Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2002, 07:30 AM   #1
Faeirex
Hobbit

Location: A place inside my head, where none but myself dare go.
Aaaaaaaargh! No! GCSE's!

Well, I checked the first 5 pages of general messages and I couldn't find anything that looked like it was connected with GCSE's, so here goes.

Unless you're a Brit, you won't know what I'm talking about. But over here, for the 15 and 16 year olds, we've just started on the exams which will determine if we will be able to go to college, get a job etc., or end up paying someone rent for the use of their cardboard box. Ugh.

I'm hoping there are some people out there who can come share the pain, [oops, did I say pain? I meant share helpful comments and advice...] or this may just turn into a self-pity thing for me and polkat. Hoping not.

Well, had my last day of school yesterday. I'm now officially on study leave. This would be a good thing, except I also had my music GCSE yesterday. Aaaaaaaaaaargh!
I tell you, those examiners are evil. 'All around my hat' played FIVE times! What did we do to deserve such torture?

So, who else is doing GCSE's, or has done GCSE's? Please come talk, cos pain is always better when shared...

~Fae
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Faeirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:36 AM   #2
Garina
Elf Lord

I pity you. I dropped music because my teacher decided she didn't want me on the course.

Next week I have 8 exams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 08:59 AM   #3
Faeirex
Hobbit

Far from dropping me from the course, my music teacher is trying to persuade me to do music for A-level. I loathe music, but it's beginning to look like a more attractive option than the one I
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:06 AM   #4
Faeirex
Hobbit

Far from dropping me from the course, my music teacher is trying to persuade me to do music for A-level. I loathe music, but it's beginning to look like a more attractive option than the one I've currently chosen- Chemistry. My chemistry teacher is so incompetent, I'm more confused after she's explained how to do something than I was before. That could be a problem...

Next week, I have an exam morning and afternoon every single day. Even worse, on the Friday two of them clashed, so my Latin has been moved to the morning. Everyone else has theirs in the afternoon still, so I'll be kept under lock and key until then. I'm having visions of banging on a door going 'Help me! I'm running out of air!'

I'm trying to revise for my French oral at the moment, and failing miserably. How can I be expected to memorise an entire speech, plus answers to many, many questions, in FRENCH?
But hey, at least my oral is tomorrow. Polkat's was today! How I pity her

~Fae

Old 05-22-2002, 09:34 AM   #5
Garina
Elf Lord

I did my French oral ages ago - they thought it would be a good idea to have the exams way before hand. Stupid teachers!!!
Good luck!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2

Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Old 05-22-2002, 11:22 AM   #6
aldesign
Elven Warrior

good luck
i did mine 3years ago,
but my brother has got his now, he'll be having the same stress as u.

thin khe had his German and Science today, not sure.

GOOD LUCK and dont get stressed.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 02:19 PM   #7
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
as i have been mentioned many [well 2 times] in this thread i figured it was time for me to post.

i don't really have anything to say, except my crash course in what not to do in your french oral.
1. when your french teacher asks you if you like your job do not say "oui, i like it" in a french accent.

thats it. but i reconed it about ruined it for me. [holds head in hands in dispair.]
Old 05-23-2002, 02:37 PM   #8
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I hate GCSEs! So many subjects, so much to learn... It's not fair. I like study leave though. Daytime TV is funny!
Good luck everyone, especially next week.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 05-23-2002 at 03:07 PM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 08:43 AM   #9
Garina
Elf Lord

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
(I'm panicking!)

I have my Geography and Englsih Lit papers tomorrow.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

:EEK:

Note to self: When taking important exams, do not spend free week of study leave on Entmoot!

Good luck to anyone else taking exams!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2

Old 05-26-2002, 10:54 AM   #10
Faeirex
Hobbit

Garina, I totally sympathise. I have both those papers 2moro as well. Unfortunately, I spent last night watching six movies in a row with a couple of mates, and have had two hours of sleep.

I'm dead...

On a brighter note, my French oral went ok. I successfully memorised my presentation the day b4, so that went ok. The not knowing what questions she was actually asking me was solved by using "Je ne comprends pas la question", and almost everything else could be answered with "oui" or "non".

It may not be A* stuff, but at least I managed to stick to the correct language...

Good luck for

Old 05-26-2002, 10:57 AM   #11
Faeirex
Hobbit

2moro u guys!

~Fae

Why do I keep doing that? I somehow send a post in the middle of writing it. Getting annoyed now...

Old 05-26-2002, 02:35 PM   #12
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
agh!! damn long signiture

please change your signiture it is driving me insane!!! especially when the actually post is only 3 or so words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm guess was already insane.

sigh.

ha ha have no geography tomorrow. go me!! luv that i didn't take it. stupid r.s later on in the week. ah well.

noticed not so subtle dig about french oral. thanx.

english lit tomorrow.
agh!!!!

oh well.

bye bye

i know its been said already but good luck everyone!!
Old 05-27-2002, 03:12 AM   #13
Garina
Elf Lord

Good luck everyone. In case I don't survive, it's been nice knowing you!
May the Force be with you.
Entmoot Resident Bard #2

Old 05-04-2004, 12:18 PM   #14
Janny
The Blobbit

Aaaaaaaargh! No! GCSE's! (Class of 2004)

Okay 15 and 16 year old mooters... it's that time. Who else is taking them this year? I'm sure I'm not alone on this one.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:44 AM   #15
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Think you might be
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #16
Janny
The Blobbit

Gee, well thanks for the morale support Sunny!

Please!!! Class of 2004 identify yourselves. Don't make me use the revision speech:
'You'll be sorry you when the exams actually come'.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #17
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I did my GCSE's last year and first of all I'd like to say, they're not as bad as everyone makes out. You'll all do fine in them, and it's not the end of the world if you get a lower grade than you expected.

Good Luck everyone, just chill.

On the other hand - I should be revising for my AS/A Levels....

Good Luck to anyone who has exams.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 06:47 AM   #18
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
ur not alone im doing them this year. infact im supossed to be revising now but stuff that. totally sick of revision the teachers are working us like hounds and all these fricking mock papers are driving me up t he wall. i was in silence yesterday for about 3 hours!!!! cos my history teach made u go early so we cud do afull mock exam grrrr.

i go on study leave on the 19th. cant wait altho my first exam is the 18th lol. latin why the hell did i take it god knows. u have to do like 5 different exams for latin so i advise anyone choosing their gcse's DO NOT CHOOSE LATIN!!

ah wel cant do much bout it now. i cant go round my school nemore without seeing a yr11 break down!! ive had several moments already. germna oral next week. yippee!!!

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 01:24 PM   #19
Janny
The Blobbit

So besides Latin and German what else are you taking?
I'm doing:
English Lang and Lit
Math and Statistics
Triple Science
German
History
Full Course RS
Short Course Graphics

And my oral for German is on Wednesday 12th... study leave begins on the 13th... it's close now!

Old 05-10-2004, 08:40 AM   #20
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Good luck all you exam takers.

I used to mark exam papers, and have some general advice. It might be some comfort to know that these people have no interest in failing you; on the contrary, they actually WANT to give you credit. Make it easy for them: read the question properly and answer it relevantly. It's amazing how many people just answer the wrong question. Also, if you are running out of time, make a list bullet points then use any time left to flesh them out.

Finally, remember the advice from Hitch Hiker's Guide:

Quote:
Don't Panic
Sock it to 'em!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote