Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2003, 04:23 PM   #1
gdl96
the greg the admin

Next Big Question...

Now that The Two Towers is all done with, it's time to start thinking about Return of the King. The big question for TTT for a while was how it would start off. Well, how do you think ROTK will start?

My theory is the flashback trend will continue in a way. The camera will travel down the river Anduin for a few moments until we come accross two fishing hobbits, Smeagol and Deagol. This scene was rumored to be in TTT, but because it wasn't, maybe it will be in ROTK (there are pictures of the scene, and Andy Serkis (Gollum) has said in an interview that he will be seen without the CG makeup as Smeagol in a flashback in the third movie). Then we will see the two hobbits fight over the ring, etc. And then I think the movie would go to the present time with Gollum leading Frodo and Sam to Cirith Ungol.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

Ohhhhh, that would be so cool!! Maybe they'll have the flashback at the moment when he almost becomes "good" again when the hobbits are asleep and he's looking at Frodo, and then Sam wakes up and yells at him and *poof* it's Shelob time!

But they will probably start the very beginning w/ a scene that was played out in TTT, as was done at the beginning of TTT. I can't think of which one it will be, though. Or maybe not, since that was really done to show another part of the story that we hadn't seen.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

I think that it would be neat if they showed a scene of Frodo being attacked by Shelob, to get the aduance's attention! And then go back and show how Gollum betrayed the hobbits... They probobly won't though, as that would confuse many many people.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:03 PM   #4
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I would think that they would need to pick up near where they left off but would want to get that "running start" feeling of TTT. I would say that picking up at Isengard with a phased in reprise of the ents destruction to the arrival of the Helm's Deep crew. They still need to pick up M&P and all the next action is new material. It gives them the continuity of plot and action. They would follow with some action scene at Osgiliath and then Frodo et al hiding from the witchking on the stairs to Cirith Ungol., IMO
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I want Flotsam and Jetsam!
Old 01-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #6
claudia silver
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm I want Flotsam and Jetsam!
Me too! But I think, if it's in at all, it will be a quick version, sort of scooping up the hobbits on the way to Isengard. In the book it is a lull between the big action scenes of Helm's Deep and the encounter with Saruman. I dont think PJ will start with a 'lull' somehow.

Maybe the missing Smeagol and Deagol scene will appear in the extended version of the TT, at the part when Gollum remembers his name.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:02 PM   #7
gdl96
the greg the admin

Hmm, maybe it will start off showing the much talked about fate of Saruman. Spiked wheel, anyone?
Old 01-02-2003, 07:11 PM   #8
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Personally, I think PJ will start off with Frodo, Sam and Gollum. The they will walk to Shelob's lair and... the scene will cut to Isengard with Gandalf just arriving. Okay, so this probably won't happen(I'm doubting PJ will leave musch of the scene with Gandalf and Sarumon in it), but I think that'd be pretty cool. Also, who thinks even more wil be cut out from the RotK book? Just think of how much was cut from TTT that they have to put in RotK! I think most people who have read thebooks will be dissapointed with RotK, even more so then TTT.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:12 PM   #9
Millane
The Dude

i think it will start at isengard again because that didnt finish in helms deep and thats the only big thing happening at the moment coz frodo and sam have been let go and are just walking along and helms deep has finished and they are all just riding along but i dont know how that will start... i think it could startwith sam and frodo panning up the stairs at cirith ungol that would work pretty well... undoubtedly the way they opened TT was incredibly awesome and the best opening to a movie that ive ever seen
Old 01-02-2003, 09:14 PM   #10
lacemkr90
Hobbit

The story is in a lull at the end of TTT. It ends just before everyone gathers strength for the battle for Gondor. They could start with the host issuing from Minas Morgul. They way they can go straight to Frodo & company and the stairs. But that doesn't leave much time for the wizards to meet in Isengard. PJ has included so much with Saurman and Gandalf that I would be surprised if he cut that part.
lacemkr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:17 PM   #11
gdl96
the greg the admin

PJ said that TTT deviates from the books the most out of the three movies, so I wouldn't expect it to stray too much from the book, Wallrocker
Old 01-03-2003, 12:29 AM   #12
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

I hadn't heard that. Well, hopefully PJ' going to keep RotK close to the book. Hey, we heard that Scouring of the Shire was going to be left out of RotK, but since Sarumon didn't die in TTT, maybe it will still be in. Anyone know?

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 03:27 AM   #13
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Since PJ and crew think TTT was Tolkien's big screw-up, naturally that one would be the least accurate to the book.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 11:55 AM   #14
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Since PJ and crew think TTT was Tolkien's big screw-up, naturally that one would be the least accurate to the book.
*coughs*
"Screw-up" eh? Gah. Methinks I disagree.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:53 PM   #15
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

His writers see it as a "tangent."
Old 01-03-2003, 02:12 PM   #16
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I think the punishment of Saruman is dramatically necessary, and they have set up the motive of Grima, as discussed in another thread, to do what the book says he will do. So I don't think they're going to build all the way toward that without the retribution, and that can't happen until Gandalf does you know what. So I still hope for Flotsam and Jetsam. and some fine weed out of the South Farthing. Plus, you know, they showed the first fight scene between Gandalf and Saruman... that has to be balanced out with ... well there are a alot of potential spoilers if I keep brainstorming outloud here.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 01-03-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 03:25 PM   #17
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I doubt the context of flotsam and jetsam would survive. It was just a mechanism to recount the trashing of Isengard. I can't imagine PJ starting out with characters eating, smoking, and telling long stories. The recounting of the end of either helm's deep or the seige of isengard are likely since they were left without conclusion (what next, etc.) Frodo will show up after the opening at the crossroads and then have the encouter with the witchking. That will privide enough action to get through to the seige of gondor. I wouldn't be surprised to see a battle thrown in at osgiliath with faramir, either.

Will we see ghan-buri-ghan? the paths of the dead? Will sam and frodo have to pass as orcs? Will sam carry frodo up orodruin?

We know aragorn is king since we've seen his tomb in rath dinen.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 04:34 PM   #18
gdl96
the greg the admin

What about when one of the hobbits (merry or pippen? I forgot) retrieve's Saruman's palantir? You think they'll leave that in?
Old 01-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #19
Elf Girl
Lurker

They'd better!!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 05:13 PM   #20
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Im hoping that they get RoTk right, they messed up quite a bit on TT, changing to many characters personalitys and such but I think RoTK might be better. Im thinking it will start with either Frodo and Sam or Merry and Pippin. Im really wondering how their gonna have the hobbits meet up w/ Gandalf and crew. He might keep it a little how it was in the book (instead of over-dramtizing it like PJ seems to do alot) but the movies both have had a typical movie set up, the begining, the build up, a major climax and a wind down...so who knows, the begining could be peaceful...maybe......I really have no clue, im a moron.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote