Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Favourite director

Who is your favourite director? And why?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:12 PM   #2
gdl96
the greg the admin

Kubrick.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:42 PM   #3
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

No way could I just name one....

Favorite directors are those that do more than simply tell a story well, but infuse the narrative with their personality, or point of view. I like a director to have a distinctive voice.

Here's a quick list off the top of my head:
Howard Hawks
Preston Sturges
Stanley Donen
Billy Wilder
Woody Allen
Robert Altman
Martin Scorsese
Fritz Lang
Alfred Hitchcock
Roman Polanski
Sergei Eisenstein
Wim Wenders
Federico Fellini
Orson Welles
Akira Kurosawa

But I'm sure I've forgotten lots...
Old 03-12-2003, 04:43 PM   #4
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

At the moment it's Peter Jackson. But i also really like Spielburg, Cameron (thats the one who did Titanic isn't it?!)
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Okay, to my dishonour I don't know half of the directors you named, Hasty ent.
But I also know many good ones, but there is really a lack of woman in that branch.
I love Roman Polanski, he put on a really cool musical in Vienna. and the movie with Johnny Depp (I always forget the english title)
Old 03-13-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Lalaith, you probably do know most if not all of them, but their movies, not their names. Go to www.imdb.com and you'll find that you've seen a lot of their work.

I agree about not enough women directors, but hopefully that will change in time. The history of filmmaking is no different than other fields, -- it's been male-dominated since its beginning.

Have you seen any films by Agnieszka Holland?
Old 03-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #7
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

mine are the WATCHOWSKI BROTHERS, the guys who wrote and directed THE MATRIX.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #8
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
mine are the WATCHOWSKI BROTHERS, the guys who wrote and directed THE MATRIX.
Back to the famous Matix. I love it.

Quote:
I agree about not enough women directors, but hopefully that will change in time. The history of filmmaking is no different than other fields, -- it's been male-dominated since its beginning.
As I want to become a director it is my one big goal to be a very famous female one. (I'm female already, but the famous director is still missing)
No, I haven't seen a movie by Agnieszka Holland, but I wanted to see Total Eclipse for a long time.
Didn't know that Wim Wender is german. And I think I have seen movies of most of your favourite directors.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:35 PM   #9
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Agnieszka made Olivier, Olivier -- a brilliant film. Also made Europa, Europa -- the English title to Hitlerjunge Salomon.

A great female director: Lina Wertmuller. How could I have forgotten??? She made Pasqualino Settebellezze (1976) (aka Seven Beauties) and Travolti da un insolito destino nell'azzurro mare d'agosto (1974) (aka Swept Away... by an Unusual Destiny in the Blue Sea of August).
Old 03-13-2003, 03:42 PM   #10
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Yeah, they might be great and make really good movies, but they are not so big like Spielberg, Lucas and whoever.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:21 PM   #11
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Yeah, they might be great and make really good movies, but they are not so big like Spielberg, Lucas and whoever.
'big' and 'great' rarely go together in my book...
Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron, etc may be big, but I think they are far from great
Old 03-14-2003, 11:07 AM   #12
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Now I have to defend Lucas and Spielberg. Some of their movies were really good.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:12 PM   #13
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent
'big' and 'great' rarely go together in my book...
Nooo... I think that both Spielberg and Lucas are great (maybe not Cameron though).
I mean, just look at their great masterpieces, Star Wars and Band of Brothers as some of them. You have to be great after creating such great things.

The directors are like painters. If a painter makes a fantastic painting that will be remembered for hundreds of years, the painter will be considered a great painter.
Of course every individual has his own taste, but has to admit that if a painting has been well-known for hundred years, it must be something special about it.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #14
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Nope, can't agree, sorry.

Masterpieces? Citizen Kane (Welles), La Dolce Vita (Fellini), Taxi Driver (Scorsese), Some Like it Hot (Wilder), Rear Window (Hitchcock), Nashville (Altman), Interiors (Allen), M (Lang), Seven Samurai (Kurosawa), Battle Potemkin (Eisenstein), etc, are absolutely in a different league. Star Wars isn't worthy of sharing the same marquee.

Now don't misunderstand me. I saw the first Star Wars when it came out, and enjoyed it. It's earned a position in film history, but can't compare to the masterpieces of directors like those I've named above.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:04 PM   #15
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Masterpieces? Citizen Kane (Welles), La Dolce Vita (Fellini), Taxi Driver (Scorsese), Some Like it Hot (Wilder), Rear Window (Hitchcock), Nashville (Altman), Interiors (Allen), M (Lang), Seven Samurai (Kurosawa), Battle Potemkin (Eisenstein), etc, are absolutely in a different league. Star Wars isn't worthy of sharing the same marquee.
Okay, think you could name a movie of each of your favourite directors imediately.
But I thought that Star Wars was great. It just doesn't belong into the same branch like these movies, I guess.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #16
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent
Nope, can't agree, sorry.

Now don't misunderstand me. I saw the first Star Wars when it came out, and enjoyed it. It's earned a position in film history, but can't compare to the masterpieces of directors like those I've named above.
I agree with you. I also enjoyed the first Star Wars movies. I enjoyed them so much that I think Lucas is a great director. But as you say Star Wars can't be compared to the greatest movies, made by directors who might be even greater than Lucas.
Star Wars and Lucas may be great, but there are always movies and directors that are better.
But I still believe that the Star Wars saga is a mastepiece.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 04:52 PM   #17
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

wait wait.... no one has mentioned Coppola or John Boorman yet???

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:24 PM   #18
gdl96
the greg the admin

Coppola is great, Insidious Rex. I'm just surprised nobody has backed up Kubrick yet.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:37 AM   #19
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
Coppola is great, Insidious Rex. I'm just surprised nobody has backed up Kubrick yet.
Ive got your back there. I just watched 2001 again last night actually.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:44 AM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

My favourite director is Kubrick, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. I also like Hitchcock, Lean, Coppola, Scorsese, Lang, etc, etc.