Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-19-2002, 07:33 AM   #1
elendili
Elven Warrior

loose change

what is it with coppers, there's no use having a purse full of them they aren't real money its like a cent you just can't do anything with them yet all you get in shops is a handful of them each time you just want to buy a Mars Bar.
Loose change should be destroyed and we should live in a society of electronic money
For another thing becasue the coppers/cents make your purse too heavy so you end up just taking your credit card so you pay with money that isn't yours so you end up in debt all due to evil little coppers

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 02:47 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

Here in the US there is a movement to get rid of pennies (one cent denomination) and have every price end in 5 or 0 I guess.

Also, there was a bit of a penny shortage here last year, because people never spend them, they just get them as change, so stores kept getting rolls from the bank and yet none were coming in, so a lot of banks put up signs asking their customers to roll their pennies and bring them in.

This would be a good reason to bring back one cent candy machines!

Oh and speaking of heavy money, the gov also tried AGAIN to intro coin dollars, but that has once again failed miserably for some reason, I gues in part because they can get heavy if you have several in your pocket. But I really liked using pounds when I was in England. I wish the dollar coin would find success here. What they need to do is when they intro it, to change all vending machines to take it and to redo cash drawers so they ahve a space for them.

Last edited by azalea : 06-22-2002 at 02:51 PM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 06:27 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

In NZ they've abolished 1 and 2 cent coins - some years ago in the '80s I think - and our 1 and 2 dollars are in coins. However, we deal mainly with eftpos (electronic funds transfer point of sale), which is similar to a credit card only in draws from your account and you don't have to pay interest. Even our fast food/takeaway food industry uses portable eftpos machines now. Bloody handy when you order take out and don't have any cash....
Old 06-22-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes I wish the fast food places around here would take credit cards/ debit cards (like your eftpos, I guess). Not that I eat at them a lot, it would just make it nice when on long trips, not having to plan ahead how much money you'll spend eating on the road, or worse, having to slow the trip down by having to eat at a restaurant.
We have two dollar bills here but they're a novelty. People don't use them except as gifts or to really confuse cashiers!

So then every price ends in a 5 or 0 there?
Old 06-23-2002, 01:03 AM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
So then every price ends in a 5 or 0 there?
Strangely enough, no. Everything's still $X.99 but it gets wound up or down if you're paying in cash, and charged exact if you're paying via eftpos... Weird I know.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:14 AM   #6
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I still have some Aussie 1 and 2 cent coins somewhere. When you get petrol and pay cash you go 2 cents over so that it gets rounded down! Its strangly satisfying to buy some groceries or something and it comes to an exact dollar amount. Too many coins in my purse is a good excuse to go to the candy machine and get a chocolate bar!
Old 06-23-2002, 02:05 PM   #7
Faramir
Elven Warrior

This is kind of an odd thing to start a thread about....
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 09:37 PM   #8
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Yeah you guys are weirder than I. Loose change is fine. In fact, its cool. I collect coins. They are awesome. And I have plenty of New Zealand and Australian 1 and 2 cent coins (serioulsy, I do). If anything, the U.S. government will most likely try to get rid of paper money BEFORE they try to get rid of any coins. Why? Paper money can rip, you can write on them/deface them. Also, paper money wears out very easily. It takes coins about 30 years to start to wear down (or atleast they design them to be that way) where as it takes about 8 months for a dollar bill to wear down.

coins are freakin cool, what have they ever done to you?

The dollar coins have been mildy succesful in the us. Much more than the Susan B Anthony ones.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 11:59 PM   #9
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Can anyone explain to me the british monetary system? I mean how do pence and shillings and pounds all fit in together? And what the heck's a guinea?

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:01 AM   #10
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Tristan, I have about 48 cents in pennies. You want it? It's been making my wallet way too heavy for months now.

I absolutely hate it when I have a ton of pennies like that because it takes way too much time to count them out to give to a cashier and no vending machines will take them so they end up staying in my wallet forever. Quarters and dimes and a few nickels I can handle, but never a million pennies.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:43 AM   #11
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

hmm I roll and sometimes collect my pennies

Anyway, someone wanted someone to explain the British system of money.

Hey! I'll do that.

The British monetary system is now very similiar to the US monetary system. They changed in the 1960s. 100 pence (singular penny) = 1 pound. All they have now is pence and pounds. Rather boring if you ask me.

Here are their denominations (in coins, no idea what their bill denominations are):
one penny
two pence
five pence
ten pence
twenty pence
fifty pence
one pound
two pounds

1 pound = $1.50

Their old monetary system was the best. They changed it because it was too confusing. 12 pence used to equal one shilling. now there arent any shilling coins. They used to have some cool coins like crowns, florins, shillings, six pence coins, cool brass three pence coins, half penny, farthings, half crowns, double florins,guineas, and I think some more. But it was weird/confusing how one equaled the other, so they changed it.

That was all by memory so go me

edit after further thought (still by memory after some brain racking):
Old British system:
4 Farthings = 1 Penny
12 Pence = 1 Shilling
2 Shillings = 1 Florin
5 Shillings = 1 Crown
20 Shillings = 1 Pound
21 Shillings = 1 Guinea

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:40 AM   #12
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Why? Paper money can rip, you can write on them/deface them. Also, paper money wears out very easily. It takes coins about 30 years to start to wear down (or atleast they design them to be that way) where as it takes about 8 months for a dollar bill to wear down.
Here in Australia we have plastic notes. Even if you try to rip them, you can't. (I have tried).

I try to collect coins. Basically that means if I find an foreign coin, I put it in my collection. Mostly New Zealand coins, though.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:43 AM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia

Here in Australia we have plastic notes. Even if you try to rip them, you can't. (I have tried).
Yup. NZ has adopted plastic money as well... and yes, I've tried ripping it... (I believe we copied you guys. I can't believe I just admitted that! )
Old 06-24-2002, 02:52 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

I collect coins, too, but only unusual ones or ones that have a date that means something to me. I just bought a bag of penny rolls so I could roll all the pennies I have, and it came out to $3.
I have always wondered what some of those old British money terms meant, too, from reading old English novels! I could basically figure out if they were large or small denominations by what was said, but could never figure it out. Thanks!

Oh yeah, I'm also collecting the new quarters as they are released, but I'm missing 2 (I forget which 2).

Last edited by azalea : 06-24-2002 at 02:53 PM.