Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2002, 09:35 AM   #1
Elvellon
Elf Lord

What do you like\ dislike about Frodo?

…And now for something entirely different….

What do you like\ dislike about Frodo?(not the movie one ).

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion

Last edited by Elvellon : 03-08-2002 at 09:38 AM.
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 12:15 PM   #2
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I really like the character of Frodo, and I think the only times I disliked him was when they were in Mordor, before the destruction of The Ring. . .but my reasons for not liking him at that point had nothing to do with Frodo himself, and everything to do with the effects The Ring was having on him. So, I guess there isn't really anything I dislike about Frodo himself. Not that I would be almost slavishly devoted to him like Samwise (who is a character I really admire!), but, well, he's Frodo, what can I say?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:33 PM   #3
Banazir
Hobbit

Oooh, I really like this topic!
OK, what do I like/dislike about Frodo?..

Like: he's very wise, modest, brave, kind, generous, perceptive and has a dark, cynical sense of humor. He's also darn good-looking.

Dislike: he's sometimes too 'noble' in a way, too lofty and estranged from normal people. (The Ring's effects or not, that's pretty annoying).
Also, he's WAY too pessimistic, although it's hard to blame him for that, with the kind of life he had.
Hmm, and he's very secretive and emotionally-challenged, that is, he never shows what he feels, hides all his pain, etc.
I think I had something else, but can't remember it now...
Anyway, I love him to death, like so many other girls. Only to me it's definitely NOT because of Elijah Wood. Can't stand Elijah, regardless of his good performance in the movie.

Last edited by Banazir : 03-08-2002 at 03:36 PM.
Banazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:43 PM   #4
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

like: frodo in general but made the mistake of seeing film b4 books so have elijah stuck eternally in my mind as frodo (not complaining though-not the worst person 2 have stuck in ur head! )
especially liked his whole "by elbereth and Luthien the fair you shall have neither the ring or me" speech.

disliked: not a lot really.
he wasn't my favourite though. that was sam of course. who else.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:00 PM   #5
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
I really like the character of Frodo, and I think the only times I disliked him was when they were in Mordor, before the destruction of The Ring. . .but my reasons for not liking him at that point had nothing to do with Frodo himself, and everything to do with the effects The Ring was having on him. So, I guess there isn't really anything I dislike about Frodo himself. Not that I would be almost slavishly devoted to him like Samwise (who is a character I really admire!), but, well, he's Frodo, what can I say?
Totally agree. I like Frodo, but he isn't my favorite because of what the Ring did to him.
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 09:50 PM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Hmm, there's very little I don't like about Frodo, since he's my favorite character (see screen name ). I like him because he's so very fallible and weak, but he ignores that and goes on the most dangerous and difficult journey possible anyway. And, well, since I like him for his weaknesses, it's hard to find anything I dislike.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:18 AM   #7
Varda-Me
Hobbit

Well, I guess I would have to say it was the whole caste mentality of Frodo. "Me Master," you (Sam) Servant" thing. But, then, like the whole book, that was only a product of Tolkien's mentality at the time. England, mid-century, servant/master class. It was changing, of course, but Tolkied was older and had older ideas. Sometimes it seemed Frodo looked down on Sam, as much as he loved him. I really, really hate to think that, but still....
Varda-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:48 AM   #8
Eruviel Greenleaf

Varda-Me, you bring up a really good point. One thing I really missed in the movie was the class difference stuff, which they sort of skipped over, to my mind. Possibly because both actors are American, and class difference is something rather different here, most especially different in the last 50-some years.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-09-2002, 01:56 AM   #9
Varda-Me
Hobbit

