Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The western world is dying out

Asia and Africa will rule this and the next century while Europe and the rest of the western world will wallow in a steadily increasing unemployment and spreading poverty thanks to the companies which sell out their factories and close their offices.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 11-14-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 12:45 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Disagree... at least with the second half. Africa is a humanitarian crisis... not even waiting to happen - but well under way! Asia is bogged down with problems of its own. If the west falls, we take much of the rest of civilization with us (not intentionally - just by cause-and-effect).

Oh woe unto us... who will rescue us?

The West is failing... (now wait... where have I heard THAT before?? )
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:01 PM   #3
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

How pessimistic you are. We are in a recession right now but recessions don't last forever! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Ok, Asia and maybe Africa will become richer in the future but I certainly don't think that "the West is failing"
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:29 PM   #4
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
How pessimistic you are. We are in a recession right now but recessions don't last forever! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Ok, Asia and maybe Africa will become richer in the future but I certainly don't think that "the West is failing"
Perhaps you're right. I just feel this way because I've had a hard time finding a new job. The general response to an aplication is "no, we can't employ you" and "no, we have just employed somebody".

But perhaps this downward swing will turn upwards in time for me to not give up hope althogether.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:10 PM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
i agree with Jonathan here. Without the West to BUY the products that are currently made in Africa and Asia - they are nothing. The companies would close down. Also - as he said - we are only in a recession - and actually we aren't even in a recession anymore (at least the US) - just a slow growth period. After two decades of growth - it was time for a correction - nothing lasts forever and we are finally coming out of this slow period.

That having been said - I wish they would not be shipping high tech programming jobs to India. The US has been becoming a high tech/service country and now they are shipping our jobs over seas. There aren't other industries to replace the high tech industry. If the people of the US can' afford to buy the products produced in other countries - the whole world suffers. The US consumer has more disposable income then other counries and we are the one's who buy - but if we're out of work - we can't buy.

And Grey Wolf - I'm in the same position as you it seems. It's very depressing and it sucks - because I'm a computer programmer (Java and PowerBuilder) and it seems like there are NO jobs out there at all. I'm trying to work on my website - but who knows how long that will take and if it will get me anywhere in the end. I have pretty much determined - I need to start my own business - and that starts with getting my dynamic NJ Travel Website up.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-14-2003 at 02:14 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #6
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
Perhaps you're right. I just feel this way because I've had a hard time finding a new job. The general response to an aplication is "no, we can't employ you" and "no, we have just employed somebody".

But perhaps this downward swing will turn upwards in time for me to not give up hope althogether.
In that case Grey Wolf, hang in there! Things will pick up for you. Stay positive and just keep trying and trying and trying!!!

Keep us posted too... through whatever success - or even continued frustration!
Old 11-14-2003, 02:23 PM   #7
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
In that case Grey Wolf, hang in there! Things will pick up for you. Stay positive and just keep trying and trying and trying!!!

Keep us posted too... through whatever success - or even continued frustration!
Thank you and I will certainly do so.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:16 PM   #8
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

you can't find a job? welcome to the growing club.
hang in there.
bush can't preside over his reign of error forever.
*pats grey wolf on the back*
Old 11-14-2003, 03:25 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
hang in there.
Actually it has nothing to do with Bush - the economy was slowing down before he even got into office. Also - 9/11 wasn't his fault, nor were the corporate scandals.

It's mostly just the natural ebb and flow of the economy.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-14-2003, 03:31 PM   #10
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

as Winston Churchill said, "If you're going through hell, keep going."

things always get better (then worse again... but that's the ebb and flow thing )
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:33 PM   #11
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
hang in there.
*pats grey wolf on the back*
Uh... besides... Grey Wolf - aren't you in Sweden?
Old 11-14-2003, 03:56 PM   #12
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:

The economy here is in a bad condition, more than 10% unemployed, and becuase of all the terror attacksa we loose tourists and investments (from other countries). The goverment tried to solve the problems by giving money to the rich and take from the poor - for that the rich will invest and set up factories, no unemployment, etc, but it doesn't work. And the workers organizations keep striking every time the ministers decide to take more money of them. (=the economical situation is not very good, in one sentence)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 04:05 PM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
goverment tried to solve the problems by giving money to the rich and take from the poor - for that the rich will invest and set up factories, no unemployment, etc, but it doesn't work. And the workers organizations keep striking every time the ministers decide to take more money of them. (=the economical situation is not very good, in one sentence)
yeah thats exactly what they are trying here. will they never learn? you cant trickle down your way to a strong economy. but you can make a few rich people richer. so there is always eternal support for that from powerful people.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 04:14 PM   #14
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
yeah thats exactly what they are trying here. will they never learn? you cant trickle down your way to a strong economy. but you can make a few rich people richer. so there is always eternal support for that from powerful people.
That is so full of crap. Without weathly people investing in businesses and peopel starting up new businesses and becoming sucessfull - there is no way to hire the workers. My father started American Inline because of good loans and stuff. That in a way was trickle down. By us opening up American Inline - we were able to emply 300 people.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-14-2003, 04:47 PM   #15
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Re: The western world is dying out

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
Asia and Africa will rule this and the next century while Europe and the rest of the western world will wallow in a steadily increasing unemployment and spreading poverty thanks to the companies which sell out their factories and close their offices.
I hope you're right. Unfortunately, I don't believe you are.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:43 PM   #16
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
That is so full of crap. Without weathly people investing in businesses and peopel starting up new businesses and becoming sucessfull - there is no way to hire the workers. My father started American Inline because of good loans and stuff. That in a way was trickle down. By us opening up American Inline - we were able to emply 300 people.
there's two sides to every situation... loans start businesses, people with money sustain them... both are important

the real question is when the economy is in a downturn do you stimulate investment, which by it's very nature takes time to "trickle-down"... or do you stimulate consumer spending, which can be near-immediate?

read about reagan in the 80s and you'll see how trickle-down fared
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:50 PM   #17
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yes, I live in Sweden. I applied for several jobs this summer (perhaps not best of times to do that, but what do you do when you simply do not want to be unemployed).

Anyway I'm going to keep on trying even if one sometimes feels it's useless.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 11-14-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:00 PM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
there's two sides to every situation... loans start businesses, people with money sustain them... both are important

the real question is when the economy is in a downturn do you stimulate investment, which by it's very nature takes time to "trickle-down"... or do you stimulate consumer spending, which can be near-immediate?
Well the only way to stimulate consumer spending is to give back more money to the peopel so they can SPEND their money.
Quote:

read about reagan in the 80s and you'll see how trickle-down fared
It basically gave us 2 decades of growth actually.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-14-2003, 06:06 PM   #19
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Jersey get real its a WELL established fact that when you cut taxes to the rich and make them richer THEY are the ones that benefit MUCH more then the poor. Please show me how the POOR are benefiting MORE by tax cuts that save the RICH and big business billions. Its happening again now with Bush's silly tax cut. You had the rich benefiting, the middle class getting this joke of a $400 refund thats basically meaningless and the poor not getting hired for jobs because the jobs arent being created. wheres your trickle down? It doesnt work long term. It has been shown again and again and again not just here but all over the world. When the rich spend as much as the government on federal and state programs that help the poor and the middle class THEN you can make the argument that trickle down economics (better known as voodoo economics) is the best thing ever. In the mean time get yourself unstuck out of early 80s economic thinking. Yer showing your age.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:17 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Jersey get real its a WELL established fact that when you cut taxes to the rich and make them richer THEY are the ones that benefit MUCH more then the poor. Please show me how the POOR are benefiting MORE by tax cuts that save the RICH and big business billions. Its happening again now with Bush's silly tax cut. You had the rich benefiting, the middle class getting this joke of a $400 refund thats basically meaningless and the poor not getting hired for jobs because the jobs arent being created. wheres your trickle down? It doesnt work long term. It has been shown again and again and again not just here but all over the world. When the rich spend as much as the government on federal and state programs that help the poor and the middle class THEN you can make the argument that trickle down economics (better known as voodoo economics) is the best thing ever. In the mean time get yourself unstuck out of early 80s economic thinking. Yer showing your age.
Percentage wise the POOR got a bigger tax break than the wealthy. Of course when the rich get even a 1% tax break they will get more money back - they have MORE money.

Why don't we just take ALL o fhte rich people's money and just give it all to the poor and not have the poor have to work or pay any taxes. Would that be a better way of doing things? Would that satisfy you? Give me a break. Liberals always want to look at tax cuts as dollar amounts and and refuse to look at the percentage. Too many people are too stupid to look at the percentages. I will repeat the LOWER CLASSES - middle class and UNDER got bigger percentage in the tax cuts than the rich. The democrats got up and gave speeches that they weere upset that the peopel who did NOT pay taxes didn't get a tax cut. If they don't pay taxes - how are they supposed to get a tax cut?

IR - you are the one that needs to start living in the real world.

Oh and VooDoo economics was the term used by liberals as a way of discrediting it - even though the same policies were in place under Clinton too. That was a 2 decade growth period in the economy.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-14-2003 at 06:21 PM.