Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2001, 10:08 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

merry VS pippin

who do you think was the "better of the two"

who would you take on an adventure AND why

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 11:10 AM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I think I would take Merry. He seemed more mature and sensable.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 11:35 AM   #3
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Agree. Merry.
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 11:50 AM   #4
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Pippen.

1. I felt like being contrary.
2. I always liked him. He seemed a lot like me. =)
Old 11-16-2001, 11:53 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by fireworks19
Pippen.

1. I felt like being contrary.
2. I always liked him. He seemed a lot like me. =)
That must be awful hard on your parents.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 12:10 PM   #6
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

They hate me.
What I meant was, isn't Pippen kind of lazy and into the music at Rivendell? That's how I am. =)
Old 11-16-2001, 02:41 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

If anything Merry and Pippin confuse me, I can never remember which ones which except when I'm reading the Lord of the Rings, me and friend today got annoyed very much in a discussion about the death of the Witch King.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 05:55 PM   #8
Finglas
Enting

Treebeard

I like Merry more than Pippin. Pippin was just a little too sarcastic for my liking. In fact he reminds me of Wayfarer a little.
Finglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 05:59 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Who? Me?

I suppose Pippin's better than Glaurung. Somehow 'haha, you've impregnated your sister' isn't my kind of humour.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:53 PM   #10
Varda
Elven Warrior

Pippin's a little slacker, but he's got a good heart... that's not how I am MOST of the time, but being a college student at ucsc I can definitely relate... and he just had this great curiosity and childishness about him... and he always got into trouble... so yeah.. i just found him more interesting
Old 11-17-2001, 03:37 PM   #11
Grendel
Hobbit

As far as which character I like better, I suppose Pippin. He has a better sense of humor, a more positive attitude, and is more curious. His curiosity, however, gets him into trouble (throws the stone in the well at Moria, looks into the Palantir). Merry is older, more reliable, and more useful in a fight. I would take him along on an adventure, rather than risk my life with that "fool of a Took", a label Gandalf once chided him with.

Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 06:04 PM   #12
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
If I was Beregond I'd want Pippin, if I was Eoywen I'd want Merry, but for a New Years Eve party I'd want Pippin deffinatly. His antics would keep you awake ALL night long and the two of us together would send the country into a state of panic. But if it was just sitting by the river and talking I'd want to have Merry. It all depends on what mood your in, if you're in a somber mood you'd want to have Frodo or Merry and if you want some cute poetry or someone to make you laugh you'd want Sam or Pippin. Just depends. But I like Pippin better then Merry for sure
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 08:59 PM   #13
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

I'd have to agree with what seems to be the consensus opinion. If I'm out for a beer at the Green Dragon, Pippin's my man. If I'm trying to make it across the Wild on a dangerous quest, give me Merry every time.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 04:46 AM   #14
KingElessar8
Hobbit

Pippin is certainly the more interesting/vivid character. Merrys personality has always seems a little ill-defined to me, for a Tolkien character. Hes a bit like like Frodo, sometimes, and hes a bit like Pippin, sometimes (esp, when they are together) - I think Tolkien meant for him to be sort of dashing and daring, but Im not sure he really succeeded, except for maybe in the early scenes with the Old Forest. Even in crowded "Fellowship" scenes, Pippin manages to stand out, while Merry stays mostly in the background.
KingElessar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 12:24 PM   #15
Miríel
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

I like Pippin much better than Merry. I think Pippin is the funniest hobbit ever. His not my favourite but I've always liked him better than Merry, because Merry was always in the background and I didn't even notice him at first, before Pippin was taket to Minas Tirith, and even then Merry stayed in back.
(But I like the way Merry take action in Shire when they got back!)
Miríel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 04:34 PM   #16
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Completely agree with all you guys. I like Pippin better; he's light-hearted and funny and immature in an amusing way. But Merry would probably be better to take on a quest, since he's wiser and more dependable.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 11:07 PM   #17
Quickbeam
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Grendel
As far as which character I like better, I suppose Pippin. He has a better sense of humor, a more positive attitude, and is more curious. His curiosity, however, gets him into trouble (throws the stone in the well at Moria, looks into the Palantir). Merry is older, more reliable, and more useful in a fight. I would take him along on an adventure, rather than risk my life with that "fool of a Took", a label Gandalf once chided him with.

Grendel
I was just about to post this exact same thing, but then I read yours, so I just decided to quote it and say DITTO!
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 01:24 AM   #18
Grendel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Quickbeam

I was just about to post this exact same thing, but then I read yours, so I just decided to quote it and say DITTO!
I feel a little bit like Rush Limbaugh, but thanks!

Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 02:17 AM   #19
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Pippin gets quite a bit more coverage and development than Merry, for sure. I mean, we see them both grow (physically and emotionally), but Merry has always seemed like "the fourth hobbit" to me for the second half of Fellowship and pretty much all of Two Towers...

But they're both great. Merry is sort of a Han Solo of the hobbits... he's got nothing to do with the Ring directly, yet he's the more experienced of the two (him and Pippin I mean).
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 12:09 PM   #20
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I agree with the Pippin people. His immaturity and innocence makes up for all his laziness in my mind. He also seemed alot more self confident than Merry, who seemed always to be calling himself "a useless piece of baggage" when in reality he was an of the most integral parts of the company. I mean, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli wouldn't have run for straight days just to find useless pieces of baggage, would they?
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote