Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-05-2002, 10:38 PM   #1
Gilrond
Enting

Gandalf Balrogs: How large are they?

Balrogs

Excuse me, but I was wondering on the size of Balrogs.

In the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Tolkien implies that Balrogs are somewhat smaller than trolls, because they fight with Elven lords, such as Fingon.

In the fleeing from Gondolin, Glorfindel battles a Balrog on the peaks, and again this passage implies that the fire-demons are a dozen feet tall or so.

In the film, the Balrog exceeds the size of a cave-troll, but that may be that the demon had grown in power and in size waiting in the Mines.

Please reply? Thanx.
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 11:12 PM   #2
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

sounds bout right as far as im concerned, as far as the movie goes though ur theory sounds good, but there is always the possibility its just for dramatic effect

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 10:02 AM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

The texts you are reading from The Silmarillion are derived from old versions of the Balrogs from The Book of Lost Tales, where they are verily only man-sized and were a cavalry force. The relevent passages in The Bridge of Khazad-dûm in Book II of The Lord of the Rings is the only detailed narrative we have of the later Balrogs.

In this, the Balrog is seen as a vague dark shape within the outer darkness all around it, "of man-shape maybe, yet greater". No other description of it's size is given.

I think the Balrog in the movie was absurdly large.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:50 PM   #4
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Balrogs are Maiar.

Maiar can change their shape, and assume different forms.

Balrogs can change their shape, and assume different forms.

Size depends on shape and form.

Balrogs are as big as they want to be. (supposedly limited by physical restraints loosely woven into a reality based on metaphysical manifestation of a spiritual being)

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 04:13 AM   #5
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by BlackHeart
Balrogs can change their shape, and assume different forms.

Size depends on shape and form.
Balrogs can't change their shape (or their size), but they could've (in the past)...when they wanted to be balrogs they they become to be what they wanted to be, but they stucked in this shape (like Gandalf in LOTR).
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 05:53 PM   #6
Gilrond
Enting

Gandalf

Thank you for your answers!
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:16 PM   #7
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Balrogs can't change their shape (or their size), but they could've (in the past)...when they wanted to be balrogs they they become to be what they wanted to be, but they stucked in this shape (like Gandalf in LOTR).
Actually there's no text to say that Balrogs were "stuck" in a particular shape, unlike Melkor, or Sauron.

Though they were likely limited to shadow and fire as to the form of their manifestation, theres no reason they couldn't manifest in a multitude of forms, other than sheer habit of course.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 09-09-2002, 06:43 AM   #8
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Blackheart
Actually there's no text to say that Balrogs were "stuck" in a particular shape, unlike Melkor, or Sauron.

Though they were likely limited to shadow and fire as to the form of their manifestation, theres no reason they couldn't manifest in a multitude of forms, other than sheer habit of course.
But you can't know as well if they could've or couldn't have the ability to switch bodies. Therefor, I can't be sure I'm right, but you can't be sure too if you're right. (that mean we need more information about balrogs )
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:30 AM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It depends on how you interpret the text in FOTR. I personally believe that they were man-shaped, surrounded by dark flame, and shadow. And I happen to think that they had a great degree of control of the flame, and the shadow, and could consequently control their size, rather than having a fixed rigid shape: thus the illusion of wings, and size.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:45 PM   #10
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Changing bodies? Heavens.

I said changing shape, not bodies.

If your body is composed of fire and darkness, it's going to be pretty malleable anyway.

Old 10-10-2002, 07:20 AM   #11
Misty Mountain Goat
Hobbit

Possably the Balrogs, because of there demigod stature, vairy in size though how powerful or how old think about it.

Last edited by Misty Mountain Goat : 10-10-2002 at 07:24 AM.
Misty Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:26 AM   #12
Millane
The Dude

i agree they could grow and become more powerful as they grow... remember there is a pretty large time fram between when fingon battles one and Gandalf battles one
and also not all Balrogs are the same size * just a guess* and the one that Fingon battles is different to the one in Khazad Dum...
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:33 PM   #13
Ithildin
Hobbit

Location: I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait for me.
As far as changing sizes goes, in "The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm", it seems that the Balrog changed sizes even during the short time that the Fellowship saw it.

"The Balrog reached the bridge...halted again, facing (Gandalf), and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings....The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly onto the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall..."

As far as how large it was, if I correctly understand the lay-out of the area they were in, from wall to wall would have been a large area for its wings to cover. It also says that Gandalf seemed small then compared to the Balrog.

As far as changing bodies goes, from "The White Rider" in the TT, (Gandalf speaking about the Balrog),

"His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake...(a little later in the narrative)...Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame."

I'm not sure if that actually means that it changes bodies, though. It almost seems that the Balrog couldn't burn underwater, but flamed whenever there wasn't something to quench it. It also seems that the "thing of slime" was man-shaped....

"Ever he *clutched* me and ever I hewed him....and I pursued him, clutching his *heel*." (Emphasis added.)

My guess is that the "thing of slime" was the core of the Balrog -- the "of man-shape maybe, yet greater" part -- and that the flame and shadow were what enabled it to appear to change shape and size.
Ithildin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 02:11 PM   #14
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

"My guess is that the "thing of slime" was the core of the Balrog -- the "of man-shape maybe, yet greater" part -- and that the flame and shadow were what enabled it to appear to change shape and size."

Which would then explain how Gandalf was able to kill the Balrog. It doesn't seem that it would hurt something made of pure flame to hit a mountian side, but if he had an inner core, it would make sense.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:34 PM   #15
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Did he actually kill it? or did he merely destroy it's body, and remove it's ability to manifest?

It was a maiar also. Perhaps it's still lurking around, gathering energy to reclaok itself in fire and darkness....

Old 10-10-2002, 03:23 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Ah! But most maiur couldn't regain their power after the lost it.

Sauron could-because of the ring, and gandalf was restored by divine intervention, but could all maia do the same?

The texts indicate no-once the ring was gone, sauron was powerless, and the same went for saruman when he lost his staff, and later when he was killed.

I think the balrog probably lost his power irretrievably.

Incidentally, who balrogs are said to fight really doesn't make a difference. Fingolfin fought melkor, who was described as mountainous in size...
Old 10-10-2002, 04:05 PM   #17
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Actually, if avari can drift around, houseless, waiting to possess a body, I see no reason why a balrog couldn't do the same, and then begin to build a form closer to their true nature.

Old 10-10-2002, 04:27 PM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

That's true...

But you must remember that incarnation for Elves and Maia was different.

The elves had a physical body that they simply animated... it stayed around after they died, and they could take another one.

An incarnate ainur actually formed his body out of energy-he not only animated it, he created it. And so the possibilities for reincarnation are different.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:20 PM   #19
Blackheart
Elf Lord

So?

We'll build a large evil fire, and invite him to come live in it.

Then we'll have out own pet balrog.

Old 10-11-2002, 12:28 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hell, I'm game.