Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
Billy Bones
Hobbit

hunting

hi its me billy bones i wanna hear wot u think of hunting. like the gun you have , the things u hunt or wot u dont like about it
Old 08-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

[the poster elicited disapproval of hunting - moderator]

Caution - all posts made in this or any other thread must comply with Entmoot's rules. Please re-read them if you need the refresher.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Valandil : 08-21-2005 at 07:20 PM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:00 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I extremely dislike hunting. For one, I fail to see the need for it in modern society other than an archaic habit that more often than not completely disregard national laws and issues on animal well-being.

I also fail to see the use of breeding animals like pheasants and drop them in the wild just because some trigger happy people want to shoot them out of the sky.

When I think of hunting I think of arrogant people who cowardly poison foxes and birds of prey, even within wild reserves!, because they want to get rid of their competitors. Some of them even shoot cats, whether they are wild or somebody's pet. They're constantly lobby-ing to increase the periods where they can hunt, regardless of breeding- or hatching seasons.

When I think of hunting I think of the absolutely barbaric slaughters on Malta that they call hunting. I'm glad the EU is finally rethinking their stance of allowing it but I'd like to see some more enforcement still.

In Belgium since we have only a small percentage of wild reserves and hardly any natural predators left so populations of prey species like deer can get out of hand. In this sort of cases one must find a way to bring the population back to the numbers the environment can sustain. Often the only way to do that is shooting them. This manner of wild-life control, I can accept but it seems a far cry what modern day hunting practises entail today.

You'll have to forgive me my rather extreme stance on hunting. I'm sure there are hunters out there who have respect for the animals they hunt, but frankly , not in my experience.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

In Zimbabwe, when I was 15, I went for a walk up a hill to marvel at the surrounding landscape. I found some stones, and proceeded to throw them around.

Standing at the top of the slope, I found it more gratifying to roll the stones down the hill, as they built up some good speed, and bounced erratically. Fun!

However, as soon as I had rolled down the biggest stone, I saw a troop of mongese running across the general trajectory of the stone. I hope it doesn't hit one, I thought. Using their average speed, I estimated that the last mongoose would make it just in time.

I was wrong. One of them stopped, and stood up on it's hind legs. Exactly in the path of the rolling stone. Damn, he's gonna get it in the ribs, I thought. Unfortunately, it wasn't so lucky. About two meters from the mongoose, the stone bounced up, ricocheting off it's head. It stood there for about five seconds, and ran off to join the troop.

That is the closest I've ever come to hunting.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bones
hi its me billy bones i wanna hear wot u think of hunting. like the gun you have , the things u hunt or wot u dont like about it

congrats on comingup with a controversial topic judging from your reactions I had better not comment
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i have no desire to ever shoot another living thing unless i absolutely have too

i do enjoy fishing though
Old 08-22-2005, 10:48 AM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

rules, what rules, I didn't know about any rules, where ?

ok, I'll check.

I can't find anything that would prohibit this subject.

Last edited by Spock : 08-22-2005 at 10:55 AM. Reason: read again the rules
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

O.K., Billy Bones, now I've had a day to simmer down - I apologise to you publically for the uncalled-for namecalling and stuff that I threw your way yesterday, but however I still must reassert my passionate stance against the practice of sport-hunting, with deer-control situations like what Earniel mentioned being an only - an ONLY - exception. I find hunting to be stupid and cruel and unnecessary, and unfairr to the animals being hunted, and it makes my heart cry and rage inside when I see defenseless animals being injured without hope, in fact I am almost in tears right now just thinking about it.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gee, if your a vegetarian I can almost understand your being upset L but otherwise many people enjoy stuff like hamburgers, etc. which don't grow on trees.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Gee, if your a vegetarian I can almost understand your being upset L but otherwise many people enjoy stuff like hamburgers, etc. which don't grow on trees.
sustenance and sport are two different things
Old 08-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
sustenance and sport are two different things
Yes, but is it not still slaughter and killing? You do not have to eat beef, pork, chicken, etc, to live.

I have an unformed opinion on hunting. I know many people that deer hunt. I have also heard tell that their deaths by hunting are far more merciful than the starvation that results from over population, particullarly during harsh winters.

Here in Akron, not far from where I live, the deer are plentiful, coming into residential areas and often destroying people's property. They are also a threat to drivers, especially at night. Hunting is prohibited in this area, but the government has a deer kill every year or so here to control the population. The deer meat is distributed to homeless shelters.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #12
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Sounds like a very good system.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Yes, but is it not still slaughter and killing? You do not have to eat beef, pork, chicken, etc, to live.
sure it is... just a different kind... i don't have to eat meat, but i like it... and, contrary to spock's statement i can still disapprove of hunting, or at least some forms of it, even if i enjoy something like deer meat (which i do)

i think it has to be looked at situation by situation... we have deer problems here to, so killing some off is a necessity... excessive deer can lead to disease problems among the population... not to mention human deaths by automobile accident

i also have an uncle who hunts deer and even bear with a bow and arrow, spending hours in the woods camping, tracking, etc... and even putting his life on the line in the process... while it's not something that would get me going, i can see the "sport" in it from the challenge involved, and the risk

on the flip side, i had some friends back where i grew up whose idea of a good time was walking around with their guns and basically shooting anything that moved... birds, squirrels, even house cats... to me this seemed pointless because it is neither necessary, or a real challenge... it seems more like a power trip to me (and a false one at that, since the animal really has no chance)

i think there are some people who hunt "respectfully" and some people who do not... the latter are the ones i disapprove of
Old 08-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
and, contrary to spock's statement i can still disapprove of hunting,
Sorry never said you couldn't disapprove of it.

Quote:
i think there are some people who hunt "respectfully" and some people who do not... the latter are the ones i disapprove of
I agree.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:30 PM   #15
Mercutio

Let me just say that revenue from licenses is a huge chunk of the money fish/game/wildlife commissions get. Without it they couldn't do anything to protect & conserve land, promote outdoor recreation, etc.

At least in the U.S.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:41 PM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Good point. The friends I have that hunt, eat what they kill and give any excess to either family or the local food bank. That's noble in my book.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #17
Mercutio

Most people who hunt for sport eat their kill. Humans are naturally omnivores, so it is quite natural for people to kill animals for consumption. How is predation of wild animals any different than that of domestic?

It's not immoral for a wolf to kill a rabbit, is it?

The animals may be "poor and defenseless," and they never ran after humans with a gun, but since when does a rabbit have legal right to live? In our times, the only legal rights animals have are those laws and regulations governing hunting and humane practices. We do not grant legal rights to life, freedom, and happiness to animals.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #18
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Sorry never said you couldn't disapprove of it.
i should have said, i can understand why L is upset
Old 08-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #19
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Very good points, Mertucio and Brownjenkins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
It's not immoral for a wolf to kill a rabbit, is it?
We would do best not to compare our morals with those of animals. Many sharks eat other sharks. Does that make it moral for humans to eat other humans? Rabbit sexual habits aren't something humans would do well to emulate either .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #20
Mercutio

Yes, the wolf is acting on instinct, whereas humans we can make an informed choice whether to kill.

I think I was going more along the lines of the wolf not violating the rabbit's legal rights and it is completely natural (natural wild life).

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.