Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-28-2002, 05:16 PM   #1
Elfstone.
Hobbit

Song of Ice and Fire

Just wondering if any of you chaps have read George R.R. Martin's 3 book series the Song of Ice and Fire.

I am starting them, well now actually so just looking for any thoughts and these books.

Davie the Dunadan
"Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

- When Aragorn son of Arathorn looks Sauron straight in the eyes and Sauron cowers.

Anduril flaming in my right hand.
The Palantir's blue eminating glow in my left hand.
3500 Year's of Kingly Numenorean bloodline flowing through my veins.
Who's your Tyler Durden, now?

Christ Reigns.

Romans 10:9
Ephesians 6
Psalm 91
Elfstone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Haven't read them. Let us know what you think of them and if you would recommend them.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
billiam
Sapling

I've read the first 2 books and am somewhat ambivalent about them. He is a fantastic writer - a true wordsmith. The story is very engaging and reads extremely well. On the other hand he doesn't have the traditional sense of good and evil found in most fantasy.

Major good characters get killed off, nasty characters are treated as the hero's, etc. There is also a lot of sex and tons of language - both of which detract from a book in my opinion. It is not for those easily offended.

That said, I am still a fan of the books (especially the first) because of Mr. Martin's skill with a pen (pencil, keyboard???). I guess I will forgive a lot to enjoy a good writer.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:14 AM   #4
jojenReed
Sapling

I just had to speak up in defense of Asoiaf. It's one of my favorite series's ever. I happen to think that in contrast to books like TOlkein and as far I know Wot (which I hated ) Haveing the sex, death, and language add to the story making the world grittier, realer and much easier to relate to. the death of mane character also adds to some of the realness of the world, and it keeps on your toes, cause everyones a target.

there are no clear "bad guys" really in the story which I think is another strongpoint . all the character are motivated by normal if not good things. there is really only one major outside force and it hasn't really come into play. It's an almost entirely magic free world, so there's only rare plot-points that sound like things from LOTr "an long dead evil is stirring and regaining power..." A main catalyst for the start Asoiaf sounds like "A man bound to his Honor goes to the court of the King to serve as his hand (like righthand man only formal) only to discover that the court is filled with corruption deception... and so on. the sotrie is immensely complex (although isn't all fantasy?) but is told in a uniquely personal style. I think everyone should read them and they are one of the best things on the market.
jojenReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:40 AM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I've read literally hundreds of fiction novels in the past several years, and I have yet to see any author who manages to use 'grit' or 'realism' to improve his story. Even the best dark fantasies I've read suffer when the author puts in that sort of stuff.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
Butterburr
Hobbit

I've read them, and like them, especially since they are NOT the same as Tolkien's books. I wonder though how many more volumes Martin has in mind for the series. Does anyone know? I'd hate for this to turn into a never ending series...
Butterburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:48 PM   #7
jojenReed
Sapling

THere are right now spposed to be six. the Next on e iS called a Feast for crows. It dhould be out in the next year or so, you can get the full release info at www.GeorgeRRmartin.com
jojenReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:20 PM   #8
Butterburr
Hobbit

Thanks for the link jojen. I had seen that A Feast for Crows was on its way (now that's a great title - I wonder what will happen in this volume...).

I agree with what you said about the "reality" of the story. At the same time it has some unique fantasy elements. I would recommend these to anyone.
Butterburr is offline   Reply With Quote