Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2004, 12:04 AM   #1
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

xbox, gamecube, or ps2?

After years and years of my parents preventing me from buying a console (only allowing me to own a gameboy), I finally convinced them to let me get one for the summer and then continue to use it during the school year.

Only took like 6 years, not bad.

Anyway, which of the three "next generation" systems should I buy?

X Box Gamecube or Playstation 2?

I'd like some opinions from members who own at least 2 of the three.

Why is one better than the other?

So far, X Box is looking good. Knights of the old republic looks like a good game, and everyone says halo is good.... i have a gameboy so that may be enough nintendo for me

Your thoughts?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

I have GC and PS2 and i prefer the PS2 (although that might be because i have 3 GC games ). I find that the graphics are better and besides, most Nintendo games are the same and are cartoonish. I have never played Xbox though, so i cant say anything about it except that i heard it freezes a lot

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:50 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Not true. Get metroid prime for the nintendo. That game is amazingly beautiful, and it's a damned good play. Anyway, I own a PS2, and a GC. I'm trying to avoid the hellspawn xbox, but there's too many good games beckoning. What kind of games do you like playing, tristan? Cos you know, each console market caters for different tastes. GC tends to be more kinda puzzley, cartoonish stuff, whilst xbox tends to be more first person shooter, y'know? I'd recommend the PS2 personally. It's got a better controller than the xbox, and the games are a bit more varied. Of course, I don't know how well the xbox does over there compared to the PS2, but in NZ there are more games for the PS2. Something to think about. Also: there's a new PS coming out soonish as well.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:54 AM   #4
Millane
The Dude

Halo, Halo, Halo the greatest game ever and its soon to be surpassed (in about 4 months now i think) by HALO 2, WOOOOO!!!
anyway if it were me id get an Xbox but thats only for Halo, if you want more variety i would get a PS...
Quote:
It's got a better controller than the xbox,
i used to hate using the Xbox controller but the smaller one is awesome, in my opinion better than the PS controller, if you do get an Xbox, get the smaller controllers...
Old 06-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Janny
The Blobbit

I only own a PS2, and I really like it. However, apparently the XBOX is much better. Also it has the most recent TOCA , even though that series was getting lame with the story telling...
Anyway, PS2 seems to have problems with faster games (esp. multiplayer) that I don't think the XBOX would have. Unreal Tourny, amazingly hi-speed on PC, the PS2 can't do it justice.
When the forth generation comes, I'll go with XBOX2, but it just depends if you want to line the pockets of a certain Mr. Gates...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #6
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

I would go with X-Box, even though I hate Bill Gates, it's got some great games coming out for it (Halo 2, Fable), and it has superior graphics.

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
i used to hate using the Xbox controller but the smaller one is awesome, in my opinion better than the PS controller, if you do get an Xbox, get the smaller controllers...
I prefer the larger controller, but that's probably because I own X-Box and have gotten used to it.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
HOBBIT

Well, what games are there for ps2?

I think im giong to go with getting an xbox.

A majority of people own all 3 or own ps2 and xbox say that it is better..

everyone says it has better graphics and better gameplay.

Gamecube has almost no third party support and I couldn't see myself buying more than 3 or 4 games total for that system.

I'm still not too sure though :/ , since I've always really liked nintendo games.

I looked it up - and rumor has it that xbox2 and ps3 are coming out late 2005 and gamecube 2 early 2006.

So that means I get about a year to enjoy whatever system I buy.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 06-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

I think ps3 is gonna be a hand held console. From what i have heard sony wants to get into that market since right now only nintendo is

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:21 PM   #9
HOBBIT

no, ps3 will not be a handheld console.

ps3 will be a sequel to ps2

Sony is coming out with something called psp, which is a handheld device to compete with nintendo's new handheld, nintendo ds.

The new nintendo one should be coming out by the end of the year and the sony one soon after.

Nintendo does NOT have the only portable gaming device -

There is the Nokia N-gage (they are releasing a better cheaper version), Tapwave Zodiac (which is out now... I think you can get it at comp usa), and the upcoming Gizmondo from tiger electronics. There are a bunch of others too, cant really remember them at the moment.

Edit: Here is a link to a short article with info and pics on all the above handhelds that I have mentioned:
http://courier-journal.com/gizweb/cols/04/040529.htm

Old 06-13-2004, 11:09 PM   #10
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I think it is a matter of preference, all three of the systems have good graphics.. My brother owns a ps2 and there is a large number and variety of different games to choose from. Another advantage of the ps2 is you can play the classic games from the original playstation and it is also a dvd player. I have heard that the ps2 online abilities is also pretty good if you enjoy playing with others. I would imagine with the ps3 coming out you will also be albe to play the original playstations games, ps2 games and the games that will come out for ps3.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:50 AM   #11
HOBBIT

how does reverse compatability help me???

I don't have any of the old play station games, so the fact that ps2 can still play them doesn't really do anything for me...

Old ps games aren't exactly readily available...im sure I could find some used...

but why get a new system to play old games?

If I want to play old ps games I'll just buy a play stion for like $30.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:16 AM   #12
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

The Knights of the Old Republic would almost clinch the X-Box for me. But then again PS2 has FFX and Metal Gear Solid 2...
Old 06-14-2004, 10:31 AM   #13
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
how does reverse compatability help me???

I don't have any of the old play station games, so the fact that ps2 can still play them doesn't really do anything for me...

Old ps games aren't exactly readily available...im sure I could find some used...

but why get a new system to play old games?

If I want to play old ps games I'll just buy a play stion for like $30.
I mentioned it becasuse there was quite a few games excellent games that came out for ps1 and more importantly they would be pretty cheap to purchase. But then again you would have to enjoy the classics...
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:15 PM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Old playstation 2 games are readily available from several sources over here. Usually, you can trade them at stores that sell newer games as well, and there's Real Groovy which sells new and used games. It's worth playing classics, because they're damned good. Final Fantasy really is MUST if you get the playstation2. Typical Tristan, to write off something you haven't tried.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #15
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

this is so weird; my brothers and i were just trying (yet again ) to convince mom that we should get a ps2 or gc or xbox. my oldest-younger bro's b-day is coming up in a week or so and we're trying to think of something to get him.
we own a nintendo64 and LOVE the zelda games for that, but there are a couple more for gc and another new one coming out soon. however, there are some awesome multiplayer games for ps2, so we're kinda trying to decide between the two. do you think it's worth it to get both?

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #16
HOBBIT

I think I'm going to get a Xbox.

I want to get two of them too - but it is too much money to get two of them.

$149.99 for XBOX and Ps2 now - and all new games are like $50.

Think about this too: In a year they will all be obsolete - the new generation of consoles will be coming out late 2005ish, meaning you only have a year.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:03 PM   #17
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

hmm, maybe we could get a gc now, and a new ps next year... i think maybe that's what we'll do.

now all we have to do is convince mom and dad...

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:32 AM   #18
HOBBIT

well, at launch a new system would be at least $300 and all the games would be new - so at least $50 each.

Anyway, the deed is done. I bought a xbox - not many ppl around here seem to have one and it looked cool.

Bought:
-xbox system (came with new smaller controller)
-extra controller (also small size, they dont seem to sell the original)
-halo
-Star Wars: Knights of the old republic

Cost me a little over $250....

I suppose its worth it.

Maybe I can also buy a gamecube later on since they are only $99 or/and a used n64, dreamcast, or psone.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:08 AM   #19
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
well, at launch a new system would be at least $300 and all the games would be new - so at least $50 each.

Anyway, the deed is done. I bought a xbox - not many ppl around here seem to have one and it looked cool.

Bought:
-xbox system (came with new smaller controller)
-extra controller (also small size, they dont seem to sell the original)
-halo
-Star Wars: Knights of the old republic

Cost me a little over $250....

I suppose its worth it.

Maybe I can also buy a gamecube later on since they are only $99 or/and a used n64, dreamcast, or psone.
That really is a bastard that not many people have one, do any of your friends have an Xbox???????? a big game of halo is the VB of Gaming this holidays where gunna hook up a few Xbox's and just play Halo non-stop. Its also good because you can have two people on each screen as a team and you have to use your radar instead of just looking at there screen... ummm Blood Gulch is a good level but its just so big that you really need over 8 players to enjoy it (although sniper battles are good) Hang em High is my favourite level (hoard the invisibility and shotgun and your set )
ooooooh now i want a massive game of Halo
Old 06-17-2004, 05:50 PM   #20
Janny
The Blobbit

Which games would you say are the best multiplayer shoot em up for PS2?
And is there going to be a Red Faction three? I need my amazing shoot thru walls rail gun...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote