Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2001, 12:32 AM   #1
Shanamir Duntak

Most complete list of the changes in the movies

Take a look at that: ARG! (Worth seeing)

If only half of this is true, then dec 19th will be a SAD day. It's the most complete list and it says where every bit of info comes from.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:37 AM   #2
webwizard333

Re: Most complete list of the changes in the movies

If that's true than Entcon will not be that fun during the movies.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:32 AM   #3
bmilder

Of course it will be fun.

Anyway I wouldn't dwell on these changes... I'm sure Peter Jackson knows what he's doing. There are always changes from book to screen. I'm confident LotR will be great.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:21 AM   #4
IronParrot

I've seen that list before.

I decided a long time ago that I'm going to see the movie as a movie independent on the novel.

It's been said many times: it's not made for LOTR fans. It's made by LOTR fans.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:30 AM   #5
IronParrot

The only change I'm really particularly displeased with is the cutting of the Scouring of the Shire, which is something I've complained about for a year or two now. But the directorial decision is probably to focus the story more on the quest to destroy the Ring rather than how the entire War of the Ring affects everyone.

It would be interesting to see how this affects the Mirror of Galadriel sequence, though.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:25 PM   #6
anduin

I found that link quite depressing. I can almost see how this movie is going to turn out....get the feeling of it....and I don't like it one bit. Certainly not the feeling I get from watching the most recent trailer. I am hoping that by taking scenes out of context and analyzing them to death is what is causing my uneasiness.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:03 PM   #7
IronParrot

You can take the movie adaptation of almost any novel, and you would end up with a longer list of changes. (Relative to the size of the novel that is.)
Old 08-03-2001, 02:35 PM   #8
Darth Tater

Hmm, the list has grown since last I checked. What bothers me the most is the apparent abasement of the Gandalf character. I think I'll start a thread about that soon. BTW, Scouring of the Shire is not necessarily cut, though Saruman does die (SPOILERS::::::::: On the spikey wheel.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:36 PM   #9
Shanamir Duntak

Anyway.. I guess you're right IP
The flaming nazgul is what bothers me the most I think... They're dead... they ain't supposed to care about fire damnit.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:04 AM   #10
Darth Tater

LOL, my : and ) turned into a smilly face when there's nothing to be happy about here
Old 08-04-2001, 07:04 PM   #11
Samwise of the shire

SO WHAT? Most of the cons that he had there was "It does not go with Tolkiens original script" NO DUHHHH whatcha espect?Perfect dialogue?Perfection all the way through?I read most of the stupid complaints in a previous list and I laughed and now I am just plain ticked at some of the stupidity that is going on about these little changes.We cant have everything in the movies and there have to have some stuff changed it is just plain stupid to say "just because of these changes it's gonna be a bad movie"Get used to it! IT IS A MOVIE NOT THE BOOK and yes the book is better then the movie and that is why they changed some stuff was so that the book would remain the best book ever written.
The fairly ticked off
Samwise of the shire
Old 08-04-2001, 10:47 PM   #12
bmilder

As I said in the other thread, I agree with you completely, Sam.

Who cares about the minor changes from the books? I want to enjoy the LotR movies for what they are, not criticize every little deviation from the original plot. You know they had to cut things; no one but a die-hard Tolkien fan would sit in the theater for 6 hours a movie as every little subplot and singing break is recorded. They have to alter it to appeal to a wider audience.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:10 AM   #13
IronParrot

When I write my review of Fellowship after I see it, I will probably be basing very little of my evaluation on the faithfulness of the adaptation.

Mostly to keep it consistent with my reviews of all the other films I've seen where I did not read the work they were based on.
Old 08-05-2001, 08:36 PM   #14
Darth Tater

Minor stuff doesn't bother me, but lots of minor stuff does. For example, there's so many terrible small things being done to Gandalf's character I'm affraid it'll destroy the character a as a whole.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:01 PM   #15
hairymonkeyboy

I was also pretty worried about all the stuff they seemed to be changing with Gandalf, but then I reminded myself who was playing the role. My money is on Sir Ian to pull Gandalf off with aplomb. The main problems I'll have are if the scourging of the shire is entirely omitted (but I reckon they'll sort something out, although not nearly as well as the books - obviously) and if legolas slides down the stairs on a shield shooting orcs!
Old 08-06-2001, 04:06 PM   #16
webwizard333

Legolas might as well get a surf board, a swim suit, and got to a beach . I think he does look a little bit like a surfer hmmmmm....
Old 08-07-2001, 12:15 AM   #17
Samwise of the shire

But you have seen Gandalf as he is in the book and you said that the movie will have so much change in them that it would'nt be like LOTR so you should'nt have any problem there. Like Bmilder says just sit back and relax wait until the movie comes out then we shall see what we shall see(and not read)
Sam
Old 08-14-2001, 04:30 PM   #18
ladyisme
Enting

Tom Bombadil

I look at it this way, if the movies are true to the books wonderful, if not then the world can always use three more comedies.

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 06:05 PM   #19
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Lady Isme: Excellent way of looking at it! When I see the movies I'll bear that in mind.
webwizard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 04:00 PM   #20
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

The Scouring of the Shire might still be in there, you know. Ever thought maybe Sandyman or the Sackville-Baggins will take Saruman's place?