Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

The connections of Harry Potter and Tom Riddle

I've just quickly read through the last Potter book, skipping stuff as is my usual style. I'll reread as I have more time, but I wanted to hear opinions on the "connections" business.

So...Potter can sense Riddle's emotions ( and seems to be almost in peril of acting on them, like the rage at Dumbledore thing) because of of him absorbing some of R/V's (Riddle/Voldemort ) "essence" when he was attacked as a baby?

Can/will R/V pick up on Potter's emotions the same way?

Does R/V having some of Potter's blood from his rejuvenation procedure connect him, (hinder or empower him) in any way? An vice versa?

The wand connection prevents them from dueling , to the death, with wands? but curses work?

A little confused!
Old 04-26-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Re: The connections of Harry Potter and Tom Riddle

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I've just quickly read through the last Potter book, skipping stuff as is my usual style. I'll reread as I have more time, but I wanted to hear opinions on the "connections" business.

So...Potter can sense Riddle's emotions ( and seems to be almost in peril of acting on them, like the rage at Dumbledore thing) because of of him absorbing some of R/V's (Riddle/Voldemort ) "essence" when he was attacked as a baby?

Can/will R/V pick up on Potter's emotions the same way?

Does R/V having some of Potter's blood from his rejuvenation procedure connect him, (hinder or empower him) in any way? An vice versa?

The wand connection prevents them from dueling , to the death, with wands? but curses work?

A little confused!
I'm not sure about the emotions - but I'm not Riddle can pick up the emotions of Harry. When you think about it, the curse hit Harry, but left a sign in him because of its strength, and returned to Voldemort - the question is, did something of Harry was somehow in the curse? I don't think so....

About the blood... I think it's clear from the 5th book that the blood can connect them... right?

Voldemort can curse and attack Harry - but in the special incident, both Harry and Voldemort sent spells that hit more or less at the same direction the same time - and because the wands were close (from the same Pheonix), it happened.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Well I don't think anyone but JKR could answer weather Voldemort picks up on Harrys emotions or not. But we all know that when Harry was a baby and attacked the curse back fired. He didn't get Voldemorts essnece he got some of his abilities. He is now linked to him.

Well, DUH! Ofcourse the fact that Voldemort has Harrys' blood helps him and hurts Harry! Did yo uread the first and fourth books at all?! Harry was protected becasue his mother died for him. Voldemort now has that prtection which means he can now touch Harry.

You said, "The wand connection prevents them from dueling , to the death, with wands? but curses work?"

When you say curses what do you mean? If you mean when he was a baby then you seriusly need to get your brain washed. When he was a baby the curse and all the powers be they good or evil hadn't happened yet therefore it worked except for the fact that Lily was killed and protects him. That's why that curse backfired.
Now if you mean in the fourth book when Voldemort hurts Harry with that curse(can't remember it's name offhand), well, that's easy HARRY WASN'T USING HIS WAND!
The whole prevents them from deling thing is obscure at best. I assume it means if the spellsconnect, as we all know they did in the fourth book, then the following effects will happen. If the wands don't hit and someone sends a death curse the nwho knows what will happen? Again only JKR can answer this.

You really need to reread the books. All of them. Without skipping stuff. I'm pretty sure that you'll questions will answered then.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:50 PM   #4
Rhëtit
Sapling

If you read the books, then maybe you can stop wasting valuable board space with your stupid questions.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Those are perfectly valid questions, newbie. And if you read some of Lizra's posts, you'd know enough to know that she's not some stupid idiot. *mutters something about a silly newbie hypocritically wasting board space*

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-26-2004 at 10:17 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:58 AM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
Well I don't think anyone but JKR could answer weather Voldemort picks up on Harrys emotions or not. But we all know that when Harry was a baby and attacked the curse back fired. He didn't get Voldemorts essnece he got some of his abilities. He is now linked to him.

Well, DUH! Ofcourse the fact that Voldemort has Harrys' blood helps him and hurts Harry! Did yo uread the first and fourth books at all?! Harry was protected becasue his mother died for him. Voldemort now has that prtection which means he can now touch Harry.

You said, "The wand connection prevents them from dueling , to the death, with wands? but curses work?"

When you say curses what do you mean? If you mean when he was a baby then you seriusly need to get your brain washed. When he was a baby the curse and all the powers be they good or evil hadn't happened yet therefore it worked except for the fact that Lily was killed and protects him. That's why that curse backfired.
Now if you mean in the fourth book when Voldemort hurts Harry with that curse(can't remember it's name offhand), well, that's easy HARRY WASN'T USING HIS WAND!
The whole prevents them from deling thing is obscure at best. I assume it means if the spellsconnect, as we all know they did in the fourth book, then the following effects will happen. If the wands don't hit and someone sends a death curse the nwho knows what will happen? Again only JKR can answer this.

You really need to reread the books. All of them. Without skipping stuff. I'm pretty sure that you'll questions will answered then.
Hey, ..edited out... Fimbrethil I've read them all, in order, thank you very much. She just overloads you in the last two. Quidditch matches....BORING! Umbridge is a horrible, mean, toad faced cow....ok, I got it the first, second, third, fourth time....