I guess I should add that it wasn't just Frodo who seemed to have the whole caste-conscious thing going - Gandalf did, too, of, course. He "assigned" Sam to Frodo, but not as an equal. Definitely as a servant. But - I say this hypocritically - he saw Sam as an equal to Frodao. Or maybe as a future saviour. And, of course, they were. But still - that servant/master thing is there throughout the book, from their treatment by the elves, to their treatment by Elrond, to ..... you get the point. English caste system. How could Tolkien have portrayed anything else?
Varda-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 06:28 PM   #10
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I really like Frodo. He carrie the Ring all the way to Mount Doom before he succumed to it, and that took will power. What kind bugged me about him was that (it was probably an effect of the Ring) when they got back to the Shire he was so reluctant to fight. Even though his homeland was taken over, he didn't want to use violence.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 06:59 PM   #11
Eruviel Greenleaf

I think, Khadrane, that he had seen enough violence and terror, etc. and didn't want to take part in that. I mean, it would have been nice if he had, but I can understand his desire not to. You'd think it would be Merry and Pippin who had enough of fighting, but then again, they were younger and did not have the burden of the Ring.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-09-2002, 09:02 PM   #12
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Like: He was a pacifist (), and he did have extremely good will power. He had a lot of good points.

Dislike: He was a bit arrogant when thinking about being the saviour of the shire and all (and don't say the ring was affecting him because he hadn't worn it yet), and he was incredibly dependent upon Sam, and of course, the whole caste thing (though I saw a lot of that disappear in the last couple of chapters)

::sob:: I'm only ten pages away from finishing ROTK...
Old 03-10-2002, 01:09 PM   #13
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I like Frodo because he seems so real...but yet very other-worldly and unreal at the same time. He is someone who has a very strong will, but can still be corrupted.

I dislike Frodo, again, because of the caste thing. To me, he seemed to always be dependant on Sam for his well-being, and then gave Sam no other reward than "I'm glad you're with me, Sam." He could, at least, have acknowledged Sam as his only source of survival for the weeks that they were in Mordor, and NOT treated him like a stupid, second-rate servant.
Okay...I know, I'm exaggerating...sorry, I'll shut up now.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:35 PM   #14
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

I like Frodo because he was, smart, brave, stubborn.
he was stubborn when he didn't give to Buromir the ring and when he didn't give to Bilbo the ring too.

I dislike Frodo especially when he was in Mordor because I thought in that moment that he's the most weaker hobit from all the hobits that went to the journey.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 02:28 PM   #15
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I like everything about Frodo. Period.

It's not often you get to see a character do an amazing 180, or for that matter be so strong and so weak at the same time. I don't like your original "I'm here to save the world! Go me!" heroes; I like ones who can get through the job without needing greater superpowers and who aren't full of themselves. The thing I liked best was probably Frodo's change; it showed how different people can become when pushed past the limits of their willpower.

Frodo's a one-of-a-kind. It's hard to dislike anything about him. Or maybe it's just my fault for being one of those people who if given the chance wouldn't change anything about a person: because well, we all make the world go 'round

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 03-10-2002 at 02:38 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 03:09 PM   #16
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

well said!
Old 03-10-2002, 11:07 PM   #17
Eruviel Greenleaf

Indeed, very well said.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-11-2002, 01:42 AM   #18
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Mmm...

I totally agree Rogue Elf!!
I loved Frodo!!! There was nothing about him that I disliked. There was never a time when I thought "Get over it", or "who cares!!"
I felt for Frodo...I was amazed at Frodo!!! There would have been times that I would have chucked the ring away or crumpled under the pressure. He was so innocent and delicate, but strong and determined at the same time!!! I loved him, and that is that!!!
Old 03-11-2002, 03:12 PM   #19
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

I'm agree with Regue Elf halfly. from one side I don't like that strong heroes... but from the other side I don't like Frodo!
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #20
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I liked Frodo in the book. He wasn't the typical "hero" or the "perfect" person. He had faults, he was afraid and he was unsure. Although my favourite charecter was Sam, I couldn't help liking Frodo. I think that the best parts of Frodo are shown during the two towers when Gollum is the guide, and from Moria onwards in the fellowship of the ring. Like Renille said, even though he was a hobbit, he seemed very real and believable.

I really like Frodo but I liked Sam better...he was so cute and sweet.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote