Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-27-2002, 04:43 AM   #1
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Games Console thread!

I want to talk about games console.

I am currently deciding between a playstation 2, x box or gamecube. I've always prefered Nintendo but the others have dvd players for my presious LotR dvd when it comes out.

Can anyone give advice?

What do you all think the greatest games console of all time were?

I loved the N64!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 10:42 AM   #2
aldesign
Elven Warrior

1. I wouldnt buy an X-Box, they have recently fallen into trouble over deals with the Japanese. The Japanese as u all know are the forefront and Computer technology, including games. Its not surprise that the Japanese hate MicroSoft, and as the Xbox is one of their products the Japanese have decided to stop 'i repeat STOP' making games for the Xbox.
This means the Xbox has lost a lot of Up and coming titles, and has lost a large percentage of its game developement. So BEWARE!

2. PS2 is doing very well over here in UK, (as gamecube isnt out yet), and it has DVD capability. One thing i must warm u about, is that PS2 has problems with some WideScreen Dvds. If cant play any of my JP Trilogy dvds with squashing them.
The games available on ps2 are ever increasing in quality, such as TonyHawks3, CrashBandicoot4, SmackDown3, GTA3, HerdyGerdy, Burnout, MetalGearSolid, FF10, DevilMayCry, and Tekken4. ALL TOP GAMES.

3.GameCube. Hmmmm... not out in UK, but its going to be cheaper than PS2. HOWEVER.... lack of DVD player may cause u to back away. as ur not getting multi-usage out of an expencive peice of equipment.
Game wise, i have no idea other then LuigisGhostHouse, and WaveRace. These are the only titles that are being pushed over here for Pre-Release. and to be honest, unless u really want Zelda, more Mario games, and a new Bond game. U might not want to buy a GameCube.

hope this helps
andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 12:15 PM   #3
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

thanks.

I have always loved crash bandicoot!

i know lot of the games who havent yet released here on the gc and they all dont look that bad. but PS2 does have its advantages. oooh. what to do? what to do!!!

Old 04-28-2002, 01:54 PM   #4
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I am a hardcore gamer, and I highly recommend the PS2. It plays DVDs, has killer games, and looks smooth. What more could you want? I have one and it rocks. Oh, and it plays PS1 games too. The Gamecube is alright, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron rocks, but I think it is geared more towards younger kids. Go for the PS2.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 02:37 PM   #5
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

thanks. At least i'll be able to play my LotR dvd on it!

The dvd is ok right? it aint kacked up or anything?

Old 04-28-2002, 06:17 PM   #6
gdl96
the greg the admin

I would also consider gamecube. Although it lacks DVD, all your favorite Nintendo franchises will be coming out this year such as Mario, Metroid, possible Zelda, and much much more. Although PS2 also has some great games out already. I don't recomend XBox though.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 06:31 PM   #7
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

either choose xbox or ps2..
xbox has better graphics than any console on the market..sega has recently discontinued their dreamcast so most of the games which were being developed for it is now going to xbox, such as Shenmue2..the first one was awesome, im looking forward to it..plus it has a very large amount of memory blocks already..
ps2 has a large selection of games..but many people have been complaining about their consoles not reading cd's but reading dvd roms..and the only ps2 game that can compare to one of x-box's is Metal Gear Solid2 (which everyone should play)...
if u heard about the xbox controller being too big and bulky dont worry about it because their will soon be a controller that is the exact same just smaller....i also read in a magazine somewhere that their will be an adapter that u can buy soon, that plugs into the xbox and can hook up to a dual pad playstation controller..
many of the most popular ps2 games are in the works or already out for xbox such as Onimusha..the only thing that should hold u back from buyin an xbox is the selection of games, but that will soon be cured in the later part of this year
Old 04-28-2002, 08:02 PM   #8
frodosgirlfriend
Elven Warrior

Location: I live in la la land, you know, the place you go during math class
i have a game cube and i LOVE it, i would go with that. Super Smash Bros. 2 is really cool! the new sonic is awsome 2. i had a ps2 and that was cool, but i didn't like anygames exept cash bandcoot (sp?) and spiro the dragon which r both PS1 games. Nintendo comes out with the best games (Zelda, Banjo Kazooie, & Mario) and there's gunna be a new Mario & new Zelda on gamecube. if i where u i'd get a gamecube.

---------------------------------------------
AND FGF'S MOST GORGEOUS MAN ALIVE AT THE MOMENT'S AWARD GOES TO.........
BRANDON BOYD (yes once again) !!!!! WOOOO!!!
----------------------------------------------
Hottness has no count for age.... thats why I'm merrying a forty year old who goes by the name of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Fortune cookies tell all, so when i got the cookie telling me to date my love i became a stalker to Johnny Depp, and when i find him my excuse will be "the cookie made me do it"
------------------------------------------------
I'm not stupid, I'm special
"But why is the rum gone?"
"Captian, Catian Jack Sparrow"
"pa-pa-pa parsnip, parla, --"
"Just don't do anything... stupid"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"
~Captian Jack Sparrow
Read my FP.net story!!!
frodosgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 08:17 PM   #9
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

...gamecube seems to be for more of well "kid" gamers..
and in my opinion sonic was the worst sega game ever...and thats my point...gamecube doesn thave any good games!
Old 04-28-2002, 10:54 PM   #10
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

My DVD player works fine. The volume is a bit soft for some reason, but I've never heard of anyone else's PS2 having that problem, so it must be just mine. You can buy a special DVD remote so that you don't have to use your Dual Shock, but I use my Dual Shock anyway. (As opposed to X-Box which requires that you buy a remote to enable the DVD feature, and Gamecube which doesn't even play DVDs) But then, you're not buying the system just to play DVDs, are you? You want something that has killer games too. *cough*cough*PS2*cough*

Old 04-28-2002, 11:28 PM   #11
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

i have an xbox and it has the best graphics out of any system plus you have the hard drive so you dont need a memory card, but it reqires an extra remote wich cost 20-30 dollars to play dvds. it also cost more than the other 2. ps 2 is fun and has really good graphics/games as well as a reliable dvd player, one of its drawbacks is that it only has 2 players by default unless you buy the multi tap. gamecube is really good and has good games but no dvd.
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 04:51 PM   #12
gdl96
the greg the admin

Although it is true XBox may have the best graphics (just look at DOA3), they only have a slim margin over what Gamecube is capable of. Many GC games look as beautiful, and some even more beautiful, than many XBox games. Just look at Luigi's Mansion (although not a great game, the graphics are great, especially the awsome lighting effects) and the new Resident Evil remake, which looks absolutely amazing, and IMO, better than DOA3 in graphics.

But really graphics shouldn't matter too much when deciding which of these three consoles to get, because they are all capable of basically the same thing.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:02 PM   #13
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

no, the three consoles arent capable of about the same thing..ps2 at its best couldnt match the graphics of doa3, save possibly metal gear solid2..but even that is coming out for xbox..
Old 04-29-2002, 06:22 PM   #14
gdl96
the greg the admin

True, it's not on the same level as XBox or Cube, but it puts out more than acceptable graphics.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:25 PM   #15
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

aye, the ps2 has been a breakthrough
Old 04-29-2002, 10:39 PM   #16
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Graphics don't really mean anything. It all comes down to the games. Look at the original Playstation and the N64. The N64 had 64 bits as opposed to the PS's 32. Better grapics = gaming superiority right? Not necessarily. Most people (like me) would say that even though the N64 had its fair share of great games (Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Legend of Zelda, etc...) the Playstation had mass appeal and therefore won that battle of the console war. All the consoles are now basically on a level playing field since they all have 128 bits. So what if the X-Box can produce real-life swaying grass with 75,000 polygons per blade? Who cares if the Gamecube can make 7 layers of textures? Like I said at the beginning, it all comes down to the games.

Thank you for listening to my ravings. I had to get that out of my system.

*steps down off soapbox*

Old 04-29-2002, 10:44 PM   #17
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I'm going to be honest with you... I have no idea. But I just wanted to say that my favorite game system so far would have to be good old regular old nintendo... lol. My favorite all time game... definitely is Mario 3. I still haven't mastered it yet...

¿Which came first... the chicken or the egg?

¿How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 10:42 AM   #18
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Quote:
So what if the X-Box can produce real-life swaying grass with 75,000 polygons per blade? Who cares if the Gamecube can make 7 layers of textures?
me
Old 04-30-2002, 02:29 PM   #19
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

*strawberry finishes piecing together head after it exploded with massive information haemorrage*

you arent helping guys!!!!!!!

i'm deciding between ps2 and gamecube as i have ruled x box out. I'm just not interested.

it might help a lot if i knew what LotR games are coming out and on what. cos if none are coming out on gamecube then no way am i bothering with that.

So have a lot of you already got gamecubes then? In the u.k there not being released till friday!!!

Old 04-30-2002, 03:43 PM   #20
gdl96
the greg the admin

You want LOTR games?

OK...there is a LOTR game being made for Gameboy Advance and X-Box based on the books, there is one for all three consoles from EA that is based on the movie liscence, and there is one based on The Hobbit for Gamecube. I think that's all.

Mario 3 rules. My cousin has my old NES