Some of Voldemorts "abilities"...another way to say that "might" be using the word *essence*. Excuse me, I didn't realize you were too dense to pick up on that. I KNOW he is linked to him. DUH! The question is directed at all the sutle, DIFFERENT, and in my opinion, slightly confusing ways. I think Rowling is a bit repetitive, especially if you read ALL the books, back to back, like I did. (Skipping boring parts as usual, but I am rereading skipped bits whem when I have the time)

As far as the blood, I was thinking BEYOND the obvious. I was thinking about one hurting the other when trying to kill each other. Sort of a "killing part of yourself" might be a bit of a bad idea. Whatever.

As far as the wand bits, I was asking for ideas on fine points Missy......go wash your own brain.... Whatever that means. The ending of the last book was hurried, in my opinion.

Last edited by Lizra : 04-28-2004 at 08:06 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:01 AM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhëtit
If you read the books, then maybe you can stop wasting valuable board space with your stupid questions.
Drop dead. No.....make that "CRUCIO!"
Old 04-27-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Re: Re: The connections of Harry Potter and Tom Riddle

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
I'm not sure about the emotions - but I'm not Riddle can pick up the emotions of Harry. When you think about it, the curse hit Harry, but left a sign in him because of its strength, and returned to Voldemort - the question is, did something of Harry was somehow in the curse? I don't think so....

About the blood... I think it's clear from the 5th book that the blood can connect them... right?

Voldemort can curse and attack Harry - but in the special incident, both Harry and Voldemort sent spells that hit more or less at the same direction the same time - and because the wands were close (from the same Pheonix), it happened.
Thank you Rad the Brown. You are a doll.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:13 AM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Those are perfectly valid questions, newbie. And if you read some of Lizra's posts, you'd know enough to know that she's not some stupid idiot. *mutters something about a silly newbie hypocritically wasting board space*
Thank YOU Bop! I was hoping you might give your thoughts on the matter of the *mentioned over and over and over* connections of HP and R/V. I guess after reading all the books back to back, I was left with a feeling of *enough of the connection bit*...... move on! Though I thought the part about Dumbledore not wanting to look at HP a nice twist on it.

Dang! Now my coffee's cold. What an unpleasant bit of "discussion". I am disappointed. What's the point of this!

Last edited by Lizra : 04-27-2004 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:18 PM   #10
Fimbrethil

Hey, I wasn't trying to mean or insult you. If you got offended by what Rhëtit posted take it up with her. I read the books back to back and I wasn't confused not to say that you shouldn't be either, we just have different ways of looking at things I geuss. I didn't realize you were looking beyond the obvious, I'm not a mind reader so how would I know that's what you were getting at? I thought I was helping you out a little by trying to explain what I thought the answer to alot of your qeustions were and I like I said I didn't mean to come off as rude or condesending, sorry if I did.

In my oppinion "abliity" is not the same as "essence" but there you have it, it's my oppinion and if your going to angry because when you ask a qeustion that pretty geuss and go, like the ones you asked, and you get an oppinion for an answer then you ought not be posting on the internet because alot of it is opinion.

I agree the ending was good, but hurried. Then again what do you expect when she's getting presured(sp?) like she is? I was giving you an answer I thought you wanted on the wand thing, if you wanted finer points then you should have said that. Wash your brain's just an expression I use, got started on my bus I suppose it's an inside thing and I shouldn't use it.

Sorry agian that I made you angry and you missunderstood my post but I'm not sorry for what I said. By the way what you said to me was very rude and I didn't like it you could have said it nicly and then we could have worked it out in a pm, why are people so quick to take offense now adays?

Last edited by Fimbrethil : 04-27-2004 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 AM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well Fimbrethil, Of course I am sorry to have "yelled" at you... But I was riled at being ridiculed for merely asking questions. I come to Entmoot in the early am, reading and drinking my coffee, while waiting to get my kids on the school bus. Your post was a little too much "attitude" for the just woke up me. Sorry.
I was smiling to myself last night, thinking about how I got annoyed by the constant mention of atmospheric foreboding (the sky was darkening, etc etc) in "The Return of the King." I must have a little peeve about repetition. I suppose if I had read the HP books slowly, as the were released, (instead of one immediately right after the other) It wouldn't seem like every other chapter was about the way Harry and R/V were *connected*.

So the list is as follows....? (please add or correct if you see things differently, but don't criticize/ridicule discussion....that's what this forum's all about...isn't it!? )

______Potter R/V connections_______

Harrys scar hurts when Voldermort is near...thinking ill/evil of him...is angry.

Harry can now sense R/V's strong emotions.

R/V has some of Harry's blood *in* him

Harry has some of R/V's abilities..or "essence" (Ex... speaking in parseltongue. We....and Harry ... are left to wonder how much of HP's superlative wizarding skill is his own, or *picked up* from R/V) due to absorbing some of R/V during the faulty, backfired curse delivered when he was a baby.

HP and R/V's wands are "brothers", sharing a feather from the tale of the Hogwarts Headmaster's (or is it strictly Dumbledore's? ) phoenix.

I guess we are left to wonder how these connections are felt on R/V's end, and perhaps R/V might be aware of a connection that HP hasn't picked up on yet.
I'm probably leaving something out ....and I wonder if there might be more to come.

Last edited by Lizra : 04-28-2004 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #12
Fimbrethil

Ah, that's alright, I geuss I did ridicule to much. Won't happen again. Anyway that seems to be the gist of it. I really don't think anything will be resolved till the last book though.