Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2005, 02:40 AM   #1
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Favourite Television Series

I have found that the best way - by FAR - of enjoying a TV series is to rent (or buy) the entire season or seasons on DVD, and just watch them like that. I have no patience for normal TV; I cannot abide the constant deluge of advertising or the annoying tendency I'll get to flip channels forever. So, I get them all at once on DVD and THEN it's fun.
Lately, it's been "Alias", such guilty fun! Last year, it was all about "The Sopranos", which I am unashamed to admit I am thoroughly addicted to. Anyone else have any faves that are noteworthy?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:54 AM   #2
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Easily "Lost". It has Locke in it. Yeah.

Last edited by Andúril : 08-06-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I was actually contemplating buying Smallville seasons 1 - 4, but then I got thinking: How many times will I actually watch them?, they are rather expensive you see, nearly 800 SEK per season, and that's a bit much for a bunch of dvd's.

My favourite tv-series are these:

the first 100 ep's of Friends and the first - fourth seasons of Gilmore Girls and the first - third seasons of Ed. And, of course, Charmed.

CSI, CSI: New York, Navy CIS, JAG.

Midsomer Murders, Morse, Frost and Murder City.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

The thing is, Grey Wolf, you can go into any large-chain video rental store and just rent the episodes, rather than having to buy them. I have no idea what you've got available to you there in Sweden, but here in L.A. there's quite a few; the place I've got a membership is blockbuster video which is a great place for stuff like new releases & TV shows. It's a terrible store for classic films and foreign stuff, though; I go to a small independent video rental store for the more eclectic, artistic or cerebral stuff.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I used to love the show JAG! Those CSI shows look kinda interesting - probably a little gruesome, what with all the autopsy/forensics shots, though.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I used to love the show JAG! Those CSI shows look kinda interesting - probably a little gruesome, what with all the autopsy/forensics shots, though.

CSI is a pretty good show. The characters are interesting and the forensics aren't too terribly gruesome or I wouldn't be able to watch it.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Does anybody happen to know when they're going to show a new season of "The Sopranos"? It hasn't been on in AGES, and I'm going through some lengthy, painful withdrawal symptoms, waiting for a new episode.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:41 AM   #8
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
The thing is, Grey Wolf, you can go into any large-chain video rental store and just rent the episodes, rather than having to buy them. I have no idea what you've got available to you there in Sweden, but here in L.A. there's quite a few; the place I've got a membership is blockbuster video which is a great place for stuff like new releases & TV shows. It's a terrible store for classic films and foreign stuff, though; I go to a small independent video rental store for the more eclectic, artistic or cerebral stuff.
Perhaps I could get hold of Smallville somewhat cheaper somewhere else (I do have, quite close from where I live, a department store which is pretty well stocked. Perhaps one can order the seasons from them. I will check.)
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:03 AM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Three Christmases ago I got a 16-disc box set of three full seasons of my favourite television programme, that being the old British spy show The Avengers. After several years, I'm finally only an episode away from the whole collection.

I love the trend of entire series being released on DVD, though. It's also good if you want to find out more about a series that isn't on television often, as you can go rent a whole season and watch it sequentially. I did that yesterday with Samurai Jack, which I now think is one of the best series I've encountered in years.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:07 AM   #10
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot
I did that yesterday with Samurai Jack, which I now think is one of the best series I've encountered in years.
i agree... awesome show!

i don't watch tv much these days, but with the kids it's always cartoons when i do
Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #11
sun-star
Lady of Letters

DVD boxsets are a godsend for those of us who love US programmes and hate UK scheduling. The West Wing is hardly ever on terrestrial here, but I've got series 3-5 (5 hasn't even been shown here yet, and probably never will be...). Ditto Seinfeld, which I never would have seen if they hadn't started releasing the early series on DVD. Other favourites: The OC (guilty pleasure ), Friends, Frasier, Inspector Morse and Midsomer Murders (mainly because they're set in and around Oxford), The Simpsons, etc. Loved the new Dr Who series too.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #12
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
DVD boxsets are a godsend for those of us who love US programmes and hate UK scheduling.
Hah. A buddy of mine in London mentioned that Lost is starting only this week. The second season should be starting in a few months in the States and elsewhere, IIRC.

Last edited by Andúril : 08-08-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #13
TheCheat
Enting

*sings* The Simpsons..... do do do *cough* sorry but hands down my favorite is the Simpsons.. I grew up watching them! hehe
Old 08-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #14
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Yeah! The Simpsons do definitely rock - all those wry philosophical statements and that inimitable tongue-in-cheek satire!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #15
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
I did that yesterday with Samurai Jack, which I now think is one of the best series I've encountered in years.
Samurai Jack rocks. I was considering buying some of the DVDs. I love how they can tell a story with almost no dialogue.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #16
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Three Christmases ago I got a 16-disc box set of three full seasons of my favourite television programme, that being the old British spy show The Avengers. After several years, I'm finally only an episode away from the whole collection.

I adored Mrs. Peel. Wanted to be just like her - strong, smart, and beautiful!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:01 AM   #17
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ahh, yes, Emma Peel! I have read about The Avengers, and the Peel character. Wish my video store had this show available on DVD to rent; I'd love to check it out.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #18
Draken
Elf Lord

'Edge of Darkness' by a light year. If you haven't seen it I envy you cos you can go and buy the DVD and watch if for the first time. The best plot, the best script, the best acting and the best score for a TV series I have ever seen. After seeing it the last 20 years have been quite a televisual anticlimax to be honest.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #19
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

I've got both seasons of the Lonesome Dove TV series, though I am partial to the seond season. I also got the trhee seasons of Tour of Duty, but they had to change the soundtrack due to royalty issues. I'm glad I still have my old wornout but very much playable VHS tapes I made back in the day. I'll have to master my own to DVD when I get the proper computer equipment and software.

I got Secret Agent Man, and The Prisoner.

If they come out with the new Kojack series first season I'll get that.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #20
TheCheat
Enting

Quote:
Yeah! The Simpsons do definitely rock - all those wry philosophical statements and that inimitable tongue-in-cheek satire!
I feel if the Simpsons haven't made fun of you, you're not in... lol "What do you have to drink?" "Crab juice or Mountain Dew" "EEWW!! I'll take the crab juice!!"