Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2001, 09:38 PM   #1
Fat middle

Please, someone refresh my memory

i'm sure i've heard of this before, but i can't recall how long will be the movies. i think that PJ said something about it a long time ago.

the second thing i can't remember is in what point of the history is supposed to finish the first movie. exactly as FOTR? in Lorien? after the fall of Gandalf?

thanks
Old 07-28-2001, 10:28 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: Please, someone refresh my memory

I'd say it would probably be around 2 hours each, minimum.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:31 PM   #3
IronParrot

I think we can look at each one being 130-150 minutes.

Also, Ian McKellan has said that FOTR will end as in FOTR, with Frodo and Sam separating from the others.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:52 PM   #4
Fat middle

i've just seen the Bakshi movie.

it took over 80 minutes to cover that part of the story for Ralph Bakshi.

i think both films may have exactly the same estructure: begining with the last alliance, long expected party, revelation of the One Ring, fast trip to Bree, Prancing Poney, Amon Sul, flight to the ford, Council of Elrond, Caradhras, Moria, Lorien, Anduin, breaking.

Bakshi did absolutly none characters development with all those episodes. i hope that PJ can do something with 50-70 minutes more.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:16 PM   #5
EZ Board Nomad

Although Bakshi's movie wasn't bad per se, it struck me as just an excuse to practice his rotoscoping techniques. I wish he had stuck with the animation style of The Hobbit and The Return of the King.
Old 07-30-2001, 01:35 PM   #6
Darth Tater

Nomad, he didn't make either of those attrocities, his attrocity is seperate all together.

FOTR will end with pushing Boromir down the river or however they decide to pointlessly change his death scene.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:54 PM   #7
webwizard333

Where'd you hear they were changing his death?
Old 07-30-2001, 04:49 PM   #8
Darth Tater

nowhere, but since they're changing everything else...
Old 08-03-2001, 12:22 AM   #9
Samwise of the shire

Darth Tater, you are really pesemistic are'nt you?You assume that because they are changing "everything"(major exaggeration there)that they'll change the death of Boromir.That is really really lame,wait until some news comes out and THEN gripe and complain as much as you want. The only REALLY major change they made was the expantion of Arwen and she does'nt even go with the fellowship(thanks be to goodness),other then that name another really big change seeing as I cant think of any,and who cares if they change "everything" it's only an interpretation of the book,not the real thing.
Sam
Old 08-03-2001, 12:35 AM   #10
Shanamir Duntak

I just posted a link to something on that subject.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:40 PM   #11
Darth Tater

Sam, read the list at Shan's link and then you'll be pessamistic too
Old 08-03-2001, 06:31 PM   #12
Shanamir Duntak

Indeed my friend, INDEED
Old 08-04-2001, 06:25 PM   #13
Samwise of the shire

Uh huh yeah...right.First off You should have posted the web address please do so I can check out what this person says about Gandalf hitting his head on the rafter.But take this into consideration, most of the griping that goes on only focuses on the DETAILS, not the main picture.And not even the big details, complaining about Sam putting up his fists at the Prancing Pony is sooooo idiotic, why not just sit back and enjoy the Movie as a movie and not as the book
Sam
Ps. Could you please tell me where the link is so I can check out this thread or post or whatever it is.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:15 PM   #14
Fat middle

"idiotic", perhaps, is not the word you had in mind, Samwise...

please, behave, and try to be always polite in your responses to other Entmooters. Thanks
Old 08-04-2001, 10:42 PM   #15
bmilder

Personally, I agree with Sam. Who cares about the minor changes? I'm just going to enjoy the movie as its own entity.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:47 PM   #16
Shanamir Duntak

Minor changes does not bother me. It's changes that don't add anything to the plot neither being useful. Gandalf looking like an old crazy paranoiac is not what I expect of the movie. All the other change that are possible, thought not written by Tolkien (i.e. Sam raising fists) do not bother me at all. It's the devious changes I hate.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:40 AM   #17
Samwise of the shire

Sorry Fat Middle, I just read the thing on his thread and I did'nt care wether or not Gandalf is a paranoic or not,but before I had read it I had a few months before read a list like unto that one and frankly at first I was just as mad as you guys, and seeing that every one else is having a cow over Gandalfs new personality kind of made me mad.The book Gandalf is way better then the movie Gandalf but that's the way it is you should just relax over it.
Sam
Old 08-16-2001, 01:47 PM   #18
hiku747
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

the Bakshi movie ends with the battle of helms deep and that's in t2t. i loooooooooooooooooooooooooove that movie, that's how i first got into lotr, when i was 4. then i read the books in 2nd grade. personally i think that the Bakshi animation is WAY better than Rankin and Bass' for the hobbit and return of the king. oh yeah, the fellowship should end before helm's deep, but i am really relieved to know that each movie is only one year apart from each other. i'd cry if it was like star wars with every 3 or 4 years.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:41 PM   #19
thephantomcat
Hobbit

Movie lengths

In case anyone has been here recently. Aint-it-cool-news.com just posted that the finaly cut (meaning the score still needs to be finished as well as all of the other special effects shots) runs a cool 2 hrs and 45 min and is rated PG-13.
thephantomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 03:56 AM   #20
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

well, that's a good new, i'd say.