for the maintenance of balance in any world. Otherwise how can you define good if there's no evil."

And a bit of a different view from Brownjenkins
"i think there is always the assumption that a creator is "good" and one of his creations becomes "evil"... i have always imagined a creator to be a more "neutral"
I see more Iluvatar permitting free will evil acts but always acting so as to eventually turn them into an eventual good result while still allowing free will and a short to medium run evil result of free will. Speculatively, a Sauron victory in the War of the Ring might have resulted in a long period of darkness in Middle-earth but eventual "rescue" of Middle-earth. (Gandalf to Denethor: "And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair and flower again in days to come)."

On another point, the Ainur seem to exhibit considerable free will and fallibility. Witness their (probable) error in bringing the Elder to Aman.
The point I was trying to make is that North and South on a pole define each other, as Good and Evil do. You say the Evil is an absence of Good. What is South without North? What is Good without Evil? How would we define one without the other?
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote