Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2003, 09:27 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Who's going or went at midnight to get OotP?

I was just wondering who if anyone was going to get the book at midnight. I was actually planning on going. Our Barnes and Noble will be selling it at midnight and I would like to see what they're having. It might be fun.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 09:36 PM   #2
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I'm going at midnight. I know, there will be hundreds of little kids dressed like wizards , but it might be fun. If not, then I can go hide in the adult fantasy-fiction section of the store.

Edit: It turns out that I'm not going Oh well, I'll get the book tomorrow

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com

Last edited by Elvengirl : 06-20-2003 at 10:57 PM.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I'll be in bed dreaming of the FEDEX girl.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:00 PM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

There is little that I would go out during midnight to get when I could get the same item the next day or later in the week.

Besides it is raining heavily in central NJ tonight.

I never read any HPotter book, though I hear it is interesting read.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 01:59 AM   #5
jerseydevil

Well I went to leave at 11:15 and I took my car out and discovered it had a flat tire. I called to have it fixed - they came out - but I didn't get to Barnes and Noble until 12:30. They had just given out their last ticket for unreserved books. So needless to say - I didn't get one. The unreserved book line was halfway through Market Fair (a mall). I couldn't believe how many people went out in the rain - I thought it wouldn't be that bad.

Now I have to try first thing in the morning and see if they have any. If they don't then they won't be getting a shipment in until Monday or Tuesday. I knew I should have reserved it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-21-2003, 04:00 AM   #6
Heather Wooltoes
Elven Warrior

I just got back from Walmart where I stood in line for two fricken hours. I made it home with a copy for my 13 year old daughter. I was going to surprise her with it in the morning but the little snot was already awake and snatched it out of my hands 2 seconds after I walked in the door. Oh well, I can use this next time she whines how I never do anything for her.

Im going to bed.

Don't p*** me off.....I'm running out of places to hide the bodies!
Heather Wooltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

My whole family went to this "party" at a bookstore from 11:00 to 12:00 to get my book. All I did was stand in line for about an hour and 10 min with my dad..... But my sister made me a wand! *swish and flick*

Last edited by Salquënòrëwen : 06-21-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:42 PM   #8
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

The FEDEX guy just came. What was I doing?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 04:58 PM   #9
jerseydevil

I got my copy at 9:00. I got the store about 7:45. There were several people already waiting. It didn't seem like I needed to be too concerned - they tons TONS of boxes behind the counter. I ended up getting the standard and the special edition - because I like leather bound books (although those I hardly ever read).

I was surprised - I only paid $19.95 for it at Barnes and Nobles - I thought that was only for the pre-orders. That was much better than the $30 it would have been and I was expecting.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-21-2003, 05:27 PM   #10
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I had to work, drat it all, so I sent the BF out to get it (it came out at 11.01am NZ time.) I got a "I brought it on June 21st" bag and all. Yippee!
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 06:24 PM   #11
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I was surprised - I only paid $19.95 for it at Barnes and Nobles - I thought that was only for the pre-orders. That was much better than the $30 it would have been and I was expecting.
Yes me too. The book is 40% off for the weekend. I was happy about that

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:46 PM   #12
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I wish I had the real English version of all the books. The translation into "american" isn't that great. Hosepipe :P

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:04 PM   #13
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
I wish I had the real English version of all the books. The translation into "american" isn't that great. Hosepipe :P
not surprised...that's why I ordered mine from Amazon's UK site

on the other hand, you already have a copy, and I'm still waiting for mine to arrive via Royal Air Mail...
Old 06-22-2003, 12:01 AM   #14
jerseydevil

Quote:
How is that a crappy translation into American? That IS what a garden hose is called in ENGLAND. If they were going to translate it to American - it would say "garden hose" or just "hose".

Here is how to make a Hosepipe Wreath It's a CANADIAN site - so as you can see - hosepipe has NOTHING to do with it being an American translation.

I actually didn't find ANY American translations in the book. They keep most, if not ALL, of the British phrases and words such as "bedclothes", "binning them", etc. The only things they translate into American English are kilometers to miles and spelling - from colour to color.

EDIT - Here is UK Garden Store - Hosepipe Bollard in turned oak And this link from the BBC - UK 'to Escape' Hosepipe Ban And here is a 4 Way Hosepipe Split for sale on the Lycos UK site.
Before criticising the the words as being a poor translation into American - it would help if you knew British English.

It's funny how you and Hasty Ent criticised the words as translations into American English and are complaing that the books are in "crappy" American - so you need the "superior" British version - when you can't even tell the difference or even know British English.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-22-2003 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:43 AM   #15
HOBBIT

Did you not read what I said? I said it was a really bad translation into american. Have you seen the British version of the book? No, so you really have no idea how much of the British phrasing they kept. Obviously they changed a lot of it and kept some of it. I'd rather that they just keep all of it.

What I meant was that obviously hosepipe was an english word and they kinda missed that several times - either that or they did it on purpose. I would definitely rather that there not even BE an 'american' version. Thanks for the pointless links btw - i KNOW its a british word. I just meant that with everything it just didn't seem to fit. If they keep some words, why not keep em all?

Don’t be so condescending you should have known what I meant – and I think that you did.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 06-22-2003, 12:46 AM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
Did you not read what I said? I said it was a really bad translation into american. Have you seen the British version of the book? No, so you really have no idea how much of the British phrasing they kept. Obviously they changed a lot of it and kept some of it. I'd rather that they just keep all of it.

What I meant was that obviously hosepipe was an english word and they kinda missed that several times - either that or they did it on purpose. I would definitely rather that there not even BE an 'american' version. Thanks for the pointless links btw - i KNOW its a british word. I just meant that with everything it just didn't seem to fit. If they keep some words, why not keep em all?
Your statement makes NO sense. The only other thing they call it is garden hose and that is also in the book. Just like in America - there are synonyms in Britain.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-22-2003, 12:53 AM   #17
HOBBIT

Bah, get over it - i know that hosepipe is a british word. I could have been more clear in my original post. I wish that I had a British version and that still stands. It seems like that they did a sloppy job translating into American - why not just have ONE VERSION instead of American and British then?

Hosepipe was a bad example and I could have been more clear. I was just in a rush to post because I was reading the book. Hosepipe is NOT in the american vernacular For the american version I would think it would at least be changed to garden hose. whatever

its not that big of a deal - same story, just I think that it loses a little bit after being "americanized." - as if we are too stupid to read and enjoy the original british.

Would you like a nice americanized copy of LOTR? I mean why not, it might confuse ppl , especially kids, right?

Old 06-22-2003, 01:22 AM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
How do you know they changed a lot of it though? Have you seen the original? I assume you have heard of search and replace. If they were going to translate it into Ameircan - they would use a lot of search and replace.
Quote:

It didn't sound that way to me. It sounded like you were saying they screwed up on the translation and translated an Englsih word to "hosepipe".

I agree they should keep the British phrases - but I see nothing wrong with translating spellings and distances. This is a childrens book - not Charles Dickens. 9 and 10 year olds who are American - read this. They know that in America color is spelt c-o-l-o-r.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-22-2003, 01:23 AM   #19
jerseydevil

Quote:
Would you like a nice americanized copy of LOTR? I mean why not, it might confuse ppl , especially kids, right?
Lord of the Rings isn't a childrens book.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-22-2003, 01:28 AM   #20
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Uh, it says "hosepipe" in the British/Canadian version. That hasn't been changed.

Quote:
Lord of the Rings isn't a childrens book.
The very arguable "children's book" status of Harry Potter does not justify American bastardization of the language involved.

As for having seen the changes myself? Yes I have, thank you very much. However, there's a much more comprehensive list at my fingertips here.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote